Inception

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know you meant vintage Brando :)

Not sure what "vintage" means since his best performance (and the greatest ever filmed by anyone) in Last Tango in Paris, and his most iconic performance in The Godfather were both from 1972. But even after that you have these varied and masterful pieces of acting:

The Formula
The Missouri Breaks
Apocalypse Now
A Dry White Season
The Freshman
Don Juan DeMarco (a mundane role where he still manages to steal every scene from a showboating Johnny Depp, and while reading his lines off cue cards, no less)
The Island of Dr. Moreau
The Score

None of these are alike, all are nuanced and captivating.

Wait, so

...if Neo returns to the source, all the humans will die and Zion will be destroyed, but he can select a small group to rebuilt afterwords, is that how it works?

The Departed is a better Leo film

and The Dark Knight is a better Nolan film

so with that, your expectations can be put in their proper place

While this may be true..it's still a pretty awesome film

Click:
131955923.jpg

Saw it last night and liked it a lot. As mentioned earlier, it was nice to see a movie that is smart but still felt like a fun summer blockbuster. Not that I have anything against the fun summer blockbuster sometimes! But this covered a lot of bases that make a good movie :up: Leo and most of the cast were excellent. And the end scene was great. I also don't believe it was meant to be open ended at all. We all knew it was going down... the cut was just a fun "kick" for the audience. :D Loved it.

:lol: hahahaha, This is what I get for quickly typing a long message on a touch screen without looking back at it before clicking post. :doh:.

'auctioneer thigh' was supposed to say ' actioner though'.

Corrected:
From an emotionalm standpoint I would put it on par with TDK and BB, but I would rank Memento and Insomnia higher there, it is far and away his most accomplished actioner though, and the best direction of an ensemble (although most of this cast can make the most if even the lamest if material). That said it is definitely his most entertaining film to date

Well as far as the direction of an ensemble is concerned, I have to disagree again. I thought Nolan got career-best work out of Jackman, managed to prevent Johansson and Perabo from embarrassing themselves, and Rebecca Hall put in what is easily the best performance by a woman in any of his films. Caine was also very, very good, as was Bale.

And of course, THE BOW!

Yeah, I don't get what people were looking for with that one. They felt the ending was a cop-out, when the groundwork for what happens was clearly laid out and shown to the viewer over the course of the film. And it's a fucking story ABOUT trickery. I think it's his most tragic work, and belongs on any shortlist of great films about obsession.

Really looking forward to watching it again, because each time I think you pick up more of the seeds that were dropped from the beginning. It's a very crafty screenplay.

I'm assuming you haven't read the book? I'm wondering if it's worth looking into.

Also curious about that Hugo Cabret book that Scorsese's adapting now.

I have to admit that I didn't even realize that there was a book. I am always reluctant to read a book after seeing a film, but I might check it out.

I've seen the film three times now and found that I enjoyed it even more after knowing the twists, etc. Whereas, with Memento, I liked it a lot less upon repeated viewings.

Insomnia, though, I still love very much, if for nothing else than the mood/vibe permeating the film.

I have to revisit Insomnia. I had seen the original first and didn't care much for Nolan's remake.

Easily his worst film for me, though I know many would say Batman Begins.

I also need to see Following.

I've yet to see Following.

I like Batman Begins but I do think it's his weakest. But, if you saw Insomnia and disliked it I doubt that a repeated viewing will help. It's not like time or distance or life experiences are going to color your view. I could be wrong obviously but it just does not strike me as a film that rewards multiple viewings, despite how much I like it.

It's pretty obvious that I'm a big Nolan fan, despite his flaws/shortcomings. I simply enjoy everything he's done on some level and always look forward to what he does next. Hopefully, the next Batman film will wrap things up in grand fashion.

Did you ever see the original Insomnia? THE GAARD! is very good in it.

Also, Nolan wasn't under contract to do another Batman. I don't think he would haev bothered unless he really had somewhere to go with the character/story, so I'm pretty optimistic.

The loss of Ledger is a shame w/r/t how they would have used The Joker in part 3 (I doubt he was meant to be a one-film villain), but hopefully there's still somewhere for them to go.

Saw it tonight and loved it. I'll post more tomorrow as I'm about to go to sleep, but I have a question about Cobb's totem

JGL's totem makes sense since only he knows the way the die is loaded. But Cobb's wouldn't really tell him whether he's in a reality or not as it could be easily faked. The top only stops spinning in the real world, but what would stop someone from creating an imaginary top in a dream world that does the same thing? They wouldnt even have to know much about it as it's just common physics. There isnt really a secret to his top like there is to JGL's loaded die. Am I missing something?

Did you ever see the original Insomnia? THE GAARD! is very good in it.

Also, Nolan wasn't under contract to do another Batman. I don't think he would haev bothered unless he really had somewhere to go with the character/story, so I'm pretty optimistic.

The loss of Ledger is a shame w/r/t how they would have used The Joker in part 3 (I doubt he was meant to be a one-film villain), but hopefully there's still somewhere for them to go.

I'm pretty optimistic as well, and it would have been great to have Ledger reappear, absolutely. I look forward to casting news as pre-prod ramps up soon. I just don't want any Depp bullshit going on is all. Nolan seems like he'd steer the fuck clear of that, though.

That book does look kind of cool. I'm kneed deep in the books of Olen Steinhauer right now but can add this to my list for sure.

I'm not sure Dalton is going to like his holy iconography being appropriated to entertain the white masses, nor will the rest of his ilk.

The Nolans may not even make it to production on Batman 3:

Attack_on_a_Wagon_Train_1902.jpg

The Prestige is my favorite of the Nolan movies I've seen. I think it has the best rewatch value. I've liked it more and more with each viewing. At this point, I just love it.

Maybe I will like Inception more after another watch? I'm sure I will see it again at some point down the road.

And, although I'm not much of a fan of his two Batman movies (aside from Heath), I am definitely looking forward to # 3. That thing is going to be a fucking event. Especially if they make some exciting casting choices. Like, if they are going to go for it and introduce Catwoman into this next one - the casting of that role might make or break the whole thing. I pray the right choice is made.

Back
Top Bottom