James Cameron's "Avatar" - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #241
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:46 PM
Yeah, same at my screening. I have to say, while I was really loving it for the first 2 hours, that final act... oh my god.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:22 PM   #242
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:46 PM
It really was pretty insane. Like they took the concept from Reign of Fire and actually made it awesome. The smoke trails from the missiles looked really cool in 3D. For some reason, I didnt think I'd like the creature design. I was wrong. There was a subtlety in the design of them that made them very real. They also kept a consistency with the different species that I liked. As if they all evolved from an ancient common ancestor. gah! I wanna go see it again

Old 12-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #243
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I wanna go see it again
Really, the most I can say at this point. Mainly for the inadequate viewing experience I had the first time around, but also just to solidify what I actually watched in my own memory and address a number of things I've only just now started to pull from the film and speculate.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:35 PM   #244
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:46 AM
Paul Reiser must be pissed they didn't ask him to reprise his character from Aliens. Giovanni Ribisi did a good job though.

All joking aside, the photo-realism was incredible, but it was the bio-luminescence that really took me.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #245
Blue Crack Addict

I never thought I'd say this, but I kind of fell in love with Michelle Rodriguez because of this film.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #246
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:46 AM
I thought Ribisi was supposed to be the major weak link in the film? At least from what I've read.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #247
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
I never thought I'd say this, but I kind of fell in love with Michelle Rodriguez because of this film.
Me too! I usually cant stand that bitch
Old 12-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #248
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I thought Ribisi was supposed to be the major weak link in the film? At least from what I've read.
He doesn't really have a strong enough presence to be a weak link, but he's hardly compelling. Gets the job done. The guy who plays Norm though is outright awful. I kind of wanted him to get eaten by a Thanator or something.

Weaver is her usual wonderful self. Worthington makes a good show, and as I said, Rodriguez makes a lot out of a role that essentially consists of like a dozen lines or so. I love her. But Stephen Lang absolutely runs away with the supporting roles. He's so fucking fantastic. Especially in the final sequences.

Saldana as Neytiri is just out of this world though. Clearly the anchor of the film, conceptually and theatrically. A bizarre role, with a bizarre, stunning performance.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:48 PM   #249
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
He's the most one-note character of the bunch, but serves his purpose fine: the smarmy corporate lackey who supervises everything. His line readings aren't as cringe-worthy as some of Sigourney Weaver's earlier ones, particularly in the exchanges back-and-forth, but she was awesome after that.

I pretty much agree with Lance, although Norm didn't bother me that much.

Does this mean Zoe Saldana's now the coolest chick in Sci-Fi right now, with this and her badass Uhura this year?
Old 12-19-2009, 11:52 PM   #250
ONE
love, blood, life

The only line I really cringed at was

"...some sort of shock and awe campaign"
Old 12-19-2009, 11:54 PM   #251
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Does this mean Zoe Saldana's now the coolest chick in Sci-Fi right now, with this and her badass Uhura this year?
Without a doubt.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:56 PM   #252
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The only line I really cringed at was

"...some sort of shock and awe campaign"
My friend told me the dialogue that Jake shouts at the dinousaur thing was ridiculous, calling him a "punk-ass bitch," but I had no problem with it. The only character who consistently pissed me off was that one marine in the mech-suit who got stomped by one of those dinosaur things in the final, epic battle. Anything he did was stupid.

I was thinking back to an interview Cameron gave about his reaction to Star Wars, about how it inspired him to quit being a truck-driver and get into filmmaking, and it's amazing to see him get to make his Star Wars, you know? A solid and archetypal story with some engaging characters and a completely immersive experience. I can't measure how it must've been in '77, but to me, this felt like the closest I'd get to that level of excitement in '09, you know?
Old 12-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #253
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
My friend told me the dialogue that Jake shouts at the dinousaur thing was ridiculous, calling him a "punk-ass bitch," but I had no problem with it.
Me either. I thought it fit his character perfectly well

Quote:

I was thinking back to an interview Cameron gave about his reaction to Star Wars, about how it inspired him to quit being a truck-driver and get into filmmaking, and it's amazing to see him get to make his Star Wars, you know? A solid and archetypal story with some engaging characters and a completely immersive experience. I can't measure how it must've been in '77, but to me, this felt like the closest I'd get to that level of excitement in '09, you know?
Totally. Its certainly something really special. Apart from the fact that it will be seen as the film that finally cracked the photoreal cg nut, it was a fun and exciting story. Cant wait for the next one
Old 12-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #254
Blue Crack Addict

I don't really want to get into specific story/structure issues until I see it again, but I will say some of the dialogue was very Lucas-esque (though thankfully never "awful" like Episode 1 and 2" but rarely bothered me. It's a story we've seen countless times before, and Cameron doesn't really do anything to shake things up intellectually, at least not explicitly in the narrative. But the story and characters are all really effective in the broad strokes, which is always how Cameron has worked, the fuel for the pure cinema spectacle of the rest of the film. You watch action sequences and what should be otherwise un-stimulating moments with just random small actions or character moments and you feel these huge movements and emotions because of those broad strokes. It's how he's always worked. The film is a rather brilliant excursion in pure cinema, also much like Lucas in that regard.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:10 AM   #255
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Me either. I thought it fit his character perfectly well

Totally. Its certainly something really special. Apart from the fact that it will be seen as the film that finally cracked the photoreal cg nut, it was a fun and exciting story. Cant wait for the next one
This really feels like the first legitimate film of the digital effects era in a way. All the tools have finally come together, in nearly perfect execution to create the kind of cinematic experience that's entirely motivated by, creatively reliant on, and entirely fulfills the promise of computerized filmmaking. As much as it can be goofy and awkward and arguably superficial at moments, there's never been anything like this, and it does feel like the first true start of something.

Tags