Interference Movie Club - Round 5- "They All Laughed"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
They All Laughed

Directed by The BOG!, 1981

Suggested by LMP - Monday, August 16

Discussion begins Monday, August 23

netflix said:
Enlisted to track down two women suspected of infidelity, the private eye team of John (Ben Gazzara) and Charles (John Ritter) from New York's Odyssey Detective Agency can't seem to separate business from pleasure. As John trails the elegant Angela Niotes (Audrey Hepburn) and Charles follows Dolores Martin (Dorothy Stratten), the detectives discover they're definitely in trouble -- and in love. Peter Bogdanovich directs this quirky comic caper.

"They All Laughed" Review - Vincent Canby, 1981

title20THEY_ALL_LAUGHED-01.jpg

a20they20all20laughed20bogdanovich20THEY_ALL_LAUGHED-11.jpg

a20they20all20laughed20bogdanovich20THEY_ALL_LAUGHED-21.jpg

a20they20all20laughed20bogdanovich20THEY_ALL_LAUGHED-10.jpg

a20they20all20laughed20bogdanovich20THEY_ALL_LAUGHED-8.jpg

Lance - UP NEXT
Ashley
Dalton
Shouter
Laz
GAF
Heathcliff
Impy
Cori
Tourist
Powerhour
Scumbo
LemonMelon
Gump
Beav
Jive Turkey
LMP

psychological

.....but I suppose I subjected everyone to Bronson, so it's only fair

Ha ha ha!

I was going to make everybody watch La Hora de los Hornos and then try to badger you all to contribute to a possibly violent discussion, but I guess that torrent-only stuff--even if this sort of discussion group is EXACTLY how the film is supposed to be consumed--is a no-go. Maybe I can still sneak it in (as I haven't asked about the film itself; this is no knock at all on Lance), but I'm sure I could easily come up with some other full-on classic which can only be either fully loved or wildly hated.

Gonna be real sad if Laz doesn't choose some Jodorowsky, Anger, or Warhol classic...

Do you think that, due to the response to your selection, it's kind of incumbent upon you to watch this?

We can't all just get in a water taxi and ride away from our problems.

ETA - damnit, you edited your post and now I look...well, who cares, screw you anyway.

The water taxi ride was glorious

And for what its worth, I thought you would all at least enjoy the performance by Tom Hardy

Freakiest picture ever...

Back on topic, sounds good, I'm requesting it from the library and/or NF this week.

I must admit I was not a fan of The Last Picture Show and based on these comments and John Ritter...I'm scared.

The only reason I haven't said anything about this yet is because the DVD is only just coming in from netflix tomorrow. As for the rest of you, there's really no excuse. :shifty:

Boy, that Patti Hansen sure was pretty. Didn't she used to be married to Keith Richards or something? And all I know of Dorothy Stratten is that she was murdered and that Star 80 movie was about her.

I honestly don't know what I thought of the movie. Obviously, it just screamed 80s, but in a kind of charming way.

And Audrey Hepburn always classes up the joint.

But the dialogue was just too much, and I kept thinking "Shut up, nobody talks like that." Maybe they did in the early 80s in NYC. I wouldn't know - I was, like, 7 and living in Wisconsin. We sure didn't talk like that. But then again, I didn't have many conversations about love and being a detective and junk.

The dialogue was so incredibly heightened and only sometimes-stylized it was really off-putting for the first half hour or so. And the style of the film itself never really contextualized that, so it all seemed like a bizarre sort of mash-up of ideas... and John Ritter doing lazy slap-stick. I'm still trying to decide where the whole detective story angle really figures in, the heightened dialogue being rooted in that obviously, aside from merely a set-up for some screwball romantic comedy situations. Since like I said, the mash-up of genres never really takes off in any meaningful direction, and aesthetic of the film is mainly realistic, so all the pieces seem to just flounder around with little framework.

That said, I did manage to get into the swing of things by a certain part, the the movie does have its charms, including a few really effective sight gags. Also, major credits to DP Robby Muller, who I was surprised and extremely delighted to see pop up in the opening credits. God, what a talent. The way his camera captures NYC here is just blissful.

Mueller = best living cinematographer? And by that I of course mean favorite. Obviously a front-runner, in any event, but I wonder how he figures in for people around these parts. I'd say he's not. But that doesn't mean I don't love him.

Back
Top Bottom