Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2010, 02:31 AM   #526
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:42 AM
this article is pretty good

Ask a critc: Lowdown on IMAX

an IMAX screen is 1.43:1 just a little wider than an old tv 1.33:1

Yes the film maker chooses what to put on the IMAX screen

TDK did switch between both wide screen images and the 1.43:1 aspect ratio.
I found the 1.43 scenes distracting, as resembling standard TV image aspect. Did Nolan lope off the sides because he deemed them not important to the film or did he shoot 29% more image above the wide screen image?

I think he loped off the sides, perhaps he did a little of both. I guess it is not fair to say something is missing because it is the film maker's choice.

I will back away from saying he loped off 2 of the 12 Apostles in the Last Supper. If anything he may have loped off some blank wall space of either side of the Monalisa.

I guess it may come down to personal preference. I just prefer watching the story or action on wider screens and don't like the aspect ratios switching during the film.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:22 AM   #527
Blue Crack Addict

well,

looks like your information is good

Quote:
In Imax presentations of The Dark Knight, shots filmed in Imax will fill the screen, and material shot in 35mm anamorphic will appear in the center of the frame. (Hard cuts are planned between the two types of images.) For standard 35mm presentations, a 2.40:1 image will be extracted from the Imax footage; Nolan and editor Lee Smith could choose which portion of the frame to extract, depending on the shot. “Even in the 2.40:1 presentations, the Imax sequences will be sharper and clearer, with improved contrast and no trace of grain,” says Pfister.

American Cinematographer: Batman Looms Larger

I saw StarTrek in a crowded IMAX theather, I had to sit very near the front on the side. I was too close to enjoy the whole image.

I will go back to IMAX and sit in the back of the theater and see how I like viewing from that location.

I just think our human vision is more suited for a wide screen verses a square screen.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:30 AM   #528
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:42 AM
An appalling story. I was insulted by how predictable it was... great effects, yes. that's where the goodness ends. I'd rather watch an episode of Roseann than endure such a pansy ass story. The two sides are painted in such extreme colours that there is no conflict whatsoever. If I wasn't writing from my phone and if I cared enough I'd be more precise in my reasoning, but I'm not and I don't.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #529
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Yeah, except they aren't. End of story.
Exactly. Another example would be Kubrick's movies on DVD. Instead of "Pan and scan" he chose to use the entire negative so movies like The Shining you can see the opening shots with helicopter blades that you wouldn't see in the theater. This was to avoid the pan and scan that many early DVDs had.

Imax has more lines of resolution. Unless a person is sensitive to headaches from 3D they should opt for the IMAX presentation.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #530
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
this article is pretty good

Ask a critc: Lowdown on IMAX

an IMAX screen is 1.43:1 just a little wider than an old tv 1.33:1

Yes the film maker chooses what to put on the IMAX screen

I found the 1.43 scenes distracting, as resembling standard TV image aspect. Did Nolan lope off the sides because he deemed them not important to the film or did he shoot 29% more image above the wide screen image?

I think he loped off the sides, perhaps he did a little of both. I guess it is not fair to say something is missing because it is the film maker's choice.

I will back away from saying he loped off 2 of the 12 Apostles in the Last Supper. If anything he may have loped off some blank wall space of either side of the Monalisa.

I guess it may come down to personal preference. I just prefer watching the story or action on wider screens and don't like the aspect ratios switching during the film.

The IMAX-shot scenes put you right in the action, on a six story screen those scenes in Hong Kong make you feel like you're right there looking up at those buildings. I think the aspect-ratio change would be aggravating on home video, but it didn't bother me at all in theater.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #531
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Was Avatar all in 1.43.1?
Old 01-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #532
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrARoundabout View Post
Was Avatar all in 1.43.1?
Avatar in IMAX is shown in 1.85:1 it's full native aspect ratio. You have nothing to worry about. This whole discussion was fairly ridiculous to begin with, really.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #533
ONE
love, blood, life

Avatar in IMAX is just a DMR, like all other Hollywood films that have been released in IMAX except for TDK.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #534
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^
Old 01-18-2010, 02:21 AM   #535
Blue Crack Addict

This cartoon will certainly pass Titanic, could go over 2 billion.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #536
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomerang96 View Post
An appalling story. I was insulted by how predictable it was... great effects, yes. that's where the goodness ends. I'd rather watch an episode of Roseann than endure such a pansy ass story. The two sides are painted in such extreme colours that there is no conflict whatsoever. If I wasn't writing from my phone and if I cared enough I'd be more precise in my reasoning, but I'm not and I don't.
Thank you for confirming what I knew this would be. I've resisted the hype because I know I'll just walk out feeling ripped off like goddamn Titanic all over again.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #537
ONE
love, blood, life

UB its not the most original story but don't miss out on an awesome theatrical experience for that counter-culture reason. Its not on the level with Titanic in terms of annoying hype versus enjoyment.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #538
ONE
love, blood, life

Arpanet
originally posted June 4, 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz22 View Post
re: starwars
An appalling story. I was insulted by how predictable it was... great effects, yes. that's where the goodness ends. I'd rather watch an episode of Maude than endure such a pansy ass story. The two sides are painted in such extreme colours that there is no conflict whatsoever. If I wasn't writing in my Pinto and if I cared enough I'd be more precise in my reasoning, but I'm not and I don't.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #539
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
UB its not the most original story but don't miss out on an awesome theatrical experience for that counter-culture reason. Its not on the level with Titanic in terms of annoying hype versus enjoyment.
I'm not counter culture, per se. I just fucking hate James Cameron and his awful movies. I'm also not a big special effects person - I mean, I like them if they bring something "more" to the table, but when they're the main course and the appetizers, I'll pass, if you get my culinary references.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:36 PM   #540
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
I'm not counter culture, per se. I just fucking hate James Cameron and his awful movies. I'm also not a big special effects person - I mean, I like them if they bring something "more" to the table, but when they're the main course and the appetizers, I'll pass, if you get my culinary references.
Eat shit.

Did you pick up on that culinary reference?

Tags