Inception

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DeVito's Penguin goes farther than silly entertainment and I'd go as far as to say that he provides the emotional center of the film; that's the fundamental flaw with Burton's set, but at least Returns positions all of the villains to serve as foils to the different personas of Bruce Wayne. Plus, it's as transformative a performance as Ledger's, which most people seem to gloss over.

I sincerely doubt that I'll ever enjoy a villain's portrayal in this genre more than Ledger's. I still find his scenes mesmerizing.

Agreed on the Cox > Hopkins comment.

Absolutely.

Laz has been championing Cox > Hopkins for a while. After seeing Manhunter twice, I'd agree as well.

I am usually on the same wavelength as you, Basterd, but I have trouble agreeing about the Penguin. I agree with some of what you're saying, but when I've rewatched the film I've found myself annoyed with him sometimes, most noticeably when he's controlling the Batmobile for a little while. Maybe it's a function of some of his lines, I don't know, but that scene makes me cringe, and not in the intended way.

I will agree, though, that he goes much farther overall than silly entertainment and is not strictly some ridiculous 2-dimensional bad guy.

I'd agree with that. The biggest fault of Returns is the Waters/Burton script and how it tries to incorporate some of the tongue-in-cheek humor and campiness of the '60s series and mesh it with the expressionistic and more somber tone inherent to the story.

pheww

I am going to see it on Tuesday night and I want to layoff all reviews and comments (Yet, I'm still here looking at the thread) to try to keep it on the DL with the expectations

The Departed is a better Leo film

and The Dark Knight is a better Nolan film

so with that, your expectations can be put in their proper place

This is Nolan's best film from an artistic standpoint and if you want to apply the auteur theory over it, too.

Anytime you can be the arbiter of taste and expectations is a great time, Deep.

I just watched Memento (most of it) on cable last week

I saw it at the theater when it first came out, liked it a lot

I think about it sometimes,
well, when I watched it again, it was a little different, still very good. I guess I had some false memories, you don't want me picking out someone in a line up.

Memento is different, in that it is a small film with a small budget and great execution.

I do think Inception is very good, probably about an 8 to 8.5 for me.

There are four films playing now with a 150-160 million budget, this is the best one.

From an emotionalm standpoint I would put it on par with TDK and BB, but I would rank Memento and Insomnia higher there, it is far and away his most accomplished auctioneer thigh, and the best direction of an ensemble (although most of thismcast can make the most if even the lamest if material). That said it is definitely his most entertaining film to date.

Laz has been championing Cox > Hopkins for a while. After seeing Manhunter twice, I'd agree as well.

Yay! I love this board, I honestly expected that preference to be incendiary, as it usually is. Laz, you prefer Cox' performance as well??

pheww

I am going to see it on Tuesday night and I want to layoff all reviews and comments (Yet, I'm still here looking at the thread) to try to keep it on the DL with the expectations

I won't give anything away, but it's another good one. Christopher Nolan has a hell of a winning streak going. I don't know if it's my favorite of his films, but I could easily see plenty of people saying it's theirs.

1. I'm planning on seeing Inception again in a couple days, and I'm also showing The Prestige this week to friends. For now I'm ranking The latter as Nolan's best work (as well as Wally Pfister's), but we'll see how I feel after those viewings.

2. Cox >>>> Hopkins. I'm not a fan of the mannered hamminess of Hopkins and I find Cox scarier. But I find Ledger's perf as joker to be more like Cox than Hopkins; it's a pretty naturalistic, albeit showy inhabitation of the character IMO, and I feel that Ledger was operating on a near-Brando level in TDK. With all due respect to DeVito and Pfeiffer, both possibly the best they e ever been, they're not even in the same ballpark as what Ledger pulled off.

3. Cut a hole in the box.

1. I'm planning on seeing Inception again in a couple days, and I'm also showing The Prestige this week to friends. For now I'm ranking The latter as Nolan's best work (as well as Wally Pfister's), but we'll see how I feel after those viewings.

2. Cox >>>> Hopkins. I'm not a fan of the mannered hamminess of Hopkins and I find Cox scarier. But I find Ledger's perf as joker to be more like Cox than Hopkins; it's a pretty naturalistic, albeit showy inhabitation of the character IMO, and I feel that Ledger was operating on a near-Brando level in TDK. With all due respect to DeVito and Pfeiffer, both possibly the best they e ever been, they're not even in the same ballpark as what Ledger pulled off.

3. Cut a hole in the box.

Oooh, lookee here, Laz and I are more or less in 100% agreement.

Can no one help me with the questions from my post? :(

when someone dies on a regular dream level, they run the risk off falling into Limbo. Once you're in Limbo, dying will wake you up. So Watanabe reaching for the gun was likely to shoot DiCaprio and then himself

Careful . . . that can either be tremendous praise or a harsh putdown. :D

Comparing someone with the greatest actor who ever lived, and who was a chameleon believable as every character he played, was definitely meant as a compliment to Ledger.

when someone dies on a regular dream level, they run the risk off falling into Limbo. Once you're in Limbo, dying will wake you up. So Watanabe reaching for the gun was likely to shoot DiCaprio and then himself

Wasn't it the case that dying generally wakes you up in any level, but the extreme sedatives were what made dying leading to limbo possible? Weren't Cobb and Mal using those sorts of sedatives when they spent all that time in limbo? At least that's what I got from it.

Wasn't it the case that dying generally wakes you up in any level, but the extreme sedatives were what made dying leading to limbo possible? Weren't Cobb and Mal using those sorts of sedatives when they spent all that time in limbo? At least that's what I got from it.

It seems to me like you're the EGGSPERT, Mark.

Once you're in Limbo, dying will wake you up.

Oh, okay! I totally missed that plot point in the movie. Thanks!

Weren't Cobb and Mal using those sorts of sedatives when they spent all that time in limbo? At least that's what I got from it.

Huh. Good question.

Did they just stay asleep that long because no one was there to give them a "kick"? Did they ever say how long they were asleep, while decades had passed in the dream? I don't remember them saying anything about sedatives. But it must not have been very long - they had a life and kids in the real world, so it's not like they could just check out for that long.

Although they probably did mention the sedatives in relation to them, and I just forgot or missed it.

Back
Top Bottom