Indiana Jones - I believe this is worthy of its own thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
29 pages
and over 400 posts

well, I will add my 2 cents

I expept the new film to perform below expectations

I saw previews at the theater last night :yawn:

some times it is just better to let old dogs, sleep

this film will disappoint

interesting article in the NYT today, and it ends with this nice summarization that i happen to agree with:

[q]The big action scenes in the Indiana Jones movies are almost risibly inorganic to the narratives that contain them. This kind of randomness is risky — not to be tried at home, or by any filmmaker less prodigiously gifted than Mr. Spielberg. You need a rigorous imagination for visual comedy to make movies as exhilaratingly ridiculous as these.

“John Williams and I have a word we use when we have something we think the audience will love,” Mr. Spielberg said, referring to the composer who has scored all the Indiana Jones movies. “Maybe it’ll be a little over the top, and we ask each other, ‘Are we being too shameless?’ In a way I think we’ve both grown kind of proud of being shameless.”

When the jokes are good, as they frequently are in the Indy pictures, there’s every reason for pride. These goofy movies tell you as much about Steven Spielberg as his more serious work does. Movies truly are a form of recreation for him, and he’s the kind of artist who reveals himself fully in the intensity of his play. In the Indiana Jones movies he revives the spirit of silent comedy in the adventures of an intellectual with a bullwhip. And that’s a feat that, whether you think it’s worth doing or not, at least deserves high marks for degree of difficulty. If only everybody else in Hollywood hadn’t tried to imitate him, he’d have nothing to be ashamed of at all.
[/q]

1. Raiders, 2.Crusade, 3. Doom.

I don't have any expectations other than I hope it's not an embarassement to the series like Die Hard 4.0 and that Ford can still physically act Indiana Jones. (I guess no one thought of doing a prequel with a younger actor - it worked for Batman and Bond)

Along with the new Bond and HP 6 (and maybe Batman) easily my most anticipated movie of the year.

U2girl said:
1. Raiders, 2.Crusade, 3. Doom.

I don't have any expectations other than I hope it's not an embarassement to the series like Die Hard 4.0 and that Ford can still physically act Indiana Jones. (I guess no one thought of doing a prequel with a younger actor - it worked for Batman and Bond)

Along with the new Bond and HP 6 (and maybe Batman) easily my most anticipated movie of the year.

Ummm, Batman's a reboot, not a prequel and they did the Young Indiana Jones television show.

Well, the story itself was a prequel, it's true they used a new director and the movies went to a new direction.

The Indiana Jones Chronicles was done (I watched both the "kid" and "young" Indy series - are they considered "canon" and was Lucas involved with those ?), but would that idea not work in a movie too ?

U2girl said:
Well, the story itself was a prequel, it's true they used a new director and the movies went to a new direction.

The story is not a prequel. It doesn´t have anything to do with Tim Burton´s Batman, not only in terms of story, but in terms of character. It is a complete reboot of the franchise.

Yeah, it can't be a prequel because it tells the origin story over again, and it's completely different from the one in Burton's film.

Also, if Wayne Manor is destroyed at the end of Nolan's film, it couldn't be standing in the "later" Burton installments.

lazarus said:
Yeah, it can't be a prequel because it tells the origin story over again, and it's completely different from the one in Burton's film.

Also, if Wayne Manor is destroyed at the end of Nolan's film, it couldn't be standing in the "later" Burton installments.

Or the fact that Gordon (or anybody else in Gotham for that matter) has no idea who Batman is. Plus he's a fat grumpy old man in Burton's version.

lazarus said:

You don't think it'll be rebuilt like mentioned at the end of Batman Begins?

Someday, I'm sure Lucas will fuck up the series by making some prequels with bad dialogue and even worse acting, with special effects that make it look much, much more developed than Raiders.

First screening review up on Aint It Cool News, and...it's not good. Apparently others at the screening felt the same way about it.

Non-spoiler complaints include LaBoof (of course), cheap sets, bad jokes, a lack of real suspense, and a lackluster Ford.

Strangely, no complaints about Lucas's story.

If all this turns out to be accurate, all I can say is Told Ya So.

we'll see. i remember positive reviews back in 2002 of "Attack of the Clones" on AICN, and we know how that turned out.

but i'll prepare myself to have my childhood destroyed, again, by Lucas.

:sigh:

lazarus said:
First screening review up on Aint It Cool News, and...it's not good. Apparently others at the screening felt the same way about it.

Non-spoiler complaints include LaBoof (of course), cheap sets, bad jokes, a lack of real suspense, and a lackluster Ford.

Strangely, no complaints about Lucas's story.

If all this turns out to be accurate, all I can say is Told Ya So.

Are you ever positive? At the point as a rational movie fan I'm much more inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to Spielberg over AICN, word was they weren't even showing it until Cannes.

Irvine511 said:
we'll see. i remember positive reviews back in 2002 of "Attack of the Clones" on AICN, and we know how that turned out.

but i'll prepare myself to have my childhood destroyed, again, by Lucas.

:sigh:

Well from the looks of this review Lucas isn't what you should be worried about. It's the execution.

And that's okay, for every cynical person's childhood that was "destroyed", there's a younger, new fan who loved the prequels and will be just as inspired by them as you were by the originals.

lazarus said:

Well from the looks of this review Lucas isn't what you should be worried about. It's the execution.

And that's okay, for every cynical person's childhood that was "destroyed", there's a younger, new fan who loved the prequels and will be just as inspired by them as you were by the originals.

true. maybe this movie will have fart jokes.

But, seriously, it would be a better morning if whoever wrote that review had come out and said that the movie kicked-ass and that it was the best thing since bread came sliced and that he can't wait to see it again, right? Right?

Ahhhhhhhhhh well. Damn.

Ain'tItSupremelyDisappointingNews.com

GirlsAloudFan said:

Ain'tItSupremelyDisappointingNews.com

crushing expectations, hopes, and dreams is always good to up the traffic on your website.

that said, i didn't read the review thoroughly since i don't want the spoilers, but it is entirely within the realm of possibility that this movie could totally suck. i think the trailers are good, and i am excited to revisit a very compelling character and find out what's happened since LC.

but it could suck. Lucas and Spielberg are much different men. Spielberg is more interested in being taken seriously these days, and Lucas ... well, he seems to have been living in a hermetically sealed bubble since 1982 where Justin Timberlake makes so much sense as the template for Anakin Skywalker.

Like they'd go through all those writers, drafts, and false-starts just to pick a bad one and phone it in, even if it isn't mind-boggling I doubt it will be anything less than great summer entertainment.

powerhour24 said:
Like they'd go through all those writers, drafts, and false-starts just to pick a bad one and phone it in, even if it isn't mind-boggling I doubt it will be anything less than great summer entertainment.

i agree that if the sole motivation was cash, we'd have had an Indy 4 in the early 1990s.

but then again, Ford is o-l-d.

if it was ever going to happen, it had to happen now.

:shrug:

but sometimes movies are good, and sometimes they aren't. you can't buy magic.

I'm still reserving judgment on the movie until I friggin' see it. One of the reviewers said Temple of Doom was his 2nd-fave after Raiders... I mean, come on.

If it's entertaining, then it's done it's job. I wasn't around to see those movies when they first came out, so maybe my attachment to the series isn't as great as others around here - even if I watched them endlessly on tape/DVD as a kid. Gonna see it right after school on opening day. :up:

Back
Top Bottom