James Cameron's "Avatar"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
'Dear John' Takes Down 'Avatar' at Friday Box Office
Feb. 6, 2010, 1:58 PM EST

By Daniel Frankel
TheWrap

It was expected that Sony's "Dear John" might challenge "Avatar" for this weekend's box-office crown, but nobody said anything about a rout, much less anything about the teen-targeted romantic drama having a $35 million weekend.

But scratch your blue Na'vi head and rub your big yellow 3D eyes -- that's exactly what happened. Starring "Mamma Mia!'s" Amanda Seyfried and "G.I. Joe's" Channing Tatum as war-torn lovers, "Dear John" raced out to a $13.6 million Friday at North American theaters, according to studio estimates, putting it on pace for the biggest opening ever for a Screen Gems-label film (2005's "Exorcism of Emily Rose" holds the current mark at $30 million).

"Mid-twenties was the highest number I heard from optimistic whispers in the hall," said one Sony official. "this was a fantastic start."

Tracked to do around $25 million on the high end, "Dear John" -- fully financed by Relativity Media at a production cost of around $25 million -- could end the weekend with more than $35 million in domestic grosses.

Finally relegated to No. 2 after seven rather auspicious weeks, Fox's "Avatar" took in $6.2 million Friday, registering only a 17 percent week-to-week drop.

James Cameron's 3D film, the now the biggest domestic, foreign and worldwide grosser ever with nearly $2.1 billion in global receipts, is tracking to finish with about $22 million in North America over the three-day weekend period.

Also opening wide this weekend, Lionsgate John Travolta action thriller "From Paris with Love" got off to a soft start, grossing just under $3 million at 2,722 engagements. Picked to take in somewhere in the mid-teens this weekend, the film, directed by Pierre Morel (the guy who did last year's Fox hit "Taken"), is on pace for only about an $8 million weekend.

Avatar's number 1 days at the U S Box Office are probably over.

Next week it will not be in the top 2.

Depending on the theater counts, I still expect it to keep racking up great all time totals. It could do 2.5 billion world wide.

and it should move from 21 on the all time adjusted list, to around number 15 or better.
Quite an accomplishment when you look at the competition for leisure time entertainment today verses the past.

I think Avatar could beat Dear John next week. I do expect V D to be no. 1

Theater count is the important thing.

Theater count is the important thing.

wow,

look at these theater counts for Friday

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief
Fantasy
Uma Thurman
Pierce Brosnan
Rosario Dawson Fox 3,300

Valentine's Day
Romantic Comedy
Jessica Alba
Jessica Biel
Bradley Cooper Warner Bros. 3,600+

The Wolfman
Horror
Benicio Del Toro
Anthony Hopkins
Emily Blunt Universal 3,100+

I think Avatars theater count will down considerably

If Percy Jackson bombs, I'm sure Fox will try and put Avatar back up on some screens.

Who cares about Oscars

this movie is all about the Benjamins

2.5 billion and still climbing

this was number 2 on Sunday (projected)

It is still doing great- at per theater average, it seems to be losing about 100 screens a week, it is down to around 2500

there are films with over 3000 screens, that are not doing 1/2 the money

I still haven't seen this - my plans with my friend have been thwarted a few times. We're trying again next Saturday and actually have tickets in hand this time, so this might be a successful attempt.

Supposedly they're considering re-releasing it in theaters in late summer with a few extras and deleted scenes. I don't know why that wouldn't just be on the DVD-unless so few people have 3D ready tvs that they're just going to milk it for that.

I guess it could push it from 2.7 billion to 2.9 billion?

‘Avatar’: Release and Repeat

Compiled by RACHEL LEE HARRIS

“Avatar” may soon be booked for a second run at digital and Imax 3-D theaters this summer. According to The Hollywood Reporter, James Cameron is in discussions with Fox to work out a re-release of the film, possibly with additional scenes that were cut from the original. In New York on Thursday, Imax’s chief executive, Richard L. Gelfond, said that Mr. Cameron had about 40 minutes of extra material. Only about 10 minutes of film could be added, though, to keep under the 170-minute maximum length a movie can be released in analog Imax theaters. But that is just the amount Mr. Cameron has said he could easily push through postproduction for a director’s cut or for the DVD release, including a scene in which Jake Sully further proves himself to the Na’vi people, and another surrounding a native festival. “Avatar” was taken out of 3-D theaters to make way for the opening of Disney’s “Alice in Wonderland.” At a demonstration of 3-D TV in New York last week, Mr. Cameron told USA Today,

“The word we’re getting back from exhibitors is we probably left a couple hundred million dollars on the table as a result.”

Well the movie is released today in Blu Ray and DVD, Target has the combo for $19.99, sadly no Digital Copy will be available with this release.
I guess the Special Edition due for November will include it?

If you are a BluRay collector

I would wait until November, those discs (two) will be loaded with a lot of extras

also, I read yesterday that Cameron will be re-releasing it in theaters in a couple of months with added scenes, I don't know how many screens he will get this time, and how much more that will push his 'all time' numbers, interesting.

Back
Top Bottom