Inception

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Imperor

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I didn't see it at midnight tonight, and my plans to see it tomorrow fell through. But since we probably all plan on seeing this, it warrants its own thread for reflection and discussion.

Have at it.

Ellen Page is one of the five best really famous lesbian Ellens in show business.

I'm seeing this on Sunday.

To be honest, I was wondering why it took you so long to spring that.

In a related story, I recently changed my character to the exact model of Fletch Hillard and my title to Deputized. We need to get that co-op shit going soon.

Out of the first 153 critics on the Tomatometer, 65 of them give the film a perfect score. Many of those are from critics and bloggers who posted their Inception review last week, and began building it up as a masterpiece.

After reading through those reviews, they would make any critic who gives a less-than-perfect score sound disappointed. Sixty-five critics appear that way, as 31 give out a score just below perfect, and 34 say it is merely good. Meanwhile, 23 of them just say that it is a bad movie.

This Inception review breakdown divides those who flat-out love the movie, and those who merely like it - along with those completely underwhelmed. Since the film is expected to save the summer, and save originality in Hollywood, there is a lot at stake in how it is received. Most critics still suggest audiences should go see it, but they have differing views on what expectations they should have.

Some say they should go in expecting a classic film, or even a revolutionary one. But, others warn in their Inception review that inflated hopes will make the movie seem worse, and more of a letdown. The rest flat out say that Christopher Nolan is conning us, and that the emperor has no clothes.

trying to keep my expectations in check

My offices are just across the center from the largest screen west of the Mississippi, or I could drive up the road to the new discount multi-plex and see it for $6 on a smaller screen

listening to a discussion
here are some remarks

"movie is too thin to support the length"

"ellen page is weak, disappears into the background"

I will see it

I am just trying to balance expectations

I am a big fan of Leo's recent work, since he has grown into a fully fleshed out man, from that (too) pretty boy kid in The Beach

I really couldn't stand Page after Juno and the Cisco Systems commercials, but she's very good here. The cast really doesn't have a weak link. Tom Hardy (for those who haven't seen him before) is a revelation. D-Cap doesn't hit Shutter Island-level but of course that may be his best work, period. Cotillard is fantastic.

Some of the dialogue is a little stiff, but considering the subject matter exposition is unavoidable. Luckily, Levitt and D-Cap deliver it as well as possible.

I don't want to get deep into anything, but let me just say that as a feat of narrative juggling this may be without peer. the middle hour and a half is essentially one big sequence and the tension doesn't let up one bit throughout. Crowd was going crazy, clapping at various times (the movie has some great humorous bits), and a big response at the end, which is one of the best I've seen in quite a while.

Most of the 10 people I was with were ready to go right back and see it again. This has a lot in more common with Synecdoche, New York than I first thought (not that anyone's going to put that in the ads). Kaufman obviously has the more moving and denser script, but thematically they're not too far from each other.

Also, FYI, the Scott Pilgrim trailer was roundly booed (except for some loser next to me who was squealing in front of his girlfriend) and people were yelling out insults afterwards. Just sayin'.

I might have to go see this - it's playing on the big screen of my friendly local neighborhood cinema.

I'm seeing this on Sunday.

Change of plans. Leaving now to hit up the 3:50 showing. Catch this cute little mindfuck popcorn movie and get back just in time to watch my baseball team go for its second double digit win streak of the summer. Life is good.

RIP Heath.

Just got back. Unbelievable. It's one of the coolest, most imaginative stories I've ever heard. I'm dying to see it again.

All the totem stuff is really going to hit Dalton emotionally.

There needs to be a website, just one of those big sound effect buttons for instant tubasynth.

ok

I am at the BIG screen theater

20 minutes to go

last time I was here was for Indy 4
they applauded at the end of that

Just got back. This movie was one big mindfuck...I LOVED it.

Not for a stupid audience, that's for sure.

There needs to be a website, just one of those big sound effect buttons for instant tubasynth.

I'm totally making that sound my ringtone, even though Zimmer's music was one of my least favorite elements of the movie, barring the music at the conclusion and the contributions of Johnny Marr on guitar.

I have to say though, if you simply pay attention undistracted for the entire film it isn't hard to follow, mores than TDK and of course mores than pretty much every blockbuster, but not to as bigger of a mental WTF than a number of indie mind fuck movies over the years, what I guess you could say is that it leaves the audience with a satisfyingly concluded, tied up mind fuck. Barring the slight ambiguity of the final shot.

I have to say though, if you simply pay attention undistracted for the entire film it isn't hard to follow, mores than TDK and of course mores than pretty much every blockbuster, but not to as bigger of a mental WTF than a number of indie mind fuck movies over the years, what I guess you could say is that it leaves the audience with a satisfyingly concluded, tied up mind fuck. Barring the slight ambiguity of the final shot.

...what I guess you could say is that it leaves the audience with a satisfyingly concluded, tied up mind fuck.
THIS

I had no problem keeping everything straight, I actually enjoyed the experience of learning the ins and outs of a totally new...what would you call it....concept? technology?...that Nolan created. Ellen Page's character helps you along with that...

You think you've got everything figured out...UNTIL THE LAST SHOT...the entire theater let out a long, collective “Oh”…there were a couple of “WHATS?” and “NOOOOOO!”s thrown in there as well. But here’s how I interpreted the ending (It's a little out there, bear with me):

The ending of the movie planted the idea that it was all fake in our heads... basically, INCEPTION------------------like Cobb did to his wife!

In conclusion:
EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF THIS LITTLE MOVIE WATCHING COMMUNITY HAS AN OBLIGATION TO SEE THIS PIECE OF PURE CINEMATIC GOLD SO WE CAN HAVE AN EPIC PARTY POST AND PHILOSOPHIZE ABOUT THE AMAZING MINDFUCK IT WAS. THIS IS YOUR HOMEWORK, YOU HAVE ONE WEEK BITCHES.

THIS

I had no problem keeping everything straight, I actually enjoyed the experience of learning the ins and outs of a totally new...what would you call it....concept? technology?...that Nolan created. Ellen Page's character helps you along with that...

Fully agreed, :hi5:. Oh and I choose to believe that everything worked out in the end, but I do like your theory, and it isn't too out there.

Fully agreed, :hi5:. Oh and I choose to believe that everything worked out in the end, but I do like your theory, and it isn't too out there.

But the kids were wearing the same clothes in that scene...

Gunna have to watch again, maybe there will be some hidden clues in the airport scene...but I doubt it

Maybe Leo just spun that top so fast it just kept going for a while *shurg*

Back
Top Bottom