Indiana Jones - I believe this is worthy of its own thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:
brilliant movie, and probably his best performance, and Ford's only Oscar nomination.

Ford has done some very good work in his career,

If Spielberg wanted to resurrect the Indy franchise he should have just done one with a new lead 25- 30 years later

and only given Ford a small cameo as a mentor that the new Indy seeks out, in one scene for some advice

this is how it is usually done

I don't want to be bombarded with 2 hours of seeing a broken down old Indy

this will be about as successful as
Sharon Stone's Basic Instinct 2

elevated_u2_fan said:

pfft... I seem to remember someone being quite a vocal Indy supporter in the Solo vs Jones poll...

Now I see how it is :tsk:

I think you have me confused with someone else. My recollection of movies is not that great, and I don't think I would have been very vocal one way or the other

waits to see if elfa is gonna prove me wrong. :skared: :reject:

unfortunately there will not be enough interest at the box office for this film to be deemed a success,
after all the die-hard fans go

the "word of mouth" will not be good

my point was not for someone to replace him

it was for a "new" character to pick up the torch and carry on

in 1981 if they released the original Indy film with some 65 year old lead it would not have been a success at all

deep said:
unfortunately there will not be enough interest at the box office for this film to be deemed a success,
after all the die-hard fans go

the "word of mouth" will not be good

my point was not for someone to replace him

it was for a "new" character to pick up the torch and carry on

in 1981 if they released the original Indy film with some 65 year old lead it would not have been a success at all

If anything it'll bring more interest to the previous films, and get newer fans to check this one out, it'd take a very strange series of events for this to not be the highest grossing movie of the summer.

powerhour24 said:

it'd take a very strange series of events for this to not be the highest grossing movie of the summer.

you do have a point

with Spielberg
a huge 'built-in' fan base
new young "fresh" stars attached (Cate and Shia)

all support your premise

I think it will be like Tom Cruise's last Mission Impossible film,

It did open good, and did make money
but, it was deemed a failure because it did not meet expectations

I don't believe this movie will be in the "top" three, perhaps not even the top 5 of the year.

and therefore the talk will be
that it is a "miss".

well, next Sunday it will screen at Cannes
(out of competition, with Kung Fu Panda)

so, they will have the first word

then it will open wide on Thursday, May 22
Memorial Day weekend,
with a giant 5 day gross, they will be off to a good start, but will it have legs??

I was shopping at Target yesterday, and the product placement for toys is already in place. There was an endcap display with Lego Indy Jones stuff as well as a Monopoly version of Indy too :|

and elfa :flirt:

U2democrat said:
I'd rather see Ford as a broken down old Indy than see anyone else as Indy.

i agree. he's perfection in the role. not that it's a "hard" role, per se, but that nobody else could have played it and made a character defined almost solely through action (and reaction) as indelible and human as Ford did.

ever notice that Indy never wins? he just escapes?

deep said:
well, next Sunday it will screen at Cannes
(out of competition, with Kung Fu Panda)

so, they will have the first word

then it will open wide on Thursday, May 22
Memorial Day weekend,
with a giant 5 day gross, they will be off to a good start, but will it have legs??

it depresses me when we understand the quality of a film as being equal to its gross at the B.O.

this is what gives us abominations like "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" and their oppressive marketing campaigns.

Irvine511 said:

i agree. he's perfection in the role. not that it's a "hard" role, per se, but that nobody else could have played it and made a character defined almost solely through action (and reaction) as indelible and human as Ford did.

That's one of the reasons why Indy's one of the greatest action heroes of all-time. Like John McLane, they get the shit kicked out of them and it shows, but while Indy's thrust into more fantastic and insane situations, he has the more natural reaction.

LemonMacPhisto said:

That's one of the reasons why Indy's one of the greatest action heroes of all-time. Like John McLane, they get the shit kicked out of them and it shows, but while Indy's thrust into more fantastic and insane situations, he has the more natural reaction.

and it's not kick-ass, rah-rah, all-these-eggheads-are-idiots-but-me-the-authentic-working-american cowboy bullshit, either.

Irvine511 said:

and it's not kick-ass, rah-rah, all-these-eggheads-are-idiots-but-me-the-authentic-working-american cowboy bullshit, either.

Right, but aside from that there's a comparison to be drawn.

10 days, guys.

Irvine511 said:

I know what it is "to want", "to desire" things from the past that we have enjoyed so much

I have also learned that sometimes, most times you can not go home again

I have had many memories, and experiences diminished significantly by expecting to be able to "recapture" that "magic moment" that really is no longer possible

It has been a long time since I watched "Body Heat"

I did see K. Turner on stage last year doing "Virginia Wolf" she was great,
But she was not "Body Heat" hot

William hurt is still doing great work,
but he should not try and reprise a "Body Heat" role, again.

Ford should be doing work that fits the person he is now.

Have you seen what Ford's done since Air Force One?

I'm glad he's back to doing Indy for the hell of it.

I have seen most everything

and could discuss the merits of each film for what it was

but, why bother?

if you are saying he has loss his edge and can't play roles that are appropriate for him

then, trying to reprise Indy will be even worse.

I did not buy the the last Rocky movie, either

though some die hard fans gave it a thumbs up

He's obviously got the acting chops and charisma to pull anything off, but he was just in a string of absolutely clunkers. I don't know what happened, but it did, and I'm glad that I'll be able to see him play Indy for the presumably the last time. To me, it's a huge deal to see an Indy movie on the big screen for the first time, but I can see where you're coming from, too.

Rocky Balboa was the best Rocky movie since the original, but I still have a soft spot for the over-the-top III and IV. It's always fun to see Rocky single-handedly end the Cold War.

deep said:

I know what it is "to want", "to desire" things from the past that we have enjoyed so much

I have also learned that sometimes, most times you can not go home again

I have had many memories, and experiences diminished significantly by expecting to be able to "recapture" that "magic moment" that really is no longer possible

It has been a long time since I watched "Body Heat"

I did see K. Turner on stage last year doing "Virginia Wolf" she was great,
But she was not "Body Heat" hot

William hurt is still doing great work,
but he should not try and reprise a "Body Heat" role, again.

Ford should be doing work that fits the person he is now.

:shrug:

let's see what happens.

i think most of us are adults who adored the movies as a kid and are well aware that its hard to capture lightning in a bottle again, even if it's a whiz-bang adventure movie being directed by Spielberg.

we (those born 1970-1980ish) are the children of George and Unka Stevie, and we do know all to well that they are human.

i think we've all learned to modify our expectations after "Phantom Menace."

I really do respect all the Indy fans in here

and there are a lot of young fans that did not a chance to see it on the big screen

There are theaters where I live that do play old films on Wednesday nights

2001, Lawance of Arabia, Taxi Driver, Fast Times at Ridgemont are some that have played recently, I think there is a demand hopefully this will become more common

I think I may have done some good in this thread by lowering 'expectations'

I may see the new film, I not sure I want to have a new imprint of an old Indy
should I have the opportunity to see "Raiders" on the big screen again

elevated_u2_fan said:

ah yes, "The Phantom Menace" effect... :wink:

we've had three internet reviews so far. one is a pan, and the other two are lukewarm.

gotta wonder if these aren't plants -- diminish expectations so the movie comes as a surprise, rather than a letdown.

The only theater that plays older films on a regular basis is out at CityWalk, which is about a 30 minute drive away. That'd be fun to catch on a Saturday night or something, but no one wants to go with me.

LemonMacPhisto said:
The only theater that plays older films on a regular basis is out at CityWalk,

Do you mean Universal City?

I have been going alone for awhile now.

At first I was a little self-conscious about it.

Now, I think I kind of prefer it, sometimes. :shrug:

Yeah, out by Universal Studios.

I never like going to movies alone. It makes me feel like Pee-Wee Herman or something.

Back
Top Bottom