Interference Movie Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

No spoken words

Blue Crack Supplier
All,

As has been discussed in the movie threads, the time has come to start an interference movie club.

The idea is basic: Get some people, pick a film, watch it, discuss it. However, we do need some parameters, which I'll lay out below. Any and all of these are of course up for discussion...but let's not get too caught up in debating these to the point where we're still discussing them a week from now.

1) After seeing who is officially participating, I'll pick names from a hat, and that will be the order of who suggests a film.

2) If you participate in the club, you must recommend a film when your time comes.

3) Let's try and choose films that not everyone has seen. That's a tough task, obviously, but we can at least aim for that. I think we'll have about 15 people participating, so, let's just roll with if 1/2 of the participants have seen a film, the person who chose it selects an alternate film. If we have an odd number, say 15 people, we'll go with 8 people being a disqualifier....17 people would mean 8 people is the disqualifier, etc. Sound good?

As for what to pick....that's your call. Maybe choose something you've seen and loved but have found few others that have also seen it. Maybe pick something you've been dying to see but never got around to. Maybe choose a film strictly because it's polarizing and it will engender discussion, etc....

4) If a film is selected that a handful have seen....unless you've seen it recently, I urge you to re-watch it. That's your call, obviously, but in order to discuss it, it should be fresh in your head I think.

5) Let's keep things cordial and civil. I don't have to tell you that there are some participating whose knowledge of the mechanics, history and art filmmaking eclipse everyone else's.....I still expect those people to treat those of us with lesser knowledge with respect, and I expect those of us with lesser knowledge to not be shy or reticent to share an opinion just because we're not as learned.....nor should we accuse anyone of snobbery and the like. I just don't want to see this ever devolve and get personal.

I also think that myself and the usual suspects need to keep this as a movie club thread only and not turn it into an in-joke fest and whatnot. If any of that sounds insulting, I apologize, but it needs to be said, methinks, and some of it is clearly directed at me.

I hope that covers everything.

As for time tables, here is what I am thinking:

We do things in 3 week cycles, so, we're not doing two films a month, but we're not relegated to just one either.

Week 1 - The person whose turn it is names their film. This gives everyone 6 days to acquire the film via netflix or however you go about getting it. I think this should be sufficient time. Laz, you mentioned everyone choosing their films early so we can get started on acquiring them all but I'd rather do it this way, so people can perhaps be influenced by prior choices or maybe something they just learned about prior to their turn coming up. 7 days works if everyone acts immediately.

Week 2 - Watch the film (this still gives you time to acquire it as well).

Week 3 - Discuss.

Now, if one week seems like too little time to discuss the film, please let me know. This can clearly be amended....but, I will say that I'd like to keep this in 3-week cycles if possible....unless there is a large outcry for one or two a month.

If debate ensues about any of the above, and a consensus forms....I'l change things and re-post the parameters. But if I just see circular arguments with no clear majority vote for a change, I'm going to keep things moving.

That's about it. Remember, I want to start on Wednesday, so, if you are interested in participating please let me know by then. I don't want this to drag on for days and days before we begin.

I really hope that this does work, and that all participants stay committed to it, barring unforeseen obstacles, etc. This could really prove to be interesting, entertaining and educational for us all.....and I hope we wind up with a good cross-section of people and perspectives.

Thanks!

I'll read through it more thoroughly later, but upon first browse-through, that makes sense and sounds like a good plan.

Laz, you mentioned everyone choosing their films early so we can get started on acquiring them all but I'd rather do it this way, so people can perhaps be influenced by prior choices or maybe something they just learned about prior to their turn coming up. 7 days works if everyone acts immediately.

I think you're right about people being able to react to stuff and having that affect what they're interested in watching/discussing next.

However, three weeks does seem like an awfully long time, especially when the actual discussion may peter out after a couple days.

I don't think two a month would be that hard to stick too. Of course, I don't use Netflix or whatever so I don't have much familiarity with that whole process.

I think you're right about people being able to react to stuff and having that affect what they're interested in watching/discussing next.

However, three weeks does seem like an awfully long time, especially when the actual discussion may peter out after a couple days.

I don't think two a month would be that hard to stick too. Of course, I don't use Netflix or whatever so I don't have much familiarity with that whole process.

If the discussion peters out, I can simply jump in and ask for the next choice, etc.

Why do you get to control that hat?

I think its only fair to FedEx the hat to the next person in line. Also, if anyone who is in possession of the hat is seen wearing it in any facebook photos, they are automatically removed from the club.

I'd like to think we could manage 2-week cycles for the viewings and everything so as to squeeze in two films a month, but maybe we could just give it a loose run a couple times and see what time-table is most comfortable for everyone?

Seems like pretty good parameters

3 weeks make more sense than 2 weeks

if the project gets completed early, there are plenty of other threads to post in, such as
Review film just viewed, etc.

How many people have a cable subscriptions?
There are good films on TCM, IFC and Sundance, all of those channels have sites where you can look ahead a month. Perhaps half? of the participants could view the film there?

Lastly, this will only work if one approaches this with a spirit of cooperation.
And a desire to see it succeed. Why not re-watch something you have seen awhile back. You may find many things you missed the first time.

I'm happy with either 2 or 3 weeks - I guess 1 week will be sufficient to acquire the film and watch it.

How about accessibility of the movies - should we go by a general rule that films have to be available through rental services (Netflix) or some other easily accessible form?

I'm happy with either 2 or 3 weeks - I guess 1 week will be sufficient to acquire the film and watch it.

How about accessibility of the movies - should we go by a general rule that films have to be available through rental services (Netflix) or some other publicly available means?

Yeah, I think that's a given but I'm glad you mentioned it.

NSW, I'll probably use PMs to ask you about titles I choose to gauge their availability.

Or can non-Netflix account holders browse their library?

I'm pretty sure anyone can browse the titles available on netflix. And if someone doesn't have netflix and can't acquire something otherwise I'd be happy to help anyone out via, err, less than legitimate means if they so desire.

man-looking-down.jpg

I'm pretty sure anyone can browse the titles available on netflix. And if someone doesn't have netflix and can't acquire something otherwise I'd be happy to help anyone out via, err, less than legitimate means if they so desire.
internet-police.jpg

You're so busted.

Can it be both?

No, I am not recommending that. I've narrowed it down to a few choices though.

Back
Top Bottom