James Cameron's "Avatar"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I saw that page, and I was thinking that $75 million number at the bottom of the Rentals list was the most likely. Unless that's the total of everything listed above it. Not sure.

The $191 million number at the bottom of the Gross list is likely the cumulative amount of all the releases up until 1998.

Also, $1 million in a weekend is pretty damned good in 1939 dollars, I imagine. And there probably wasn't the quick drop-off like there is today; it could have been in theatres for a year, easy.

Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues - CNN.com

:lmao: This made me laugh:

"I wasn't depressed myself. In fact the movie made me happy ," Baghdassarian said. "But I can understand why it made people depressed. The movie was so beautiful and it showed something we don't have here on Earth. I think people saw we could be living in a completely different world and that caused them to be depressed."

"That's all I have been doing as of late, searching the Internet for more info about 'Avatar.' I guess that helps. It's so hard I can't force myself to think that it's just a movie, and to get over it, that living like the Na'vi will never happen. I think I need a rebound movie,"

"Ever since I went to see 'Avatar' I have been depressed. Watching the wonderful world of Pandora and all the Na'vi made me want to be one of them. I can't stop thinking about all the things that happened in the film and all of the tears and shivers I got from it," Mike posted. "I even contemplate suicide thinking that if I do it I will be rebirthed in a world similar to Pandora and the everything is the same as in 'Avatar.' "

"When I woke up this morning after watching Avatar for the first time yesterday, the world seemed ... gray. It was like my whole life, everything I've done and worked for, lost its meaning," Hill wrote on the forum. "It just seems so ... meaningless. I still don't really see any reason to keep ... doing things at all. I live in a dying world."

"After discussing on the forums for a while now, my depression is beginning to fade away. Having taken a part in many discussions concerning all this has really, really helped me," Hill said. "Before, I had lost the reason to keep on living -- but now it feels like these feelings are gradually being replaced with others."

It's only a movie. :doh:

The Boston Globe had an article the other day talking about people who take escapism way too far and wish these things were real, and mentioned Alec Guinness being afraid for over-the-top Star Wars fans like that. People need to get outside and not stigmatize movies for the rest of us.

I knew one person, many moons ago and through my mother (I was like four, at the time, and it was just a few years after Jedi), who believed in Star Wars. Like, 100 percent. My mother was studying her, as I recall, for some abnormal psychology coursework. Unreal. I thought it was amazing, at the time (again, I was four). Chick had made lightsabres, and shit, which she was convinced worked. She had Star Wars CARPETING. I thought that shit was incredibly cool. It only became disturbing in hindsight, as the years went on.

The Boston Globe had an article the other day talking about people who take escapism way too far and wish these things were real, and mentioned Alec Guinness being afraid for over-the-top Star Wars fans like that. People need to get outside and not stigmatize movies for the rest of us.

It's hard for me to understand since I've seen so many movies and know somewhat how they are made I don't get pulled in that far. I think those people who think this world is grey and boring need to learn more about this world (AKA education) before they make grandiose statements like that. Planet Earth is VERY interesting.

It's hard for me to understand since I've seen so many movies and know somewhat how they are made I don't get pulled in that far. I think those people who think this world is grey and boring need to learn more about this world (AKA education) before they make grandiose statements like that. Planet Earth is VERY interesting.

Amen to that.

HIS NAME lS OBI-WAN KENOBI (though his friends call him BEN).

HIS NAME lS OBI-WAN KENOBI (though his friends call him BEN).

I can just see the kid in your avatar yelling that... except he's wrong, only people that were around when he was a hermit, but didn't really know him, would call him Ben.

YouTube - !!AVATAR IS SO GREAT PEOPLE ARE BECOMING DEPRESSED AFTER IT'S OVER'!!
We’ve all seen a depressing movie and come out of the theater shaken up — Requiem For A Dream, Schindler’s List, Indiana Jones 4 — but people getting depressed because the planet they live on isn’t as nice as the planet in Avatar? I didn’t see that coming. Although granted, it would be pretty sweet to live in a world where everything was in 3-D.

I'm finally going to see this at the Seattle IMAX at the end of the month - a friend of mine can get cheap tickets through work. Huzzah!

We’ve all seen a depressing movie and come out of the theater shaken up — Requiem For A Dream, Schindler’s List, Indiana Jones 4 — but people getting depressed because the planet they live on isn’t as nice as the planet in Avatar? I didn’t see that coming. Although granted, it would be pretty sweet to live in a world where everything was in 3-D.

Umm? We do live in a world where everything is 3D...

Umm? We do live in a world where everything is 3D...

dejectedarrcolor.jpg

Back
Top Bottom