Indiana Jones - I believe this is worthy of its own thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2democrat said:
:lol:

deep, I think you've set your expectations so low that even watching paint dry would surpass them.

:shrug:

here is a picture of Ford without makeup

dd_dunn17_0213_kr.jpg

Wish they'd work on Lao Che more, he was a better villain in those few minutes than that cult leader.

Luckily Connery/Ford dialogues made the Crusade work, unlike anything Capshaw or Short Round did in Doom.

wow, more reviews that are positive. i guess it went over much better. perhaps the AICN review was a plant to lower fan boy expectations.

i skim these reviews and try to avoid plot details and focus more on judgments bout quality. here's an excerpt:

[q]All the classic ingredients are thrown into the mix - murky temples with devilish contraptions, ancient pictographs scrawled on walls, and horrible creepy-crawlies scurrying over the imperilled heroine.

Director Steven Spielberg has largely jettisoned computer generated effects (much to the chagrin of tech freak Lucas) with the result that the film's action sequences have a visceral, physical quality you rarely find in modern-day blockbusters.

[...]

For the hardcore Jones fans, this film was never going to live up to expectations.

One cinemagoer leaving the first press screening in Cannes said: "George Lucas, you gotta stop hurting us".

But this is no Phantom Menace or Godfather III. The quality control has been maintained, despite the 19-year wait.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7407209.stm

[/q]

U2girl said:
Wish they'd work on Lao Che more, he was a better villain in those few minutes than that cult leader.

Luckily Connery/Ford dialogues made the Crusade work, unlike anything Capshaw or Short Round did in Doom.

I think it's funny that you never hear from him again. Unless you count the video game 'Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb' as canon - it leads right into Temple of Doom.

There have also been reviews saying that it's the best of the sequels, or that it's more in line with Last Crusade but still better than Temple of Doom, or that it's as good as Temple of Doom and better than Last Crusade.

All in all, depends on the level of fandom going into it. The common criticism does seem to go back into Lucas' story, which does look ridiculous, even for an Indy flick.

Then again, who at Cannes doesn't have a giant stick up their ass when it comes to movies like these?

The reviewer I linked to was anything but a stuck-up arthouse snob. And other early AICN reviews felt the same way, though many of their legitimacy is of question.

A few other Cannes reviews I've seen so far have been positive like you said, though any film "as good as Temple Of Doom" is still a pile of shit in my eyes. But the bottom line does look like the story is ridiculous, the script it terrible (David Koepp, Professional Hack at your service), and LeDouche is lame as usual. Everything else seems to be getting varying reactions depending on personal preferences, so we'll see how it goes.

The reviews I've read
sound like about 2 1/2 stars out of 5
or perhaps even 3/5

it could have easily been a 1 or 2 star movie.

I give them credit. The cards were stacked against them.

It will do good business this weekend.

but, it will be judged on the "expectations" scale.

Mission Impossible III had a very good opening and went on to do great box office. But all the talk was about how it did not meet expectations.

I thought MI:3 was the best and most exciting of the whole series, but that's just me.

Opinions are gonna vary, but yeah Lance, those probably will be constants.

I enjoyed MI:3 more than most did. Solid actioner for sure. Still preferred the original Cruise film, but it was a huge improvement over Woo's misguided sequel. Sure it was fairly mindless, but it succeeded on the basic terms of a star-driven action flick.

All in all I think I'll end up enjoying Indy 4 in the same way I enjoyed something like Revenge of the Sith...meaning not too much, but there will still be a few moments and components I find worth watching. Though, I'm less of an Indy fan than I am Star Wars fan, so I might not even enjoy it that much.

MI 3 was a good film

but, all I remember hearing, was that Cruise had missed the mark
because the BO did not meet expectations

And Lance, reading your earlier posts in this thread, I think we are in agreement

sequels more often than not,
should be avoided

15 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes so far. 67%. Not bad.

I look forward to seeing it and am hoping to be pleasantly surprised, since my expectations are fairly low.

Rotten Tomatoes

as long as it stays above 60 it will be fresh
fresh.gif

if it falls below 60, it will be rotten
rotten.gif

vote early
vote often

Last edited:
Bah, the Thursday night showing at Cinerama is already sold out.

What was I thinking, waiting to buy a ticket? Oh well. That just means I won't get to hang out in line on the sidewalk with the other fanboys and fangirls.

No spoken words said:
YLB, will you take Ms. YLB to see this?

We're gonna go over the weekend if we can get tix.

She's having a 'Temple of Doom' Night at her house beforehand, so that'll be cool, even if it's my least fave of the series.

This will be occurring sometime before my 'Shaft in Africa' Night as well.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:

This will be occurring sometime before my 'Shaft in Africa' Night as well.

Is this a euphemism for some deep-seeded sexual attraction toward black women?

http://aintitcool.com/node/36804

Could he seriously be any worse at reviewing movies? Like fucking SERIOUSLY? Just read the first two paragraphs. I'm not just nagging him because he liked the film, I'm actually just a bit more optimistic about it because of some of the things he's (more so many other reviews though) said.

But just from a critical point of view. What I completely worthless pile this guy continues to prove himself to be.

I really only read Quint or Moriarty's reviews out of the all of the main reviewers on that site. Quint's review isn't as enthusiastic, but it provides a solid point-of-view while presenting both sides of the film... you know, like reviews should.

If I want to get unrealistically pumped for a movie, I'll read a Harry review.

Just read Quint's review. A good, even-headed foil to Harry's typical nutcase rants.

I only take Moriarty seriously though.

Is Herc the one that does the Coaxial TV thing on the side of the page?

If so, I like him. He used to talk about Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars all the time....which makes you cool in my book.

And I also kinda like Harry. I'm a sucker for enthusiasm.

Back
Top Bottom