Inception

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But seriously though, if you guys are sick of talking about it, thats cool. I'm just fascinated by it right now and it all seems to fit together so nicely.

I honestly was a lot more gung-ho to discuss/debate right after my 2nd viewing...I've lost a bit of momentum since then.

This thread is for this film. If anyone does not want to discuss it, they probably should go post in some other thread. I'm sure something equally useless is going on in FYM or elsewhere in the Lemonade Stand.

You guys should see the room I've constructed to work on my theory

beautiful_mind_3.JPG

Looks like TEAM DREAM lost a little more footing. Here's a snippet from an interview with costume designer Jeffrey Kurland:

COF: How much does costume reflect the inner machinations of the plot, particularly in a film such as Inception? For example, Cobb’s children are wearing the same clothes at the end of the story as they are in his dream ‘memory’ throughout the film. Is there something to be interpreted here?

JK: Costume design reflects greatly on the movement of the plot, most significantly through character development. Character development is at the forefront of costume design. The characters move the story along and with the director and the actor the costume designer helps to set the film’s emotional tone in a visual way. In a more physical sense the costumes’ style and color help to keep the story on track, keeping a check on time and place.

On to the second part of your question, the children’s clothing is different in the final scene… look again…

Loved the film but felt a little disapointed in a few places, especially with the ellen page character, but whatever.

I loved the ending, I believe he was in his real life because if he was still dreaming, and his wife was in the real world, would she not be doing everything she can to wake him up with water, dropping etc? In the dream it said the drugs were the strongest ever, so obviously he can't be under even stronger drugs especially if he went down to the lowest level for all that time.

Eh *scratches head* its a thinker alright!

I mean, if you're gonna steal from something, you might as well steal from the best:

25fruol.jpg

Fucking Nolan...

I saw it again last night and

I maintain that the mechanics of the film allow for Cobb and Mal to still be in a dream when they kill themselves in limbo. I still not saying its what happened, but the rules of the world allow for it, so its not completely retarded... but if that is what happened, then I'm not sure of the significance on the whole inception plot, so that might render that point moot.

Other than that, I will also reiterate that the music at the end in the airport if fucking awesome. Its got such a sense of closure and triumph; perfect note to end the film on.
I also thoroughly enjoyed it the second time through

Other than that, I will also reiterate that the music at the end in the airport if fucking awesome. Its got such a sense of closure and triumph; perfect note to end the film on.

This this this

It differed so much from the rest of the score until that point, and it had the potential to be and epic fail...but it worked SO WELL.

I saw it again last night and

I maintain that the mechanics of the film allow for Cobb and Mal to still be in a dream when they kill themselves in limbo. I still not saying its what happened, but the rules of the world allow for it, so its not completely retarded... but if that is what happened, then I'm not sure of the significance on the whole inception plot, so that might render that point moot.

It was reminiscent of the Moby track at the end of Heat, for me at least.

Also:

OK so I went a second time with a different friend today, and while I thought I followed it perfectly well the first time, there were a couple things that clicked that I guess I missed the first time around from just the sheer fun of discovery. One problem I have though, how the heck do they 'load' the levels they 'build' into their mark's dreams?? OK, 2 problems actually, why should Seito be old if he went down to limbo after Cobb??

I do have to give props to Hans Zimmer (or rather the team he takes sole credit for, and Johnny Marr) for not being nearly as derivative as he typically is. Kind of turn around for him with this and Sherlock Holmes in 1 year. Previously I really only liked his Gladiator score, bits and pieces of his work on the Robert Langdon and POTC movies, and his work with James Newton Howard on Batman Begins.

Color me shocked that Ducktalesgate isn't getting more pub in this thread.

One problem I have though, how the heck do they 'load' the levels they 'build' into their mark's dreams??

They aren't going into the mark's dream, they're going into one of the extractors' dreams and having the mark fill it with their subconscious. In effect, they're tricking the mark into thinking it's their dream, when really it's not. There's no need to load anything. The extractor only needs to memorize the map from the architect

OK, 2 problems actually, why should Seito be old if he went down to limbo after Cobb??

Saito technically didnt go into limbo after Cobb. Its a little bit difficult to follow, but the limbo Cobb and Ariadne went into isn't the same Limbo that Cobb and Saito found themselves in. I'm sure some people will disagree, but think of it like this:
-Saito gets shot in level 1. Even though the wound is apparent in the other levels, the effects are most serious in level 1
-Cobb and Ariadne enter limbo from level 3
-At some point in level 1 Saito dies and ends up in Limbo (level 1 minus 1)
-It's not till Cobbs' sleeping level 1 body drowns in the van (after missing the kick), that he's taken from the level 3 minus 1 limbo and enters the same limbo as Saito.

OK, I understand that they have the dreamer to dream it, but in level 3 they were in Fischer's subconscious weren't they? Why not have the dreamer and architect be one in the same during operations? You couldn't teach as many details to someone else as the architect thought up.

Re: Seito, he didn't die until the snow fortress which was level 3, after Cobb and Ariadne go after Fischer... Right?

OK, I understand that they have the dreamer to dream it, but in level 3 they were in Fischer's subconscious weren't they? Why not have the dreamer and architect be one in the same during operations? You couldn't teach as many details to someone else as the architect thought up.

No, they were in Eames' dream in the snow fortress filled with Fischer's subconscious.
They used to have Cobb as the architect, but since Mal will know the details of the map if he is and sabotage everything, he cant do it anymore. The architect needs to have a solid background in architecture to make it believable, so that rules out Arthur and the others, so they have to bring in a 3rd party

Re: Seito, he didn't die until the snow fortress which was level 3, after Cobb and Ariadne go after Fischer... Right?

The effects of the gunshot were apparent on the snow fortress (and the hotel for that matter), but since he was actually shot in level one, that's where the effects are the most serious. He 'ceased to be' so to speak in level 3 because he had died in level 1. If his body is dead in one, he cant be experiencing the dream in level 2, which follows he cant be experiencing the dream in level 3.

OK, it was Eames? I thought they were in Fischer's because it was his projection of his uncle, not Eames' impersonation. And, if you say so about Seito, that kind of thinking isn't made clear in the film's exposition. I'll be seeing it again anyway. Funny, I guess in the sheer thrill of the first viewing I never bothered to think about these things. :D

We went and saw this one day when it was 90 degrees INside our house and we couldn't take it anymore. I didn't really know what to expect but I liked it well enough. The main thing that bothered me was the obsession with the wife. I just wanted to scream, come on get over it and move on!!! Way to sappy for me, so it was a tad disappointing that it sort of drove the entire plot.

OK, it was Eames? I thought they were in Fischer's because it was his projection of his uncle, not Eames' impersonation. And, if you say so about Seito, that kind of thinking isn't made clear in the film's exposition. I'll be seeing it again anyway. Funny, I guess in the sheer thrill of the first viewing I never bothered to think about these things. :D

I dont remember Browning being in the ice fortress scenes at all. He was in the hotel scenes, but Cobb only told Fischer he was going into Browning's subconscious so that he'd play along with them.

OK, here's where that confusion comes from, right before that Seito sees the projection of Browning in the lobby, and Eames tells him they should observe the projection, and then right after that it shows 'Browning' come to the hotel room, so there's no clear indication which one it is at that moment, and it is that Browning whose mind they enter.

Back
Top Bottom