Interference Movie Club - Round 6 - "The World"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blind Chance sounds....really really awesome. I'd like to go with that, yes.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled The World discussion. I started it, but was interrupted on too many occasions by things, so I'll give it another go in the morning, but it seemed excellent to me. Really excited to see the rest of it.

I have the same fears as you with all of this. I haven't yet seen Brick, but I see we've already established it'll be something else.

But I'm sure it'll be something I haven't seen. :wink:

It was just a suggestion. I think Rouge is a poor choice, and so why not another Kieslowski is that's what she's interested it. So just threw out some titles. She can pick whatever the hell she wants.

You could have included Veronique in those suggestions, which probably would have been a better entry point for some.

Have you seen either of the two you put out there?

I could easily have thrown something else from the list I have out there, but I appreciated the suggestion and liked the plot of the film. If you'd prefer, I can go ahead and throw out something else. I've got other options. But, hell. Maybe I'll pick Trip to the Moon. THAT could be interesting :p

You can throw out another pick if it will make Laz less pissy.

You could have included Veronique in those suggestions, which probably would have been a better entry point for some.

Have you seen either of the two you put out there?

I could have and it might be, but again I figured more of us that have actually been participating in this have probably seen that one. But there's another option too if she wants. I haven't seen the two I suggested though, and I doubt a majority of us have. Which is the whole point of suggesting them.

It doesn't matter to me. I just wanted to make sure she didn't have alternates and felt pressured by your suggestions.

I haven't seen any of those early Kieslowski in ages, I think I remember liking No End the best but I honestly can't remember.

I don't think she feels pressured at all, so yeah, since she was thinking of going with Kieslowski anyway, could be a good choice. I'd be curious to here another of her own picks though.

My other pick would be Wild Strawberries, but if everyone's seen that, I'll stick with Blind Chance.

Though I was half serious about that Trip to the Moon selection ;).

I've actually seen precious little Bergman, so that would work for me. I'm sure Laz and Shouter have both seen that one, but they've both probably seen Blind Chance too, so whichever you'd like.

Wild Strawberries is a classic, and less an essay about how to hate women with all of your soul than many later Bergman films. Good stuff!

I have seen all but, like, five Bergman films. I am a lesser person for this, but that doesn't at all tarnish his masterpieces, of which there are many. I'll no doubt go to my grave passionately arguing for Winter Light as one of the best films ever made.

Still not feeling The World, btw. I hate to be a broken record, but Kiarostami is the way to go, if you're looking for post-Tarkovsky stuff which has somehow made it through an oppressive government censorship machine.

Oh, and I still haven't gotten around to Blind Chance. Strange. Actually, I haven't watched any Kieslowski in almost five years, at this point. I ran through Dekalog twice in a year, in 2006, and haven't been able to muster up the courage for more. Perfect, yes...but soul-sucking.

I like the Wild Strawberries pick. And hey, it's MUCH shorter than Fanny and Alexander.

Fanny vs. Alexander is one of the most unintentionally hilarious films I have ever personally seen. All 17 hours of it, or whatever.

I never made the thread. Practially nobody is participating in this anymore but I could still put one up for Monday if we'd like.

Back
Top Bottom