INTERFERENCE Movie Awards 2008!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazarus

Blue Crack Supplier
Okay, hopefully we'll get more participants than last year.

Before we actually get to the nomination process, maybe we could discuss categories?

I'm thinking of dropping some tech awards, getting rid of costumes, art direction, visual effects, and maybe even editing. We probably don't need animated film either as Wall-E will win in a walk. Last year I didn't include original song or costumes and I don't see a reason to add them.

That would leave us with:

Picture
Director
Actor
Actress
Sup. Actor
Sup. Actress
Original Screenplay
Adapted Screenplay
Cinematography
Score
Foreign Language Picture

What say you?

I say this is a cool idea and why have I not participated before?!

... and I'm liking the categories :up:

I'd like to at least acknowledge tech awards in some blanket fashion, maybe Best Technical Work? Otherwise, I'm down like last year.

True. Those two and Wall-E for both Sound awards.

I think the nomination process should be done via PM and the final ballots be done in the thread, if that's how you want to roll.

That's fair. How would you feel about creating actual polls for each category? Make the final voting much simpler.

Regardless, we should have at least a few days of FYC posts, maybe even give people a week to Netflix stuff they want to cross off their lists. Or is that unrealistic?

That's fair. How would you feel about creating actual polls for each category? Make the final voting much simpler.

Regardless, we should have at least a few days of FYC posts, maybe even give people a week to Netflix stuff they want to cross off their lists. Or is that unrealistic?

Yeah, that sounds good.

A week would get in about 1-2 films for most people on either NetFlix or theaters, and I think the people who would participate are fairly set on their picks anyway, so it sounds fair enough.

I'd love to catch Che before this whole deal, but it's not playing anywhere near me and only Part One is available online... so there's that.

You'd only need to see part one to think about dishing out noms.

Alright, so let the FYCs begin, and then we can come up with dates shortly.

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION:

Best Actor--James Franco, Pineapple Express

jamesfranco.jpg

Best Actress--Cate Blanchett, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

tccobbtrailer2sample1.png

Best Supporting Actress--Saffron Burrows, The Bank Job

06_300dpi.jpg

Best Supporting Actor--David Strathairn, My Blueberry Nights

myblueberrynightsstrathairn.jpg

You'd only need to see part one to think about dishing out noms.

Really now? Then that changes things.

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION:

Rachel Getting Married

2.jpg

+ Best Director: Jonathan Demme
+ Best Actress: Anne Hathaway
+ Best Supporting Actor: Bill Irwin
+ Best Supporting Actress: Rosemarie DeWitt
+ Best Original Screenplay: Jenny Lumet

Synecdoche, New York

synecdochepostertop.jpg

+ Best Picture
+ Best Director: Charlie Kaufman
+ Best Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman
+ Best Supporting Actress: Samantha Morton
+ Best Original Screenplay: Charlie Kaufman

Best Actress: Michelle Williams, Wendy and Lucy

w&lstick.jpg

Best Cinematography: Colin Watkinson, The Fall

tarsem-the-fall-stills-06.jpg

Thank ya, sir.

Best Foreign Language Film: Let the (Motherfuckin') Right One In

lettherightonein3id3.jpg

I think these should be good awards:

Picture
Director
Ld. Actor
Ld. Actress
Sup. Actor
Sup. Actress
Original Screenplay
Adapted Screenplay
Original Score
Cinematography
Editing
Sound Design
Foreign Language

Basically what Laz suggested plus editing and sound, editing because I think it's always an interesting award, and sound because well... I'm basically obligated to suggest we do that one.

Problem is that Editing is a bit hard to judge for the casual viewer, and you're just going to wind up with a lot of noms for the fastest-paced film.

Sound design is certainly cool but it's rather techy, and then why not Art Direction? You gotta draw the line somewhere.

What are your thoughts, YLB?

Problem is that Editing is a bit hard to judge for the casual viewer, and you're just going to wind up with a lot of noms for the fastest-paced film.

Sound design is certainly cool but it's rather techy, and then why not Art Direction? You gotta draw the line somewhere.

What are your thoughts, YLB?

Yeah, if you're going to include the techie awards, then you have to include them all, as far as I'm concerned.

Make it not mandatory, and if you want to do it anyway, post them later. Fair compromise, no?

In a perfect world, we'd have all this stuff, but I feel we can't base too much on the tech aspect because the majority of the people voting don't study that aspect of filmmaking. And I think that with too many categories, you risk driving more people away because it becomes a hassle to fill in stuff you're all WTF about. It would be nicer to have a wider nominating pool this time around.

Yeah, I guess then it would be best to narrow it down to the bare basics. I'm down with that.

I mean, one could get rid of Cinematography too, but I feel like you don't have to be an expert to judge the quality of a film's images.

I think most people can tell good cinematography from the poor, even if they aren't savvy to the specific techniques or technology involved.

"Senator? You can have my answer now, if you like. My final offer is this: nothing. Not even the fee for the gaming license, which I would appreciate if you would put up personally".

Why did I quote that just now?

Because I fucking can.

Michael, we're bigger than U.S. Steel.

Cannot wait to plow through Nothing But the Truth tomorrow afternoon... it's disappointing that a lack of promotion means it'll get ignored come Oscar time, you know?

Back
Top Bottom