Indiana Jones - I believe this is worthy of its own thread. - Page 46 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #676
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
well, I just got back from seeing it.. I thoroughly enjoyed it and not going in thinking it was a Oscar winning film. My son totally dug it.
I just got back and also enjoyed it. There was a lot of clapping at the end.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #677
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:33 AM
Just saw it.

I have to say that I agree with just about everything Laz had to say. Shia is useless to me; he's devoid of any sort of charm or magnetism....and I cannot believe that Lucas/Spielberg thought that having him swing on vines with a gang of friendly simians was a good idea. Truly fucking cringe-worthy.

You know, my expectations were kind of low, but, why should they have been? These two cinema giants have had 20 years to settle on a suitable script and I cannot believe this was the best they could come up with. I'm not saying it was horrid, not at all, but, I think the franchise deserved more. I am always willing to suspend disbelief but the boat going over that series of waterfalls truly strained the limits of credibility. I'll buy the alien connection, but not that.

So, yeah, I laughed sometimes and had some fun at times, but I cannot pretend that I was not a little disappointed.

Oh, it was fun to see Harrison Ford finally flash a little of his seemingly long-lost on screen charisma/charm.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #678
The Male

Probably going to see this Tuesday...sad to see many of you are pretty disappointed. But anyway, I'm not a huge Indy fan, so my expectations aren't exactly through the roof. I suspect it'll be good fun.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #679
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I saw it today, too and gotta echo the same sentiments about the script. A lot of it was a hell of fun and worth the ride. I thought the action set pieces were some of the best/most inventive in the whole series (the bike chase, the Area 51 fight, even the jungle fight) so I'll just list what I didn't like:

- Shia and the CG Monkeys
- 3 waterfalls
- Mac / Marion / Oxley being incredibly underwritten
- CG gophers? What the fuck? This isn't Caddyshack 3
- Shia getting smacked in the nuts repeatedly during the rapier fight

This could've also been called How Harrison Ford Got His Groove Back. Seriously, what the hell has he been doing for 10+ years?

I'd put it firmly between Temple of Doom and Last Crusade though.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #680
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:33 PM
Just saw it this afternoon. My 8 year old and his friend loved it and were whipping their way out of the theatre. I happened to enjoy Shia and at the end I kinda had an inkling that he may be taking over in the future Indiana Jones movies. Still Harrison Ford wasn't bad for 68!!!

Theres nothing like the 1st in a series of movies; you don't know what to expect. After that its pretty much the same ol' stuff.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:49 PM   #681
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCOSTER View Post
Harrison Ford wasn't bad for 68!!!
He's 65--imdb.com says that he was born July 13, 1942.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #682
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:33 AM
I saw it last night and this was the worst Indiana Jones film period. It had absolutely no feel of an Indiana Jones film. Shia Lebouf??? why was he in this film. Over saturated with CG effect like the last three star crap films by Lucas. Such a shame I was expecting a lot from this film.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:45 AM   #683
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
I'm thinking about seein Crystal Skull on Monday with my father.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:15 AM   #684
ONE
love, blood, life

i thought it wasn't bad.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:57 AM   #685
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:33 PM
Well, this movie left me underwhelmed to say the least. So inferior to the sequels (even Temple of Doom) it's not even funny.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:57 AM   #686
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPurrl View Post
He's 65--imdb.com says that he was born July 13, 1942.

Still not bad for that either!!!
Old 05-25-2008, 09:01 AM   #687
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Just got back.

Slightly better than I expected, but I expected it to be pretty awful. I had fun nonetheless.

David Koepp is still a fucking atrocious writer though, and definitely the film's biggest liability. Honestly, why the hell does Spielberg keep using his stuff? Far too many lame in-jokes, weak dialogue, lousy pacing, all his fault, though overall the film is still better than Temple of Doom.

CGI is a problem too, though it isn't nearly as obtrusive as early trailers lead me to believe. Why its used, it's typically pretty poor though, which is unusual for ILM. It just doesn't fit the type of film they set out to make I think. There were plenty of times when CGI was used to create something that could have been done with visual effects to a likely better result. There's a particularly horrendous running theme of CGI animals in the film that just screams unnecessary and show-offish, gophers anyone?

As a whole, the first half is remarkably weaker than the second half, when the film picks up, loses some of its extra camp and starts to feel like Indy again. But seriously, the whole Area 51 segment was pretty eye-rolling, even for an Indy flick. Still, like I said, it's an ultimately enjoyable romp, though likely to finish as one of this summer's weaker offerings.
Said everything I was going to. Especially the part about Koepp.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #688
Blue Crack Supplier

I also wanted to add that the clapping after my screening (which as packed) was very light, scattered, and eventually sounded rather desperate. Like some people could hear there wasn't much applause and then defiantly tried to override the collective response.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #689
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:33 PM
Just got back. Better than I expected, and a better revival of the series than that other 80s born action hero John McClane.

Low points: some of the gags (those gophers and Shia swinging with the monkeys), Marion and that Brit traitor Mac. And come on, what a weak ending.

Good points: Ford. He's old but he's still got it most of the time. Also, I didn't mind Shia, in particular once they started off the "son/father" banter - the movie really took off after that point. The car chase was great. And Blanchett helped, too.

Not quite up there with Crusade or even Raiders but definitely better than Doom.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:18 PM   #690
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I know it's wrong to shit on people's opinions, but I honestly don't see how people think Last Crusade's better than Raiders. Don't get me wrong, I love them both and appreciate the better aspects of Last Crusade (Connery, the humor, action set pieces), but how this tops the original, I'll never know. I'm not trying to antagonize anyone with a differing opinion, but if you like Crusade more than Raiders, would it be cool if you told me why?

Tags
indiana jones