Interference Movie Awards--NOMINATIONS OPEN!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazarus

Blue Crack Supplier
(Mods, please STICKY this)

It's that time of year again.

We're going to have a fairly long nomination process, with the final ballot done in polls the week before the Academy Awards telecast on Feb 22. So there's enough time to catch up on what you may have missed.

Please PM me with your Top 5 choices in each of the following categories:

BEST PICTURE
BEST DIRECTOR
BEST LEAD ACTOR
BEST LEAD ACTRESS
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
BEST FOREIGN (NON-ENGLISH) FILM

* Your choices will be weighed in reverse numerical order, so five points for your #1 choice, four points for #2, etc. In the event that you don't have enough in any categories, the point allotment will be diminished (e.g. If you only have four actors listed, your #1 will only get four points). The Top 5 point-getters in each category will be on the final ballot, with a point tie broken by number of total mentions.

* Here is a link to official 2008 releases to refresh your memory:

Category:2008 films - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* And the earlier thread that has some For Your Consideration suggestions and discussion about the poll:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f293/interference-movie-awards-2008-a-192640.html

Yeah, it's anything goes. I know some people in other countries get stuff early or later than the U.S., so whatever floats your boat, and feel free to use that Wiki page for reference.

Just keep in mind that if you go too obscure or unpopular, your choice may not get enough votes to make the final ballot.

I'm waiting to see Waltz With Bashir this weekend. After that I'll write-up my ballot.

I think you'd have been better off either using the actual Oscar noms or just coming up with some yourselves because let's get real - how many people here are going to come up with 5 foreign films to nominate? First of all, most people aren't huge movie buffs, and second, a lot of people don't live in places where indie theatres are easily accessible.

:shrug:

It's been done for the last couple of years, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, we didn't have an overwhelming response last year but this is rather sad.

Maybe we need to post something in the movie review and movie talk threads?

Did I make it too complicated? I was trying to SIMPLIFY things.

I was going to wait to see another film or two, but I doubt it will matter too much. At least for just the nominations ballots. I'll write mine up today.

Laz, if you don't get enough submissions in a few days, you want to just do personal ballots and round-ups right here and discuss?

I think we need to spread the word more. Maybe my explanation of the point system made it seem too complicated.

A simple post in the other threads asking people to just rank the categories may help.

We could also start PMing specific people asking them to contribute, and to forward that request to one other person to participate.

I think we need to spread the word more. Maybe my explanation of the point system made it seem too complicated.

A simple post in the other threads asking people to just rank the categories may help.

We could also start PMing specific people asking them to contribute, and to forward that request to one other person to participate.

Sounds good to me, I'll put a word in my sig.

I sent in my ballot. I didn't submit noms for Adapted Screenplay or Foreign Language though, as those two are giving me some trouble. I might still submit those though before the deadline if I can pin down my thoughts in those categories.

Yeah, I found Adapted rather difficult this year as well.

Obviously Let the Right One In, but also I came up with David Gordon Green's work on Snow Angels, Gomorrah, and Benjamin Button, which I think has a lot of flaws.

Maybe Frost/Nixon? Doubt? Rev Road?

There's a lot of great foreign stuff from this year, but much of it wasn't widely circulated. Jacques Rivette's Don't Touch the Axe, Still Life (from Zhang Ke Jia, who did The World), Fatih Akin's The Edge of Heaven (fucking PHENOMENAL), Claude Chabrol's A Girl Cut In Two, and of course the more widely-seen Tell No One, Waltz With Bashir & I've Loved You So Long.

I just DL'ed A Christmas Tale (it left theatres right before I was going to finally see it, and never came back), and plan on watching it ASAP.

Much of the foreign stuff I still haven't gotten to check out yet, which is why I didn't attempt that list at all.

And I really don't think the screenplays for Snow Angels, Button or Rev Road are good enough to even list. Didn't see Doubt or Frost/Nixon either. :(

Doubt and Frost are solid picks, with the former being my favorite adapted that I've seen from last year. Let the Right One In, Benji, and The Dark Knight were in there as well.

Yeah, I forgot about The Dark Knight. It's certainly deserving of credit for the fairly intricate plotting and the themes; even if the dialogue fails to rise above cliche for the most part, Eckhart, Oldman and esp. Ledger sell it quite passionately.

Yeah, I forgot about The Dark Knight. It's certainly deserving of credit for the fairly intricate plotting and the themes; even if the dialogue fails to rise above cliche for the most part, Eckhart, Oldman and esp. Ledger sell it quite passionately.

The dialogue is spotty, but then you have scenes like Alfred talking about the thief in Burma or Oldman/Bale's final exchange and Oldman's closing monologue that are beyond phenomenal, to me at least.

It was an upgrade over the dialogue from the last film, too.

The dialogue is spotty, but then you have scenes like Alfred talking about the thief in Burma or Oldman/Bale's final exchange and Oldman's closing monologue that are beyond phenomenal, to me at least.

It was an upgrade over the dialogue from the last film, too.

I was talking to a couple of guys who are geeky like us about films like this, and we could not stop laughing about the dramatic way Michael Caine says, "I saw a child playing with a ruby ... the size ... of a tangerine."

I was talking to a couple of guys who are geeky like us about films like this, and we could not stop laughing about the dramatic way Michael Caine says, "I saw a child playing with a ruby ... the size ... of a tangerine."

Everything about that exchange is fantastic: the delivery, the Cockney accent... brilliant.

You need to see some of his early work, especially Get Carter. It's literally 2 hours of him kicking ass or having sex on the way to kicking ass.

For every moment in TDK as great as Alfred's Burma story and Gordon's final monologue, there is something in the screenplay as maddeningly stupid as Fox and the uber-sonar-machine or Two-Face's entire motivation (or lack thereof rather) in the final third of the film.

Harvey's motivation makes more sense the more you watch it. I saw it for the 5th time a couple weeks back and had no problems with the 3rd act of the film besides the Sonar Vision.

I dug the thinly veiled allegory to the Patriot Act and how it presented Fox with his moral dilemma, like every other character faced, but dislike how it was used to "even up" the fight with The Joker at the end. It's still less anti-climactic than the rooftop fight between Batman and Joker in Burton's Batman though.

While it doesn't completely work, TDK's still the most ambitious popcorn film I've seen in a long time... perhaps ever.

I just didn't like Dent shooting the one cop. I mean, that guy is the only reason Rudy even got in the game against Georgia Tech. That deserves some credit.

Double Down Trent came through in the clutch for Frodo in the end, while Token Angry Coach grimaced in the background.

As a result, Token Angry Coach tried to kill Richie Rich and his family about a year later. Thankfully, he was thwarted by Robin Williams' Judgmental Father from Jumanji.

Back
Top Bottom