Inception - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #61
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Good to read. I had the same shit-eating grin on my face as well for most of the second half.

Sorry, GAF. THE CLICK! has spoken. Your only hope now is that you'll have Lance for company on the neg side.
So, I have read people say this was Hitchcockian or Kurbirckian, but, to me, if anything, this was what would happen if Philip K Dick gave an idea to Michael Mann and Mann wrote a screenplay and then sent it to Ian Fleming for a subtle amount of editing. Am I far off there?

Old 07-17-2010, 09:51 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:18 AM
I still think it's a pretty sophisticated and daring film structurally, and even thematically, even if it doesn't frequently succeed in the latter regard. But yeah not the time nor the place so fuck off, me.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
So, I have read people say this was Hitchcockian or Kurbirckian, but, to me, if anything, this was what would happen if Philip K Dick gave an idea to Michael Mann and Mann wrote a screenplay and then sent it to Ian Fleming for a subtle amount of editing. Am I far off there?
I was promised James Bond meets The Matrix! If it's not exactly that, I'm going to be furious.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #64
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
I was promised James Bond meets The Matrix! If it's not exactly that, I'm going to be furious.
When you inevitably leave the theater disappointed, muttering to yourself "Christopher Nolan makes ugly films and that was not some Neo-meets 007 shit" please at least take the time to vent your anger by kicking a Twilight fan in the sternum.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #65
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I still think it's a pretty sophisticated and daring film structurally, and even thematically, even if it doesn't frequently succeed in the latter regard.
I'll give you that. And there were cool individual scenes But it didn't work on its own as a story (which I feel even sequels should) and the ending was eye-rollingly dumb (the "dum-dum-DUM!!" musical cue). It could have partially been salvaged with a part 3 that retroactively made it stronger, which we all know didn't come close to happening.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #66
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
There's actually nods to both the new and old Bond aesthetic, which is kind of cool. One could argue there's a little Bourne Identity in there as wiell.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
There's actually nods to both the new and old Bond aesthetic, which is kind of cool. One could argue there's a little Bourne Identity in there as wiell.
Which is why I mentioned Ian Fleming, Lance.

Now fuck off.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Something about snowmobiles and shit, right? Does it have Telly Savalas? Oh no wait, those were bobsleds.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #69
ONE
love, blood, life

I love the action in Matrix Reloaded, but all the talking did was create a convoluted mess if the entire series, however I did enjoy the new characters, and I thought Revolutions actually managed to recover a decent conclusion. The battle on the freeway is hands down my favorite action sequence of the decade, possibly ever.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:01 AM   #70
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
That's how I felt, too. Hell, the biggest surprise for me was how well the action was staged, easily the weakest parts of Nolan's Batman films. Not that it was significantly better, but they were all coherent enough to follow and enjoy, particularly the snow sequences.

Anyway, I was amazed at the narrative juggling, like Laz mentioned earlier, and the insane amount of tension present throughout. Even with the crazy amount of exposition necessary to establish this universe, I never felt condescended or felt the need to facepalm at any given time. The clunkiness is apparent in the dialogue, but DiCap and Co. were able to sell it, even Cisco Page, who I had a lot of trepidation about coming into this. Give it up to Shinzon and Scarecrow for their series of ass-kicking character moments, too.

Inception pretty much epitomizes what I want to see in major Hollywood filmmaking: emotional and visceral satisfaction and the sense that there was some risk taken in its execution. The cynic in me thinks this'll just be a blip on the studio radar, but I hope this is a turning point for maintaining some sort of artistic integrity in blockbuster filmmaking. In short, eat it, Jerry Bruckheimer.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:08 AM   #71
Blue Crack Supplier

I think you're going to be seeing more Avatars than Inceptions. And it's kind of already happening.

As I said before (maybe not here), it's hard to call it a game-changer because I don't think many filmmakers can even play this kind of game.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:12 AM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

I'd wager there are a few filmmakers who could play the Nolan blockbuster game, but I doubt studios are ever going to give any of them the money.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #73
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I think you're going to be seeing more Avatars than Inceptions. And it's kind of already happening.

As I said before (maybe not here), it's hard to call it a game-changer because I don't think many filmmakers can even play this kind of game.
Nolan certainly had to pull a "one for me, one for them" switcheroo to get this off of a ground, but how is this any different than what Cameron did for Avatar? Both followed up incredibly successful films with a passion project that had extravagant budgets and almost total creative control.

I don't think we'll be seeing these sorts of deals on the scale of what Cameron and Nolan had to work with, but something more akin to the Peter Jackson-backed, modestly budgeted District 9 could appear more often than not in the near future. The Spielberg/Abrams joint coming out next year can maybe be another example.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

60 Million opening weekend...not bad Inception, not bad

This is from a recent MTV article about the final scene:
Quote:
Dileep Rao offered further insight, advising viewers to pay attention to the scene in an unusual way. "You know what, I'll just say this: Use your ears not your eyes."
So people say u...erm..."hear something" when the screen goes black
Old 07-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

One thing this one solidified for me: Cillian Murphy is underrated. He's great just about every time I've ever seen him on screen. It wasn't his fault Red Eye was garbage.