Indiana Jones - I believe this is worthy of its own thread. - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #181
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:16 PM
One of my favorite lines in the whole series:

"Mos Eisley Spaceport... you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Fuck, I miss you 1976 George Lucas.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #182
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:16 PM
Fucking nerds.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #183
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I said no camels.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #184
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Fucking nerds.
Quote:

I'm really craving some Malick now though for some reason, and have no means to satiate my hunger.
You were saying?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:59 PM   #185
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:16 PM
Quote:
Fucking nerds.
YLB, you be the Kettle.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #186
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Okay, boss.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:06 PM   #187
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo
^ 35 by the release in 1977. I don't know when they started filming, but it wasn't that much before.

I'm psyched for this. I'm nervous about the sci-fi "The Blob," "Creature From the Black Lagoon," etc. references, but I trust Spielberg & Ford's judgement....if it took them 15+ years to agree with a Lucas script, it has my attention.

Why is everyone so quick to take Darabont's side in this? Are we not forgetting this is the guy who gave us the bloated wannabe important Green Mile and the freaking Majestic?

Just because Lucas isn't a good writer on his own doesn't mean he can't recognize when someone else's script isn't working. I don't think he would shit all over it without some kind of reason.

Bottom line is that Indy is Lucas's baby, and I like his seemingly objective analysis of the trilogy in the Vanity Fair article, especially his comments about Last Crusade, which is ridiculously overrated. It sounds to me like he's trying to put elements in the film that will make it more like Raiders, which is really the only great film in the trilogy anyway. This is a bad thing? However, the "MacGuffin" that he's come up with for Crystal Skull is either going to be really cool, or really bad.

I loved reading Lucas talk about the difference between Indiana Jones & Han Solo, and why Ford was so perfect for both. I don't know how you can read this and still be so cynical about the guy.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:12 PM   #188
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I would agree with you, but what about when Spielberg says it was the best screenplay he had seen since Raiders? I'm not sure if he meant purely Indiana Jones or screenplays in general, but it's all the same. As much as you dislike Spielberg, I think Lucas has made more wrong decisions over screenplays in his career than Spielberg has. I'll take saccharine endings (A.I., Schindler's, Private Ryan) over complete messes (Episodes I and II).

Either way, they're both ridiculously talented filmmakers, even if they have their flaws, and I'm convinced they will do their best to deliver a good Indy movie.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:13 PM   #189
Blue Crack Addict

Fuck this movie. I just want Interstellar.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #190
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

Why is everyone so quick to take Darabont's side in this? Are we not forgetting this is the guy who gave us the bloated wannabe important Green Mile and the freaking Majestic?

Just because Lucas isn't a good writer on his own doesn't mean he can't recognize when someone else's script isn't working. I don't think he would shit all over it without some kind of reason.

Bottom line is that Indy is Lucas's baby, and I like his seemingly objective analysis of the trilogy in the Vanity Fair article, especially his comments about Last Crusade, which is ridiculously overrated. It sounds to me like he's trying to put elements in the film that will make it more like Raiders, which is really the only great film in the trilogy anyway. This is a bad thing? However, the "MacGuffin" that he's come up with for Crystal Skull is either going to be really cool, or really bad.

I loved reading Lucas talk about the difference between Indiana Jones & Han Solo, and why Ford was so perfect for both. I don't know how you can read this and still be so cynical about the guy.
I'm not quite sure why you quoted me in reference to "taking Darabont's side."

I agree with just about everything you said, though I'll stand by the belief that Lucas is much better at the big picture and the results are best when others are left to the details. If I recall the bonus disc to the Indy dvd set correctly, Lucas had a larger hand in the story & script for Temple than he did for Raiders or Crusade (or was it that he was less reigned in by Speilberg on that one? i forget). Lo and behold, Temple is by far the weakest of the three. And no need to mention the Star Wars prequels in detail... And yes, while he does sound very erudite commenting on the layers in the films and the nuances that make them great over other films, that doesn't translate into his ability to write dialogue, nor the gorgeously stale performances he's managed to direct.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #191
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
I'll take saccharine endings (A.I., Schindler's, Private Ryan) over complete messes (Episodes I and II).

That's just like, your opinion, man.

You're also comparing three serious dramas against popcorn films. But when the final moments of a film misstep so badly, it leaves a much worse taste in my mouth, as opposed to a clunky film that picks up steam as it goes along and finishes strong. Despite the overload of cross-cutting between four separate story streams in Phantom, Lucas still knows how deliver a big time third act. I don't feel a need to defend the same in Clones, as it probably has the most entertaining one of the whole saga. Arena battle-->Clones/Jedi vs. Droid full-scale war-->Dooku vs. Anakin/Obi-Wan/Yoda is just non-stop action bliss.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #192
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

That's just like, your opinion, man.

You're also comparing three serious dramas against popcorn films. But when the final moments of a film misstep so badly, it leaves a much worse taste in my mouth, as opposed to a clunky film that picks up steam as it goes along and finishes strong. Despite the overload of cross-cutting between four separate story streams in Phantom, Lucas still knows how deliver a big time third act. I don't feel a need to defend the same in Clones, as it probably has the most entertaining one of the whole saga. Arena battle-->Clones/Jedi vs. Droid full-scale war-->Dooku vs. Anakin/Obi-Wan/Yoda is just non-stop action bliss.
But when I don't care about what happens at that point, then why should I even watch it, you know?

You win for using a Lebowski quote though.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:29 PM   #193
Blue Crack Supplier

You should care. Because Ewan McGregor owns your sorry ass.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #194
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

YOU WERE MY BROTHER, ANAKIN!

I LOVED YOU!
Old 01-03-2008, 12:00 AM   #195
Blue Crack Supplier

I really, really, hope you're not mocking the emotional high point of all 6 films.

Tags
indiana jones