It's OK to cry, men

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvox

Ghost of Love
Name the TV show or movie that choked you up or got you all you misty eyed. It won't hurt your manhood to admit it ;)

Mine, and has been for a while, is Extreme Makeover Home Edition. And it went to a new level tonight. I've seen them do stuff on other shows for people that choked me up, but an entire community? Really amazing. :up:

In the Name of the Father, the part where they drop the burning papers from the prison windows after Guiseppe´s death. That one gets me going every time :sad:

My dad cried watching the ending of Empire of the Sun, when the kid finds his parents. Actually, I think it's the only time I've ever seen him cry.

I think it's cute when guys get choked up a little. Let it out, boys! :sexywink:

I agree with lazarus... the end of It's A Wonderful Life is very powerful.
Any 9/11-related movie (World Trade Center, United 93, Flight 93)
Titanic, or at least the ending of it

I can't think of any television shows, except for maybe the Grey's finale a couple nights ago.

I can't think of any television shows, except for maybe the Grey's finale a couple nights ago.

:uhoh: Men watch Grey's?

I don't cry at movies cause I'm not some emo whiney little bitch girl - but if I did, cause like, I entered Bizarro World or something - maybe Finding Neverland. Field of Dreams probably would have gotten to me too, when he asks his dad to have a catch.

I have enough just from TV, ER (especially Doctor Green's death, the Hawaii episode is the single most tear-welling piece of film I've ever seen), and Friday Night Lights tears me up for a new reason almost weekly, both sad and joyous, its able to do that because of how real and detailed they've made their characters, and how true-to-life the topics and circumstances they've tackled have been.

It's been awhile since a movie has made me all out cry, but I get misty with films that render true-to-life emotion in tasteful ways, I'm not usually moved that way by more dramatized and Hollywood-ized movies.

But yes, the end of IAWL, is an explosion of tears (of joy) for me every December.

Geez, do I have to pull out my Coach Hayden Fox quote again?

OK, here it is:
Coach Fox is confronted by his daughter's drama club boyfriend Stuart about Coach not liking him. During the ensuing conversation, Stuart begins to cry:

Coach: "O geez Stuart, don't cry"
Stuart: "Its OK for a man to cry"
Coach: "If you're foot's caught in a bear trap, maybe"

Actually when your foot is caught in a bear trap, it's not ok to cry. You need to be a man and you won't be able to open the trap and/or self-amputate through the blurry tears.

However...later on when you've escaped the bear trap and you're lounging on your couch with a half bottle of vodka and watching <insert touching moment here>, THEN it's ok to cry.

:wink:

when watching Family Guy, i cried when the Griffins took Brian back after Stewie killed his replacement. i was touched.

The last time that I know of Mr. Blu getting teary-eyed over a movie was at the end of Bridge to Terabithia. Truth be told, that one gut punched us both & we wept in unison.... :sad: :)

Let me be clear... when you say "cry", that's not something I do in response to TV or a movie. The stuff I mentioned MIGHT cause me to get slightly misty-eyed, and maybe, just maybe, a single tear. But as far as flat-out bawling, I don't do that...

Just so I don't get my manhood revoked.

I can safely say nothing in a television show or movie has made me tear up. I'm pretty steady emotionally.

I don't think I cried after I was 12 or so until I was in my late 20s either. I would have to say in retrospect that might not be as healthy as it sounds. If I had watched Extreme Home Makeover when I was 19 or so I think I would have scoffed. Getting a bit older and with 2 kids, one only a few short years away from university and the stress that brings a parent in terms of worrying if they'll 'make it' or if one will be able to afford to even send them...I think that kind of perspective puts a whole new level of meaning to seeing 4 motherless teens get full scholarships, a new library and a decent roof over their heads. It was a pretty remarkable episode, and I don't think the tears of the men on it were faked, they were pretty broken up but I guess in a joyful sense. The people that show helps are genuinely in need and it always makes me want to hug my family and feel grateful for whatever we do have, cause it's a hell of alot more than those people that's for sure! :up:

It doesn't make you a woman to be touched by something, whether in real life or being receptive to something in the arts... it makes you aware and willing to feel something.

you know how futurama used to sometimes have a really moving episode about fry's past, or something like that?

those can still tear me up.

also the second half of the last season of arrested development, but for different reasons.

Let me be clear... when you say "cry", that's not something I do in response to TV or a movie. The stuff I mentioned MIGHT cause me to get slightly misty-eyed, and maybe, just maybe, a single tear. But as far as flat-out bawling, I don't do that...

Just so I don't get my manhood revoked.

I think you should watch My Life and get that remedied.

Back
Top Bottom