James Cameron's "Avatar"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, the criticisms from the people that aren't screaming "MASTERPIECE!" seem to be the same ones people had with the Star Wars prequels, and I'm wondering why Cameron is getting more of a pass than Lucas did for the same issues.

That's easy: 15 years of fan expectations.

I just got done watching that 70-minute review of Phantom Menace, holy shit. I will pay to have him break down the following two films, and to hear more about his pizza roll murders.

I saw the midnight screening last night. I was ready to hate it and had no intention of watching but my boyfriend bought tickets and invited me. As predictable as the storyline was, I enjoyed it. 3D is a must. I still don't see this movie breaking even though. 500 million...yeeesh

For me it's worth seeing only in 3D-the visuals are stunning. I enjoyed the first part of it but the last part for me was just laughable. The end confrontation was like Transformers (which I've never seen but I have an idea what it's like from seeing clips, etc.) and Terminator and just so over the top. The military guy especially was just an awful cardboard stereotype-and what hammy acting and dialogue :yikes: .

So to pay the extra for 3D for a visual escape for almost three hours, well you could do worse with the money and get less for the money I guess.

Whatever the possible messages of this movie are-does it really matter? And I liked Sam Worthington-at least he underplays rather than overacting and he sure is cute.

That's easy: 15 years of fan expectations.

I just got done watching that 70-minute review of Phantom Menace, holy shit. I will pay to have him break down the following two films, and to hear more about his pizza roll murders.

I agreed with a lot of his points, though some were obviously very nit-picky, and many things he claims to be illogical are easily explained.

The most intelligent thing he brought up, which isn't an original observation, is how the climax is divided up into four separate storylines which do not flow together, despite Ben Burtt's talent (and wishes).

I watched the first three parts to that. Going down into his basement was hilarious.

I doubt he'll do them because he doesn't have enough ammo, as many of his issues with TPM were corrected. For example, Clones is only cutting between two plots in the final stretch of the film (like Empire), and the difference is astounding in terms of maintaining a consistent tone.

I nearly pissed myself when he abruptly interrupted his review with the picture of that wiffle ball thing

I watched the first 10 minutes of that thing, did not laugh once, cringed a few times and found his voice to be overly cloying, and so I will not see the rest of it.

I agreed with a lot of his points, though some were obviously very nit-picky, and many things he claims to be illogical are easily explained.

The most intelligent thing he brought up, which isn't an original observation, is how the climax is divided up into four separate storylines which do not flow together, despite Ben Burtt's talent (and wishes).

I doubt he'll do them because he doesn't have enough ammo, as many of his issues with TPM were corrected. For example, Clones is only cutting between two plots in the final stretch of the film (like Empire), and the difference is astounding in terms of maintaining a consistent tone.

That was a great observation, along with asking who the real protagonist is and their motivations, etc...

"Qui-Gon needs more Gin..."

Is that footage of Lucas and Co's reaction to the original cut on the DVD's special features? If so, I need to watch that. The look at that asshat McCallum's face is priceless, as is the reference to Rick Berman.

I nearly pissed myself when he abruptly interrupted his review with the picture of that wiffle ball thing

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR FACE?!"

So I just came back from a packed 11:50 AM screening, first thing I have to say about it is fkljglkglkg. Sorry, I'm still slobbering over how pants-shittingly awesome it was.

They all seemed pretty engaged, either that or disinterested. Lots of stunned silence.

I went on Friday to a 3:30 pm showing (3-D) Irvine, CA
and it was about 25% full house. Not a lot extra reactions than any other 3-d film I have seen in the last couple of years. I think there was more crowd reaction at the Star Trek movie, but that was a full house, 7:30 Friday evening.

I think this film will work almost as well in 2D. How much more box office would Titanic or Terminator have done if they had been in 3-D?

The effects, CGI or whatever it is, is a big step forward.

I wanted to see it today, but it looks like the roads are be to dangerous.

So I'm gunna stay home and either watch Momento, Pulp Fiction or Aliens...

Which one should I pick?

the one you have not seen for the longest time.

i'd go with aliens or momento (there is a bit of aliens in Avatar, man in robot machine)

i have watch PF enough already. I will have to give it some more time off.

I wasn't expecting a second coming. Just a technological marvel and a quality action flick. Which it was. It met all my expectations quite comfortably.

I should also add, that although I got to the IMAX theater a good 45 minutes early I still got stuck in the very front row of the theater. Fucking awful. It was horribly uncomfortable to watch, like staring up at at a 100 ft wall trying to make out the picture. Plus I missed the first 5 minutes of the movie because it took an hour to get us all into the theater for God knows what reason... they were letting like 5 people in at a time... I have no idea what was going on. Fucking disaster of a screening.

I want to go watch the film again at a different theater some time this week for a better viewing before I really dig into it.

I saw it last night as well. Was hoping for Imax, but had to settle for regular old theatre screen... I was absolutely blown away with the CG. I had my doubts going in, but they certainly pulled it off. The realism is like nothing I've seen before. Gollum to the nth degree (actually, Gollum looks like a puppet compared to this. No foolin'). If you didnt know any better, you'd think they were actors in make up. It was really that good. And the main Na'vi girl is super hot too. I was hoping for a nipple slip throughout the movie, but we were only treated to some side boob. I felt the 3D worked particularly well. It really does immerse you into the screen. Its not the cheap shit-floating-right-infront-of-your-face 3D either. The screen just seems to have a depth that feels extremely natural. Theres more a sense of being there in the scenes than with 2D movies. Especially the Bioluminescent forest at night scene :drool::drool::drool: The 3D technology doesnt seem to handle motion blur perfectly though. I noticed some jittering when people were moving quickly. but thats a minor complaint.... I dont quite understand all the negativity about the shallowness of characters. A couple might be somewhat cliche, but you'll see that in most films of this nature. Definitely nothing worse than you would find in Terminator... So ya, I loved the movie. The CG exceeded my expectations in every way. I'll be going back to see it on the Imax screen in the next couple weeks

The CG really is photoreal 99% of the time. It's pretty jaw-dropping. Nothing else even comes within spitting distance. You nearly forget what you're watching isn't entirely live action after about 20 minutes. Same with the 3D. It's pretty perfect, even from my horrible front row perspective. Though it did take about 20 minutes for my eyes to fully adjust (and after that period I never noticed any distinct motion blur either... I'm thinking that too is merely a matter of acclimation). You absolutely forget about it, and you watch the film with all the clarity a familiarity of a 2D film, only with all the depth and immersion the stereo offers of course.

The crowd was really into it too. There were applause when the credits started to roll

Back
Top Bottom