Inception - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post

It's been pointed out that the kids look exactly like they have in his dreams, but I'd argue that (a) it's not stated how long he's been away from them, and that (b) we could be seeing them from his subjective standpoint, which I don't think is a cheat at all.

Is Lance seeing this over the weekend?
Should be seeing it Tuesday once I get some time off.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:54 PM
The Matrix was fun but totally derivative and pretty fucking empty in the thematics/intelligence department.

Not even close to this film.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #48
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 12:54 AM
My attempting to kill two birds with one stone backfired. It was my friend's birthday yesterday. Thinking he'd want to go see this, I said, "Let's catch a movie tomorrow, your pick, my treat for the b-day". I'll be seeing Predators tonight....

Luckily I have other friends with better taste, and I'll be seeing it tomorrow.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well, this one doesn't hold up any better to ten seconds of genuine scrutiny. Enjoyed it a good deal more than The Matrix, though. Some of the issues that GAF discussed are very similar to issues which sink the fuck out of The Matrix, on subsequent viewings, and this one'll likely be no different. That "boring" stretch he discussed, regardless of how much I personally enjoyed it, is going to feel interminable, in a few years. Just like The Matrix.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Can't agree on the "boring" part--I can't remember the last time I've been that sucked in for that long. I thought the tension was modulated just about perfectly.

As for the shots of the van, you know the guy's trying to juggle

FOUR different levels of reality
, so I don't blame him for those cutaways to remind us of the time differential. There's talking down to your audience and then there's making sure ALL the people know what's going on, and I don't think it was a case of the former.

Also, when I say "mindfuck", I don't know what your criteria is, but when someone is doing that aforementioned plate-spinning trick I consider it a pretty big deal.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Diff'rent strokes, I guess. But I'm with you--thought it was too telegraphed, but was nevertheless totally engrossed.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier

Well, one IMAX screen, not one but TWO flat tires inside of a canyon, two hours for AAA to find me and a two hour wait at the tire place later, I'm back from Inception.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

Jew like?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

How about all those little homoerotic moments between Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Tom Hardy's characters?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #55
Blue Crack Supplier

I wouldn't mind seeing 500 days of that summer.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

It was not quite what I expected, after skimming some initial reactions/reviews, but I quite enjoyed it.

Obviously, things like this are subjective but I don't really understand anyone finding the aforementioned stretch boring, now or upon subsequent viewings. I found myself enjoying it more and more, and was openly grinning at one point just due to the sheer balancing act of it all.

I thought there wasn't a weak performance in the bunch, but, I did feel like Page was a little out of her league here. She wasn't grating as she usually is, but she just doesn't have the chops to hang with some of the actors she was on screen with. Didn't hurt the film for me, just kind of an obvious circumstance. Marion Cotillard's English, thankfully, keeps improving. She's a notch up from Page, and, apropos of nothing I'll say that she is disarmingly and distractingly gorgeous.

Also, it's interesting to see Leo kind of shed, and I mean this from a physical perspective, whatever is left of his youthfulness. I'm a big fan of his and have been for a while but he always seemed almost too youthful for some of his roles, but I think that's done between this and Shutter Island.

Hardy, as you said, Laz, was fantastic, but there's another cat I've liked in the few things I've seen him in so this was not surprising. There was more Ken Watanabe than I expected, and less Caine, but that was fine.

So, anyway, yeah, I really liked it, but as I was telling your son it was a can't miss for me. I like Nolan a lot, I like the cast, I like explorations of the mind, even as done by Hollywood, and I fucking LOVE heist films so, really, this was in my wheelhouse. Toss in that balancing act that kept raising the stakes and the tension and you've entertained the shit out of me for 2.5 hours.

Looking forward to seeing it again.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:54 AM
Is this probably the worst possible time to reiterate how much I adore The Matrix Reloaded?

Probably.

Carry on.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
It was not quite what I expected, after skimming some initial reactions/reviews, but I quite enjoyed it.

Obviously, things like this are subjective but I don't really understand anyone finding the aforementioned stretch boring, now or upon subsequent viewings. I found myself enjoying it more and more, and was openly grinning at one point just due to the sheer balancing act of it all.

I thought there wasn't a weak performance in the bunch, but, I did feel like Page was a little out of her league here. She wasn't grating as she usually is, but she just doesn't have the chops to hang with some of the actors she was on screen with. Didn't hurt the film for me, just kind of an obvious circumstance. Marion Cotillard's English, thankfully, keeps improving. She's a notch up from Page, and, apropos of nothing I'll say that she is disarmingly and distractingly gorgeous.

Also, it's interesting to see Leo kind of shed, and I mean this from a physical perspective, whatever is left of his youthfulness. I'm a big fan of his and have been for a while but he always seemed almost too youthful for some of his roles, but I think that's done between this and Shutter Island.

Hardy, as you said, Laz, was fantastic, but there's another cat I've liked in the few things I've seen him in so this was not surprising. There was more Ken Watanabe than I expected, and less Caine, but that was fine.

So, anyway, yeah, I really liked it, but as I was telling your son it was a can't miss for me. I like Nolan a lot, I like the cast, I like explorations of the mind, even as done by Hollywood, and I fucking LOVE heist films so, really, this was in my wheelhouse. Toss in that balancing act that kept raising the stakes and the tension and you've entertained the shit out of me for 2.5 hours.

Looking forward to seeing it again.

Good to read. I had the same shit-eating grin on my face as well for most of the second half.

Sorry, GAF. THE CLICK! has spoken. Your only hope now is that you'll have Lance for company on the neg side.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #59
Blue Crack Supplier

You know I'm with you on that film.......but as you know, I simply look at it as an action film and not a lot more....and on those merits, for me, it kicks ass, especially during the last hour or so.

But this is the worst possible time to mention that, Lance, so shut the fuck up.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #60
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Is this probably the worst possible time to reiterate how much I adore The Matrix Reloaded?

Probably.

Carry on.
Let me be as clear as possible here: