Indiana Jones - I believe this is worthy of its own thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Lancemc
Some sequels actually make for a great franchise (see Indy again), and some very rare cases even surpass the original (Star Wars, Terminator).

Godfather II, anyone? :wink:

Originally posted by Lancemc
Much more often than not sequels pale in comparison to the original (including the Indy films), and often even disgrace the original.

You mean, like Godfather III?

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
Hey, anything new doesn't make the old bad (unless they make Greedo shoot first... again). I like expanding the universe and even Young Indy has it's own appeal.

agreed.

i'd be nervous about this if anyone other than Spielberg was directing. but he is. and despite his rather obvious shortcomings as a filmmaker (sentimentality, over-explaining, not trusting his audience) nobody knows how to make a credible thrill-machine better than Spielberg (and no one, really, is as gifted a filmmaker of the fast and the funny and the fantastical). the first film is nearly perfect in every way imaginable, the second film is a good time, and the third film managed to flesh out the character in a genuinely human manner and it boasts the best, funniest script of the three.

i see no reason to think that this one won't at least be worthy of inclusion.

Who's writing this one? The real question: how much involvement did George Lucas have in writing the screenplay? Temple saw the most Lucas, and was thus the worst of the three. Same with the Star Wars prequels. He's got great "big ideas," but needs to be kept away from the screenplays...

Utoo said:
Who's writing this one? The real question: how much involvement did George Lucas have in writing the screenplay? Temple saw the most Lucas, and was thus the worst of the three. Same with the Star Wars prequels. He's got great "big ideas," but needs to be kept away from the screenplays...

David Koepp, who wrote Jurassic Park, Mission: Impossible, War of the Worlds...

I'm still pissed Lucas vetoed Fran Darabont's script. He only wrote/directed one of the greatest movies of all-time, The Shawkshank Redemption, so yeah, good call Lucas.

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2007/06/29/shia-labeouf-pompadour/

From the New Haven set:

shia-labeouf-pompadour-00.jpg

Ford Can Still Fit Into Indy's Trousers
By JAYMES SONG, Associated Press Writer
Fri Jul 13, 10:17 PM

HILO, Hawaii - Harrison Ford, who turned 65 Friday, still fits into Indiana Jones' tight trousers.

Many fans are curious to see if, 18 years after "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade," Ford can live up to the physical rigors of the globe-trotting archaeologist in the long-awaited fourth installment of the epic series.

Producers of the adventure, currently being filmed on Hawaii's Big Island, say there's no need to worry. Ford is as fit as ever.

"I have to say, he looks amazing," said Kathleen Kennedy, the film's co-executive producer, along with George Lucas. "He looks fantastic in the outfit."

Actually, Ford knew the hat would still fit but wondered if he could still squeeze into the pants. He did.

The action star, who first introduced Indiana Jones, sporting his fedora and cracking his bullwhip, in the 1981 classic "Raiders of the Lost Ark," is actually doing many of his own stunts in the latest film.

"He's doing them, he just has a few more ice packs and a few more massages," Kennedy said.

"And a lot of Celebrex," producer Frank Marshall added.

The movie just completed the first of three weeks of filming in Hawaii, after spending a week each in New Mexico and Connecticut. The lush areas surrounding Hilo are filling in as a South American rain forest.

Lucas and director Steven Spielberg have not released the title of the film, scheduled for release May 22, 2008.

The filming has created a buzz on this normally sleepy island, known for macadamia nuts and premium Kona coffee. It's the most action since nearby Kilauea volcano rumbled to life in 1983. Like Indiana Jones, the still-erupting volcano has been an attraction ever since.

In the privately owned jungles of Keaau, one of the movie locations, two colorful signs that were drawn in crayon and decorated with balloons were displayed at Liberty Christian School.

One welcomed the cast and crew of the film. The other read: "Happy Birthday, Harrison Ford."

Janae Pacheco helped draw the sign, even though the 8-year-old student admitted not knowing Ford or seeing his movies.

"Not exactly," she said, when asked if she knew Ford. "But my teacher does."

The film's biggest action sequences are being filmed in Hawaii. Marshall compared one scene to the thrilling, white-knuckled truck chase in the desert in "Raiders."

"It's that level," he said.

Hawaii will be featured in about 20 percent of the film. About half will be from sets in Los Angeles. The Aloha State was also the backdrop for portions of "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

Ford, Lucas, Spielberg, Kennedy and Marshall all worked together on what till now has been the trilogy. So, it was a homecoming of sorts.

"We're having a great time. It's so much fun being together," said Marshall, who has produced more than 50 films, including "Poltergeist," "Gremlins," "The Goonies," "The Color Purple," "Back to the Future" trilogy, "The Sixth Sense" and the "Bourne" trilogy.

"Nobody's worried about their careers any more," he said.

The latest Indy adventure is set in the 1950s and, in addition to Ford, stars Shia LaBeouf, Cate Blanchett, Ray Winstone and Jim Broadbent. One popular character not in the line-up is Sean Connery, who played Indy's father.

"We would've loved to have Sean do a cameo-type part in this but he's very much enjoying retirement," Kennedy said.

She promised movie fans, who have patiently waited since the 1989 "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade," would get the same level of excitement as the previous three films.

"The cleverness, the humor and the tone of Indiana Jones is very much alive and well in this movie," Kennedy said.

The producers are being very tightlipped about the movie, and the remote sets are well guarded, leading to rampant rumors on blogs and chat sites.

It took some time to get to the fourth film, partly because of the schedules of Spielberg, Lucas and Ford. Plus, they knew they had to deliver another hit.

"The bar was pretty high," Kennedy said.

___

On the Net:

Indiana Jones: http://www.indianajones.com/

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

:drool::hyper:

Will I mentally be able to deal with Russians instead of Nazis? I miss my movie Nazis:(

True...Nazis are so easy to root against...

"Nazis. I hate these guys"

OK I'm going to go watch Raiders now...I watched a documentary ( :nerd: ) on the Ark of the Covenant recently so now I have an excuse to watch it again....

U2democrat said:
True...Nazis are so easy to root against...

"Nazis. I hate these guys"

OK I'm going to go watch Raiders now...I watched a documentary ( :nerd: ) on the Ark of the Covenant recently so now I have an excuse to watch it again....

Commies are the next best thing after Nazis though, but it's still about 56 rungs down on the Amazing Villain Ladder.

There are rumors of Area 51 being involving in here, too... :whistle:

LemonMacPhisto said:

There are rumors of Area 51 being involving in here, too... :whistle:

That rumor was from the original script that "supposedly" was scrapped many years ago. There was also mention of the Roswell incident being a factor from that one.

Who knows what was changed, revised, re done, etc... Just hope its good! It better be. :)

Smoking Gun has a report that the Ark is going to make a return in Indy IV, except as the power source for a giant Soviet robot :cool:

Canadiens1160 said:
Smoking Gun has a report that the Ark is going to make a return in Indy IV, except as the power source for a giant Soviet robot :cool:

Yakov Smirnoffbot?

[q]The film's biggest action sequences are being filmed in Hawaii. Marshall compared one scene to the thrilling, white-knuckled truck chase in the desert in "Raiders."

[/q]

:drool:

and that remains, to this day, the most exciting chase scene i've ever seen.

why? because it's coherent and linear and you can understand who is where and what they are doing so listen the fuck up Michael Bay and other directors who think that crazy camera angles and slo-mo and loud noises create intensity.

Irvine511 said:
[q]The film's biggest action sequences are being filmed in Hawaii. Marshall compared one scene to the thrilling, white-knuckled truck chase in the desert in "Raiders."

[/q]

why? because it's coherent and linear and you can understand who is where and what they are doing so listen the fuck up Michael Bay and other directors who think that crazy camera angles and slo-mo and loud noises create intensity.

:up::up::up:

I enjoyed Transformers but really despise Michael Bay. I don't know how that's even possible, but okay.

Irvine511 said:

[/q]

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Honestly my favourite thing about Michael Bay is not really that related to him, in that the soundtrack to The Rock is the best soundtrack ever.

DUm dum dum DUm dum dum, dum dum dum DUM dum dum, ticka ti9cka ticka ticka ticak ticka,

John Williams is #1 on Lucas' and Spielberg's speed dial, I'm sure he'll be involved with this one. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom