Interference Movie Club - Round 6 - "The World"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
The World

Directed by Jia Zhang Ke, 2004

Suggested by Lance - Monday, August 30

Discussion begins Monday, September 6

netflix said:
Director Zhang Ke Jia's first big-budget feature revolves around the tumultuous love affair between two workers at a Chinese theme park -- Tao (Tao Zhao), a dancer who performs extravagant shows, and Taisheng (Taisheng Chen), a patrol officer who can't stay true to her. Through their story, the audience gets an inside look at the heartbreaking lives of the poor men and women who rely on this example of consumerism to eke out a living.

An Interview with Jia Zhang Ke - Senses of Cinema

Bringing the World to the Nation: Jia Zhang Ke and the Legitimation of Chinese Underground Film

bscap00070mz.jpg

bscap00032cp.jpg

bscap00026yj.jpg

bscap00043cf.jpg

bscap00056ud.jpg

bscap00064ou.jpg

Ashley - UP NEXT
Dalton
Shouter
Laz
GAF
Heathcliff
Impy
Cori
Tourist
Powerhour
Scumbo
LemonMelon
Gump
Beav
Jive Turkey
LMP
Lance

Available on netflix Instant Watch, so easy to access. I've put off watching this one in particular because I've been waiting to use it here for the movie club. Should be a good pick, I hope. Jia's really one of world cinema's finest contemporary filmmakers, and arguably the very best in mainland China. He has a few other films on Instant Watch as well, 24 City being the finest of those rest. Still Life is the best I've seen from him so far though, readily available through DVD. Masterpiece. I should get around to watching his latest film this week as well that premiered out of competition at Cannes this year I believe.

Interesting pick, and one which I'm surprised you haven't seen. Sadly, though, this was one of my biggest disappointments of the decade. But I haven't watched it in years, so I dunno. Not a bad filmmaker, obviously. This just wasn't my favorite movie. A sometimes very beautiful film without much of anything to say, I thought. Sort of like a Bergman circus movie for restrained, '00s, Chinese, not really underground cinema, or something.

Featuring a distant cameo by "Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Aaja," later reworked into a non-smash hit by everybody's favorite jackass, M.I.A.! Weird, wild stuff.

discodancer.jpg

Surprised myself I haven't seen it yet, especially considering I've seen most of his other work. But it came into my mind around the time we started this thing, so it felt like a good fit.

Well anyway, I hope you at least find revisiting it worthwhile, even if you still aren't fond of it. It should be good to have at least one informed dissenting opinion in the discussion.

Hell yeah. I hope you dig it. Mostly curious to hear what more casual viewers think, though. It's not exactly Taste of Cherry, or whatever, but it's hardly a classical narrative.

Should be interesting, provided anybody actually participates this round. Funny how hostile the response to something even like the Dardenne film was in the second round.

I'm all old school and junk! :wink:

It's dependent upon me actually watching one of the other discs I have at home so I can return it and get the new one. Although I would be willing to watch it online as alast resort if it comes to that, because I don't really feel like watching the ones I have on top of my TV!

Could always return one without watching it! I know I've done that when I've received something in the mail from them and realized I'm not really in the mood for it now anyway.

Every time I think about doing that, I can't bring myself to do it and will just let it sit until I'm ready to watch it.

...... I do realize I have issues.

Check that shit out, son.

I was having a conversation with a friend the other day about our lack of knowledge of Chinese cinema outside of John Woo and stuff with Chow-Yun Fat. Good timing!

Check that shit out, son.

I was having a conversation with a friend the other day about our lack of knowledge of Chinese cinema outside of John Woo and stuff with Chow-Yun Fat. Good timing!

Well, swell. Jia is a good place to start, at least for contemporary mainland stuff. I was thinking about going with some Hou Hsiao Hsien too, Taiwanese though. But the Jia was easier for people to access then most of the old Hou stuff that I haven't seen yet. What does that matter, why am I talking?

Looking forward to this. I had to miss the last two but I'll catch up.

I still have to watch our last selection, but since this is on Instant Watch I'll check it out.

I'll be posting something later today. Excited for the discussion around this one. :)

Turns out this film isn't quite what I expected, but not necessarily in a bad way. It falls much closer in line with Jia's first three films than I expected, in its rather more free-form and "underground" structure and aesthetic as well as its focus on a young couple and the episodes of their relationship(s) which carry far more underplayed comments on the social and political state of his contemporary homeland. At the same time The World feels very much like the key transitional film in his oeuvre, as it certainly hints towards things to come. Jia's later films being more formally precise and pointedly expressive in their aesthetic. His later work also takes on increasingly more overt social and political themes as well as a shift into hybrid fiction/documentary territory.

Resting somewhat uncomfortably in a sort of middle-ground, this film functions best as a lushly textured green and gold-hued mood piece, fore-grounding its subjects against landscapes chronically too vast to be captured in a single static frame. As such, the film makes a motif of one of Jia's signature moves, the long pan across a setting, either shifting a subject into or out of the picture, typically in profile. This is just one of many distancing techniques used in the film, comprised mostly of semi-static long takes, roaming hand-held work, and the aforementioned slow pans, almost ways in long or medium-long shot.

All that, the fairly muted acting and script, the many visual and narrative digressions, and the way characters move in and out of space can make it a difficult film to really get inside and an ephemeral episodic experience by design. However, I personally found around the exact half-way point of the film all the rhythms, the many themes and variations (to borrow an appropriately musical terminology) of the film began to fit into place, and it's secrets began to reveal themselves so to speak [which isn't to say the film meandered for its first half then pulled itself together so much as, like any set of patterns, they have to be given time before they make themselves apparent. I look forward to a rewatch which is sure to reveal quite a bit of intricacy and design from the very beginning.]

Then again, I quite like films of that conception, and the deliberate distancing mechanics and unconventional narrative sprawl can certainly turn one off. It's a rather studied approach the film takes to its subjects and many themes, but there are moments of great emotional depth through the form. It's a melancholy perspective on China's past mistakes and potentially devastating embrace of the future, at its core highlighting how insular the individual society has become, willing to erect substitutes to genuine cultural interaction (on the macro) and to sincere and fulfilling personal relationships (the micro). Jia has always been fascinated by the quickly changing personality and destiny of his country, and I find this film in particular to be a pretty articulate and even-headed examination of the mistakes his people seem to be making in promise of progress, the story of a country and a culture that is always unfolding but never quite manages to really get started.

Oh also, the film is just being released on Blu-ray, which is a huuuuuge improvement from the shoddy transfer available through netflix currently. You can tell just by looking at the screens here how much of the film's rigorous aesthetic beauty (filled with long shots and wide horizontal composition as it is) is betrayed by a tarnished low-resolution transfer.

930_the_world_blu-ray_1.jpg

930_the_world_blu-ray_4.jpg

930_the_world_blu-ray_2x.jpg

930_the_world_blu-ray_3x.jpg

930_the_world_blu-ray_5x.jpg

930_the_world_blu-ray_6x.jpg

The World Blu-ray Shijie Zhang Ke

edit: Sometimes the hotlinking seems to work and others not-so-much. Can always just follow the link though.

I liked the setting - that park was a cool place to base the movie and the characters. I wish there'd been more of the friendship between Tao and Anna.

It held my interest for the first half or so, and then it just started feeling really long.

I wish I'd liked it more.

I'm going to watch this either tonight or in the morning, but it sounds like it'll be something I'll like, so I'm pretty excited about that.

Lance, am I just supposed to say my pick?

I'm going to watch this either tonight or in the morning, but it sounds like it'll be something I'll like, so I'm pretty excited about that.

Lance, am I just supposed to say my pick?

You can just PM is to me if you'd like so the reveal can be more dramatic. :cute:

Ok, since my pick's fairly "mainstream" we've decided I should probably poll the audience. If I were to pick Brick, would the lot of you have already seen it?

Yeah, I figured, this was what made me nervous about joining the movie club. I just don't know a lot about any movies that are really all that obscure.

The next thing ON my list of movies to watch after Brick is...Trois couleurs: Rouge, but I have no idea if that has to be viewed with the other two movies or what. I'll get back to you all in a day or two.

Hah, for those doing this who haven't seen Rouge yet, it would be best for them to see the other two first anyway, so probably not the best pick. You're on the right track though! Maybe another lesser known Kieslowski film, like Bland Chance or Camera Buff or something?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom