Indiana Jones - I believe this is worthy of its own thread. - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #301
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
I don't think it can be over-analyzed until someone starts gleaming insights from it that simply are not there to be gleamed. And what's the harm anyway? It's worthy of discussion. I see this claim a lot around these boards, that a particular video, or song or album or whatever is being over-analyzed. Seems to be a part of the reason we're here though, I dunno. If someone's able to interpret a text to a certain degree without pulling stuff out their ass, I think it only adds life to the forum. I wish more people would take the time to do it. I'm not pointing fingers here, and I'm sort of ranting, but it's just another thing I've noticed recently around here, moreso in B&C and the ever-frightening U2 sections of the forum. In most cases it seems like people use that claim as a backdoor out of a debate or uncormfortable discussion. You're obviously not doing that now... just saying.

/rant
I honestly could not debate this teaser with you if I wanted to.

But, I hear what you are saying overall, and lord knows I'm not afraid of debating things, more so in real life than here on this site, but only when I'm equipped to properly form and defend my position. When it comes to something like this teaser, I only have my visceral reaction, which was "that was pretty good", and for all I know, that reaction stemmed more from my good feelings in regards to the franchise than the teaser itself. I don't know.

So, yes, if you are able to glean information from this that you feel comfortable talking about, then I should not be so dismissive of your ability, or the ability of others, to do so.

Now, go fuck yourself.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #302
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:12 AM
Only after you kindly remove your lips from my member.

But it's interesting you mentioned the nostalgic aspect of watching the trailer. Funny they used a good 30 seconds or so of old footage from the previous films to open the trailer. Maybe they are banking on inciting that type of reaction right off the bat so people are more forgiving of the new footage? I think that's a bit too cynical, but it makes one wonder.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #303
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words

I don't know. When the analysis of the teaser takes longer to read out loud than the length of the teaser, maybe we're overanalyzing it, on both ends.

chuckle
Old 02-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #304
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Only after you kindly remove your lips from my member.

But it's interesting you mentioned the nostalgic aspect of watching the trailer. Funny they used a good 30 seconds or so of old footage from the previous films to open the trailer. Maybe they are banking on inciting that type of reaction right off the bat so people are more forgiving of the new footage? I think that's a bit too cynical, but it makes one wonder.
Cynical? Not at all. I would bet that's likely why they did do it. As YLB says, there are people out there that are not familiar with the franchise, but a lot more are, so, might as well tap into that however you can. I say that from a marketing angle, of course, not from any pure place.

Hey, even that Star Trek trailer is banking on prior knowledge of the franchise, using the music at the end, etc. (Not that I am comparing the two, the Star Trek trailer gave me goosebumps, dork that I am).
Old 02-14-2008, 05:57 PM   #305
Blue Crack Addict

Well any new entry to an old popular series is going to use its own image to promote it, it's unavoidable.

But there are clearly better ways than to just blatantly introduce a new trailer with a 40 second montage of clips straight from the old movies.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:59 PM   #306
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:12 AM
i appreciate the analysis and defense of a position, but i will say that, yes, in my opinion, there is way too much cynicism.

way too much.

it's a reintroduction, not much more. we see very little in the film, actually, 2 locations at most? 4-5 characters? compare this to the "Phantom Menace" trailer (which was amazing) and it's like the blink of an eye.

i say relax. have fun with it.

and if you don't get a charge when he swings on the whip and the two trucks crash beneath him, then you probably kiss with your mouth closed.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #307
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i appreciate the analysis and defense of a position, but i will say that, yes, in my opinion, there is way too much cynicism.

way too much.

it's a reintroduction, not much more. we see very little in the film, actually, 2 locations at most? 4-5 characters? compare this to the "Phantom Menace" trailer (which was amazing) and it's like the blink of an eye.

i say relax. have fun with it.

and if you don't get a charge when he swings on the whip and the two trucks crash beneath him, then you probably kiss with your mouth closed.
Be fair, Lance has never kissed anyone before.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #308
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Old 02-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #309
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, silly me. I should just shut up and ignore everything bad in the trailer and relish in the mere fact that they made another Indiana Jones movie. Woah! Those trucks BLEW UP! Neat-o!

Ahh, that's better.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #310
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Yeah, silly me. I should just shut up and ignore everything bad in the trailer and relish in the mere fact that they made another Indiana Jones movie. Woah! Those trucks BLEW UP! Neat-o!

Ahh, that's better.

no, just the opposite, i just said that i appreciated your analysis. i really do.

and in my opinion, it's overly cynical, almost defensive like you don't want to be crushingly disppointed like we all were when the awesome Phantom Menace trailers gave birth to the assy Phantom Menace.

and don't go full tongue at first, just little slips in here and there, just touch tips, maybe, and then pull back, and explore a bit further on the next push in.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #311
Blue Crack Addict

Fair enough.

But it's not defensiveness, because I never really expected this movie to be amazing anyway, there was almost no way it could happen. And if it's great than I'll be the first to congratulate everyone involved. I'm just taking all the info I've gathered on it, from images, videos, behind the scenes reports, interviews, what have you, and my expectations for it are lowered every time something new comes up.

And I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with the kissing analogy, but I'm fairly certain it's failing.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #312
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

And I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with the kissing analogy, but I'm fairly certain it's failing.

kissing with mouth closed = won't allow yourself to have any fun, i.e., missionary position only
Old 02-14-2008, 07:39 PM   #313
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I thought it was kind of 'meh,' too, but I wouldn't say it's 'awful.' My hopes were high, so it was indeed a bit of a let down to see old clips and then HF give a crappy line delivery (the windshield crash line) as the focus of the first trailer.

Still, I wouldn't fault it too much for the use of old clips. That seems to be the standard for new additions to 20-year-old franchises----Superman using the Brando clips, and one of the Star Wars prequels using A New Hope Obi-Wan clips. With Superman and Star Wars, however, we had awesome trailers that led up to shitty movies. Perhaps Indy will be the opposite.

It will be interesting to see how HF does in the full film, given his age (as noted in someone's comment above about his voice). Indy is a character we love, in part, for his lazy agility, kind of a quickness of mind and heart that's partially/poorly masked by aloofness. It'll be key that that quickness is still there, or if only the aloofness remains. The stunts are good at showing a physical quickness, but for some reason that crashed-through-the-windshield line delivery bugs me.

Still, I do agree with those who say that the point of this teaser was really to re-introduce/introduce us all to the character more than anything else, and to bank on nostalgic factors to excite more than to create excitement by itself. I fully expect the next trailer--one that focuses more on the movie--to be much more impressive.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #314
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:12 AM
Quote:

kissing with mouth closed = won't allow yourself to have any fun, i.e., missionary position only
Now you're getting a little ahead of yourself.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:59 PM   #315
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:12 AM
Quote:
The shots in the warehouse are just depressing. Why revisit such an iconic image from the best film in the series? All I see it doing is cheapening it. And from what I've heard of them tying the mythos of this film with that of Close Encounters, this whole thing is starting to reek of cheap self-indulgence.
Where'd you hear this?

Tags
indiana jones