James Cameron's "Avatar"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JmRmb.jpg

You know what Avatar is missing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkV-of_eN2w

IDK bout you guys, but I'd like to see Sam Worthington just bust out into song.

Yeah, it's overall grosses, but did you hear people bitching about TDK because of the IMAX uptake? Maybe, only not as much here.

I'm just happy that Transformers 2 won't be the highest grosser of '09.

They'd still consider films like Avatar and Sherlock Holmes to be 2009 grosses even if it carries into the following year. Look at Gran Torino and Slumdog's placements on the '08 lists.

Avatar will have a really high gross,
I think something like 45% of sales are IMAX and 3D with ticket prices between 14- 17 bucks.

That's not universally true, my IMAX is $11.50... somehow it hasn't gone up in 6 years.

Also, TF2 made more domestically but Half-Blood Prince was the real previous winner of 2009, worldwide, that franchise is insanely consistent, although the last 2 will probably make even more each.

Also, if you want to argue how impressive it is next to previous totals that's one thing, but it still collected that much in under 3 weeks with no built-in audience, it's a word-of-mouth juggernaut, and sure the tickets cost more a lot of the time-- but people have been willing to pay the premium. Still impressive.

See the regular 35mm/digital multiplex across the street from the IMAX has rocketed up to like $10.50 or so for non-matinee shows, this IMAX just all-around rocks haha.

Um, I paid $15.50 for 3D in Toronto. IMAX 3D is a couple of bucks more...I think maybe $17?

I paid the same for 3d, I just meant that for a regular ol' movie, its usually around $12. I was implying that we are getting hooped for regular movies, as whoever it was I quoted (deep?) said that 3d was twice as much

I kind of wish it would just stand on it's own, but then at the end of the movie we saw how many more tribes there were, plus other moons, oh and we know American greed knows no-bounds.

I'd rather see him do Battle Angel first, since that was supposed to be out in 2007 haha.

If he doesn't make Battle Angel some time soon I'm going to... I'm gonna... well, not do anything, what the fuck can I do about it?

Never seen Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz? I've kind of grown to really adore the latter. And the former is always a blast. Edgar Wright is kind of a genius. I really need to watch Spaced at some point.

You should really read Scott Pilgrim though. I love it more than I care to articulate.

Never seen Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz? I've kind of grown to really adore the latter. And the former is always a blast. Edgar Wright is kind of a genius. I really need to watch Spaced at some point.

You should really read Scott Pilgrim though. I love it more than I care to articulate.

Spaced was awesome when it came out in 1999 and I still love watching it, particularly season 2, but the little bastard seemed to be let down by it. I'm chalking it down to an existing exposure to the aesthetic (that seriously needs to be upgraded come their third film together) and the influence already seen in other shows. Because there's no way he can not like it, you know? I'd have to kill him.

Yeah, well he isn't called You Little Bastard for no reason. I look forward to checking it out.

"You can act like a man!"

Lance: I don't know what to do, Dalton. A sequel is weak, it's weak. Anyway, if he did this other picture, it puts him right back on top, you know. But this... this director. He won't pull the trigger and ask the head of the studio.

Chief Dalton: Which director?

Lance: James Cameron. He said there's no chance, no chance...

[Meanwhile, Fagin finds Scumbo and summons him]

Lance: Years ago he bought the rights to this manga, a best seller. The main character is an effeminate cyborg, just like me. I wouldn't even have to act, just be myself. Oh, Dalton, I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do...

[All of a sudden, Chief Dalton rises from his chair and gives Lance a savage shake]

Chief Dalton: YOU CAN ACT LIKE A WARRIOR!

[gives a quick slap to Lance]

Chief Dalton: What's the matter with you? Is this what you've become, an internet geek who cries like a woman? "Oh, what do I do? What do I do?" What is that nonsense? Ridiculous!

[Dalton's unexpected mimicry makes Fagin and even Lance laugh; around this time Scumbo comes in]

Chief Dalton: Tell me, do you spend time with your father?

Lance: I don't know him.

Chief Dalton: Not good. Because a man who doesn't know his father can never be a real man.

[gives a quick look at Scumbo and affectionately embraces Lance]

Chief Dalton: You look terrible. I want you to eat peyote, I want you to go on vision quest. And a month from now this James Cameron big shot's gonna make the movie you want.

Lance: Too late. They start shooting in a week.

Chief Dalton: I'm gonna make him an barter he won't refuse. Okay? I want you to leave it all to Great Spirit. Go on, go back to the pow-wow.

[a gratified Lance leaves]

Back
Top Bottom