Indiana Jones - I believe this is worthy of its own thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36806

Moriarty pulls through again, though this time he takes far too long to get there.

But guess what his two biggest complaints are?

1. David Koepp - Professional Hack at your service

2. Poor conception behind visual/digital effect work

The two biggest thing I was worried about.

Just the same, his review, like the other two is actually getting me more excited for this than I ever have been, which still isn't much true, but it's better.

Lancemc said:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36806

Moriarty pulls through again, though this time he takes far too long to get there.

But guess what his two biggest complaints are?

1. David Koepp - Professional Hack at your service

2. Poor conception behind visual/digital effect work

The two biggest thing I was worried about.

Just the same, his review, like the other two is actually getting me more excited for this than I ever have been, which still isn't much true, but it's better.

Normally I'm a big fan of Drew's writing, but I didn't appreciate the comments about the "smoking ruins of the Star Wars franchise". Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he give good reviews to at least 2 of the prequels?

LemonMacPhisto said:
Never been a fan of his and I hate the Amazon links in all of his posts.

Herc is a corporate whore. 75% of his posts are JUST Amazon links.

He's also a Whedon fanatic, which doesn't earn any points with me either.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Never been a fan of his and I hate the Amazon links in all of his posts.

Herc is a corporate whore. 75% of his posts are JUST Amazon links.

He's also a Whedon fanatic, which doesn't earn any points with me either.

Say what you want about Harry, but I can appreciate his emotional reactions at times, and he has a wide, wide range of taste that encompasses both trash and the highest highbrow imaginable.

lazarus said:

Normally I'm a big fan of Drew's writing, but I didn't appreciate the comments about the "smoking ruins of the Star Wars franchise". Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he give good reviews to at least 2 of the prequels?

Yeah, the Star Wars franchise is really hurting these days. Jesus, kids born 25 years after the release of the original love it and love the prequels, too. So tired of people taking shots at the franchise. Wake me up when Drew does something that resonates for three decades and counting.

Yeah, because everyone has to be able to direct a trilogy of blockbuster pictures to be allowed to criticize the Star Wars prequels... even though most critics and fans alike do feel they were massive failures just the same.

Sorry, Lance, but Lucas has achieved just a tad more than directing a trilogy of blockbusters. Also, was this a Clone Wars review, or a review regarding another franchise? Just seemed like an uncalled for sentiment, not to mention a joke of a comment. If that franchise is ruined then I've totally lost my command of the English language.

Eh, moving on.

Call me crazy, but I like Sith as much as Jedi. They've both got their faults, but their heights are fucking spectacular. There's no Ackbar equivalent in Sith, however. Sorry, Commander Cody.

As for Lucas, he's always had his skills and faults as a director and may be largely out-of-touch nowadays, but you can't negate the fact that he's been a key part in some of the best technological innovations in the film over the past 30 years.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that Jedi gets golden status because it's part of the OT, but that's great to hear. :up:

As much as I hate watching The Phantom Menace and good portion of Clones, I've really gotta do an Saga Marathon someday.

No spoken words said:
Sorry, Lance, but Lucas has achieved just a tad more than directing a trilogy of blockbusters. Also, was this a Clone Wars review, or a review regarding another franchise? Just seemed like an uncalled for sentiment, not to mention a joke of a comment. If that franchise is ruined then I've totally lost my command of the English language.

Eh, moving on.

I don't disagree. I just hate the "Oh why doesn't this critic shut up until he directs this or that..blah blah blah" spiel I here so often when someone criticizes a beloved film or series. I'll be the first to admit admiration of Lucas' achievements in advancing modern cinema, and having seen American Graffiti (one of my favorites now) and THX-1138 I have a whole other level of respect for his directing talent. And no, obviously the Star Wars franchise isn't ruined, but just the same, why does one need to achieve the same amount as a director to be granted the right to express a radical negative opinion on it?

But this is an Indy 4 thread, and I'm still amazed how every discussion on this board somehow finds its way to talking about Star Wars prequels.

‘Indiana Jones’: The Verdict Is In From MTV News And It’s Not All Good

Published by Josh Horowitz on Monday, May 19, 2008 at 7:03 pm.

My friends, I have seen “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” and as much as I’d love to say “hold on to your potatoes,” I’m feeling a little blue today (check out what all the other critics are saying here). Keep in mind, I’m reserving my final judgment on this one until I see it a few more times but my first thoughts upon leaving the screening were nothing short of abject disapointment.

I had a good time. Watching Harrison roll around and jump from moving vehicle to moving vehicle was glorious at times. Marian Ravenwood’s smile can still light up a room. Hell, I even though Shia LaBeouf was the best Indy sidekick this side of Short Round.

BUT…and I’m afraid this is a truly all capital letter befitting BUT…this film doesn’t nearly compare with any of the previous three. It’s just not in the same universe. It’s a riff on Indy, as if a half-finished plot outline had been found by admirers of the original trilogy and done up in the best Spielberg-ian style they could muster. Musical cues by John Williams only call attention to the greatness of the previous works. Set pieces never soar. It’s a movie that feels rushed and padded all at the same time. Believe me, every word I write here kills me. Keep in mind, you’re reading the thoughts of a guy who still defends “The Phantom Menace.”

Got my ticket for the midnight showing on Wednesdayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!

WoooooooFUCKINGhooooooooooo!!!!!!!

My buddies and I have a tradition of sneaking rum into the theater when we go see big event movies on opening night.

So I will be promptly posting a drunk review of Indy 4 here at around 3 am Thursday morning.....keep at least one eye peeled for it!!!

GirlsAloudFan said:
Got my ticket for the midnight showing on Wednesdayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!

WoooooooFUCKINGhooooooooooo!!!!!!!

My buddies and I have a tradition of sneaking rum into the theater when we go see big event movies on opening night.

So I will be promptly posting a drunk review of Indy 4 here at around 3 am Thursday morning.....keep at least one eye peeled for it!!!

Why would you get drunk to watch a movie?

give the guy a break
him and his buddies are in their early 20s

this sounds about right
get a start at the movie, then hit a bar or club afterwards :shrug:

and from what I've read, rum might add to the enjoyment of "this movie".

No spoken words said:

Why would you get drunk to watch a movie?

It's tradition, man. We've done it ever since we were sophomores in high school.

We each take a pint of rum and pour it into the cokes we buy at the concession stand. After that, we go to a bar and discuss the movie over a few brews. It's a time-honored tradition and a hell of a lotta fun. We only do it for the really big premieres, though.

GirlsAloudFan said:

It's tradition, man. We've done it ever since we were sophomores in high school.

We each take a pint of rum and pour it into the cokes we buy at the concession stand. After that, we go to a bar and discuss the movie over a few brews. It's a time-honored tradition and a hell of a lotta fun. We only do it for the really big premieres, though.

Why is this a tradition, though? You need to be drunk for a movie? I don't get it. You can get trashed with your buddies any other time. Going to a bar after the movie, sure, whatever, but slipping rum into your soda during a film? I am just curious why that's something anyone would do.

deep said:
give the guy a break
him and his buddies are in their early 20s

this sounds about right
get a start at the movie, then hit a bar or club afterwards :shrug:

and from what I've read, rum might add to the enjoyment of "this movie".

Just because you need to drink your gin before posting does not mean everyone need follow suit.

:)

No spoken words said:

Why is this a tradition, though? You need to be drunk for a movie? I don't get it. You can get trashed with your buddies any other time. Going to a bar after the movie, sure, whatever, but slipping rum into your soda during a film? I am just curious why that's something anyone would do.

I've never understood the phenomena of getting wasted at a concert either...

You pay all this money to go to the concert and then you pay a lot more money to drink so that you won't remember the show either on account of being too drunk or being in the beer tent for the whole show.

Why not just stay at home with a two-four and a CD? :shrug:

elevated_u2_fan said:

I've never understood the phenomena of getting wasted at a concert either...

You pay all this money to go to the concert and then you pay a lot more money to drink so that you won't remember the show either on account of being too drunk or being in the beer tent for the whole show.

Why not just stay at home with a two-four and a CD? :shrug:

Couldn't agree more. And, trust me, I am reluctant to agree with you.

No spoken words said:

Yeah I didn't exactly answer your question earlier.

We certainly don't need to be drunk for the movie.

The reason we originally started out doing it was for the thrill. A bunch of high school kids walking into a crowded movie theater with bottles of rum tucked in our jackets...I think we thought we were God's gift to teenage mischievousness. And then it ended up being fun. A way to add a little excitement to the whole movie-going experience. It was cool to walk outside after the show with a little buzz.

So to make a long story short I would say the main reason we do it is, purely and simply, because it is fun.

Back
Top Bottom