Inception

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's one of the few films that my dad and I agree on liking, which is pretty cool. If our tastes were a Venn Diagram, then the middle would be pretty slim.

After reading the thread, I have very little to say that hasn't already been said. Them's the breaks for waiting to see it. Here are random observations:
Let's get the ending out of the way first: everyone's obsessing about the clothes, but the faces were the much bigger deal. He couldn't recall the faces in his memory. Not only that, but the totem wobbled. It never wobbled when he was dreaming. It's totally real.

I found the part where they demonstrated how kicks work by knocking JGL out of his chair repeatedly very funny.

I think my least favorite part of the movie is when they get to the second level and JGL tells Page that "he tends to do things he says you shouldn't do," as if that was news. It had already been explicitly stated about a half dozen times before that, mostly by Page herself.

The fact that that's my least favorite part probably says a lot. I enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure this is the first movie I've seen in theaters since The Dark Knight.

The film my Dad and I both equally love is actually Clockwork. He almost made me cry, though, last time I was home when he told me about the two boring films he'd watched recently, those being The New World and The Assassination of Jesse James by GAF.

Dad. :(

I now believe that Cobb probs wasn't dreaming, his wedding ring was is totem not Mal's top. He wasn't wearing it in the final scene, which means he wasn't in a dream

I havent seen it for a second time yet, but my girlfriend did and said that you cant see his left hand in the final scene. She said it was driving her nuts trying to see it because its one of the things she was consciously paying attention to the second time around

Let's get the ending out of the way first: everyone's obsessing about the clothes, but the faces were the much bigger deal. He couldn't recall the faces in his memory. Not only that, but the totem wobbled. It never wobbled when he was dreaming. It's totally real.
But if it's his dream, he can place whatever parametres on his totem that he consciously or subconsciously sees fit. The totems only let you know if you're in someone else's dream

Come back to reality, JT.

Ya, well my totem tells me otherwise

350__1_product_803.jpg

You know what I thought was funny in a "okay, come on now, they only did that because it'll look cool in slo-mo" way?

In the opening sequence, Cobb's "kick" sends him backward into a bathtub full of water. He only needs to fall, he doesn't need to fall into water? It looked cool, but after the rest of the movie, I came back to that and decided they just did it because it looked cool.

There was a distinct lack of tangerine in Michael Caine's scenes.

They're holding their tangerine load for Batman 3. Shit's gonna be in IMAX.

Also, the whole movie's a dream, and it's the first time that I can recall that it's not a complete cop-out.

Also, the whole movie's a dream, and it's the first time that I can recall that it's not a complete cop-out.

I've read that theory. Interesting. I think the most telling scene is the one in Mombasa; Very dream-like. Havent decided if I'm fully on board, but if that's the case, I'd somehow find it very satisfying

So, if the whole movie's a dream, is Dom still banging Mal when he wakes up? Because that moves my feelings from sympathy to green with jealous rage pretty quickly.

I've read that theory. Interesting. I think the most telling scene is the one in Mombasa; Very dream-like. Havent decided if I'm fully on board, but if that's the case, I'd somehow find it very satisfying

It makes the most sense to me, considering the ways that certain characters act more as elements of the subconscious as opposed to more complex ones. On top of that, Cobb's refusal to accept his own reality while at the same time trying to dictate orders to everyone clinches it. The scene with Michael Caine early on and nearly every moment with Marion Cotillard kind of solidify that for me.

I planned on seeing it again tonight, but an impromptu production meeting quashed that. Lady Friend and I are disappoint.

I get it, you know it's the real one because there's a baby mouse hiding in the end of yours?

Luckily, it's wrong.

I don't know if it's "right" or "wrong", but I do know that I do disagree with it. However, if I were wrong I wouldn't mind it being because the other theory was true.

I don't know if it's "right" or "wrong", but I do know that I do disagree with it. However, if I were wrong I wouldn't mind it being because the other theory was true.

It is wrong. The "evidence" to suggest it is fan wankery and totally circumstantial. On the other hand, you have the FACT that the top audibly wobbles at the end, the FACT that he is wearing a ring in every dream sequence but no ring is seen at the end, and the FACT that the cast lists four actors who play the children at TWO DIFFERENT FUCKING AGES, 9 and 11.

Anyone who thinks it's a dream is either stubborn or delusional.

It is wrong. The "evidence" to suggest it is fan wankery and totally circumstantial. On the other hand, you have the FACT that the top audibly wobbles at the end, the FACT that he is wearing a ring in every dream sequence but no ring is seen at the end, and the FACT that the cast lists four actors who play the children at TWO DIFFERENT FUCKING AGES, 9 and 11.

Anyone who thinks it's a dream is either stubborn or delusional.

But if it's his dream, it doesnt matter what happens to the top. He knows how its supposed to react, so whether it topples or not is irrelevant. Think about it. If Arthur has a dream and his die lands on the right side, it doesnt mean anything. He's supposed to know what side it lands on. The totem only tells you if you're in someone else's dream who doesnt know the specifics of your totem
And I mentioned the wedding ring thing a few posts back. I'll have to see it for myself, but my gf swears you cant see it in the final scene.
And the kids at the end were definitely the kids in his memories. I think it's the kids voices during the phone conversation that are played by the older actors.
I'm not saying that the theory is completely sound, but those pieces of evidence don't discount it

It's so clearly designed to be ambiguous and meant to provoke this very discussion that it's asinine to be so stubbornly defensive of one interpretation or the other.

Back
Top Bottom