Interference Movie Club - Round 5- "They All Laughed" - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2010, 02:21 AM   #46
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:28 PM
Then I'm glad that I'm wrong, that sounds awesome. I'm gonna work my way through his filmography chronologically.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:24 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:28 PM
Sounds like a plan. Just know the beginning films do tend to be the more minimalist ones for a while (until Limits I guess, heh). Lots of long takes and static compositions. Great shit though, but yeah. things get more lively as you go though.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:29 AM   #48
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Solid. Speaking of long takes, my roommate rented Wreckmeister Harmonies and is very set on watching that soon. That'll be fun.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:36 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:28 PM
Hah! I almost switched gears for my movie club pick and went with Tarr's The Man From London, since it popped up on instant. Then remembered I really don't like Tarr at all, so I tried to rewatch Werckmeister the other day. Couldn't get past the 15 minutes mark. The man makes films I admire on particular merits, and I like impressive long takes, roaming cameras and high-contrast black and white as much as the next guy... but his art just really rubs me the wrong way for some reason.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:43 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Amazing film, Werckmeister Harmonies.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:57 PM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:28 PM
Sorry I'm late to the game, but I just watched They All Laughed last night. It's a big sloppy but hard to deny its charms and how refreshing it is considering the time period. Unlike other films of its kind, the disparate couplings don't always mesh, but there are certainly some great scenes.

Dororthy Stratten is a complete blank, and as terrible as the tragedy of her death was, I don't have a lot of respect for THE BOG! going all ga-ga over her and treating her like a muse. At least when he was boning Cybil Shepherd and put her in a period piece he was dealing with someone who actually had acting talent. Ritter is a gifted physical comedian and a likable presence but he can only do so much with what he's given to do.

On the other hand, I absolutely loved Patti Hansen as Sam the cab driver. Perhaps THE BOG! fell in love with the wrong model, because shortly after this film Hansen married Keith Richards and I'm pretty sure they're still together. She has an effortless charm and spunk that had me liking this film from the beginning. Great chemistry with Ben Gazzara, who's likely the all-star of this thing. Guy is one cool customer, and he also works very well with Hepburn. I was expecting much more from the latter but she was certainly good. I also liked Colleen Camp a lot, need to see more of her. And of course the Howard Stern guy provided some good moments, and he should be acknowledged for co-writing the screenplay and producing.

The photography stood out for a type of film that usually doesn't impress in this department.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:04 PM   #52
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:28 PM
I haven't had a chance to watch the movie yet, so I've come to comment on one thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Also, seeing Bogdanovich's ascot in the same frame as Anderson's jacket is almost too pretentious for me to handle.
I almost choked laughing when I saw that still shot.