Old 12-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #272
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:52 AM
Oh, Entourage...

Old 12-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #273
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:52 PM
Oh, boy. What a ride, what an achievement. Far surpassed my expectations. I can't imagine why anyone would sit there and try to pick apart the dialogue, the characters, whatever. The story is simple, but it is not childish. The characters aren't necessarily deep or shaded, but Jake Sully is, and that's all that matters because this is his journey. I can live with these shortcomings when so much attention has been paid to the exploration of an alien culture, the most comprehensive I've ever seen. There is certainly a lot of grey area between a great screenplay and a poor one, and this one doesn't deserve to be thrown in with the latter.

Jake's maturation, not only within the tribe but in his interactions with the natural world, is done with a sense of wonder, humility, and grace, so to call the endeavor unsophisticated is ridiculous. With the early exception of the scene where Jake gets all gangsta talk with the animals (something that is far worse and out-of-place in its respective film than anything Lucas has ever committed to screen), I didn't have any problem with the dialogue. Sure, Ribisi was a bit cartoony, but who cares?

As far as the effects are concerned, never before have movements and expressions been captured this authentically. Or spend such time creating a full environment and ecosystem. After all these years, someone finally made it feel real, and then used it to create something very moving at times. What more can you say?

One thing about the franchise discussion, I don't really see what they can do, either. With Star Wars, the good and bad guys had an intricate history and mythology. I don't think another invasion of faceless Earth invaders could really work at all. As I said, this story was about Jake's journey, and considering what he achieves, it's really over. No one else's could be this interesting.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #274
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:52 AM
Wow, Laz. Kind of stunned. Glad you liked it. As I said before, this really feels like the first real complete product of the digital era. All the tools used to their perfection to create a world and cinematic experience that couldn't be accomplished otherwise.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #275
Blue Crack Supplier

I will say this, though: comparisons to the SW prequels are a bit unfair, as Lucas was melding new technologies with a story he had already set into motion. His project wasn't meant to be so much a groundbreaking experience as a more expansive addendum of a dense plot with many more characters. He also didn't have the leisure to fully explore any single planet, because the story covered events happening across a whole galaxy. I do believe that credit should be given to ILM for creating all those worlds, however briefly they are viewed, because they really did spend time forming geography, flora, and fauna as WETA did here. And I do believe that ILM's creature work was superior to what we saw in LOTR. Of course WETA has set a new bar here that must be celebrated.

Interesting that I saw ILM and John Knoll's name in the credits for Avatar; I wonder what part they worked on.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #276
Blue Crack Addict

I asked a friend who works at WETA which parts ILM worked on. He wasn't allowed to say specifically. But he did say they worked on three sequences in the film.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:25 AM   #277
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:52 AM
Saw it. Liked it. The final 30 minutes were spectacular. I cringed a number of times, though, mostly involving something that Worthington did/said. His line delivery was really off in a few places, for me. Most notably in the scene when he first confronts the beast in the jungle and is shouting at him. Ouch, that was bad. I also didn't much care for Sigourney Weaver's human character or her avatar. Something about the way her avatar looked really pissed me off.

The more I think about the movie, though, the more I like it. I think it will only improve on repeated viewings, and I do want to see it again in the theater.

Michelle Rodriguez in that tight, white cleavage-bearing tee shirt when she comes to help the good guys escape their holding cell = HAWT.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:27 AM   #278
Blue Crack Supplier

I think she's out of your league.

And by "league" I mean the heterosexual league.

Not that you have any chance with those celebrities either.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:41 AM   #279
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
I also didn't much care for Sigourney Weaver's human character or her avatar. Something about the way her avatar looked really pissed me off.
Her nose was more human than the other avatars. Not sure why. Is it weird that I thought her avatar was cute? Not as hot as Neytiri though. Cant wait for the homemade internet dirty pictures to start showing up
Old 12-21-2009, 01:01 AM   #280
Blue Crack Addict

Weaver's avatar was the first time the film really blew me away. Then it continued to do so in increasing measures of course. But yeah, I thought she was great in both forms.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:08 AM   #281
ONE
love, blood, life

One thing I didnt understand: Why did we see photographs in 3 dimensions?
Old 12-21-2009, 01:11 AM   #282
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
One thing I didnt understand: Why did we see photographs in 3 dimensions?
They were intended to be 3-dimension photographs, not unlike the "3D" posters used for the film in theaters. Cameron said he envisions a future where all visual displays, be they computers, television, cell phones, or snapshots are stereoscopic.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:22 AM   #283
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
They were intended to be 3-dimension photographs, not unlike the "3D" posters used for the film in theaters. Cameron said he envisions a future where all visual displays, be they computers, television, cell phones, or snapshots are stereoscopic.
oh, okay. having not heard him say that, it threw me off a bit. Makes sense though. I figured that might be the case. I thought the computer screens were particularly cool. I could totally see them being that way in the not too distant future. The way they swiped info from the desktop screen to a hand held one would be very intuitive. I hope Steve Jobs was watching
Old 12-21-2009, 01:23 AM   #284
Blue Crack Addict

You just reminded me of that funny moment where Selfridge is trying to point out something on the virtual map (might have been the tree of souls) and he's fumbling with the 3D interface, and just tells one of the military stooges to bring it up for him. A nice little touch.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:26 AM   #285
ONE
love, blood, life

haha yes, I appreciated that too

Tags