Inception

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
then right after that it shows 'Browning' come to the hotel room

And Eames enters the room about 10 seconds later (I missed it the first time too, so I paid extra attention the second time around). It's Fischer's projection of Browning, but Cobb clearly states that they're tricking Fischer into thinking it's Browning's subconscious so that he'll 'join the team' or something along those lines. It's definitely Eames' dream

Gotcha, again it didn't bother me the first time so I wasn't paying super close attention to that moment the 2nd time, but I definitely will next time, thanks!

What a great film. Even though I'm not a fan of certain decisions, script-wise - like the "test" scene for Ellen's Page character, for example - in the end it doesn't really matter 'cause once again Christopher Nolan did what I've always envisioned for blockbusters. And anyway, it is a great film on its own, a piece of work that can entertain and keep your mind working and thinkin' about its subject matter a longe time after you've finished watching it.

Saw the film today. Overall, I really enjoyed it and will definitely see it again.

- I must say I only really started to get into the film once it dug deeper into the relationship and history of Cobb and his wife. Until then, my reaction was, yeah it's cool imagery and action and stuff, but why should I care about any of this.

- I somehow managed to completely miss the bit about the significance of the top spinning/falling, and only became aware of it when reading the discussions about the film :doh: So the significance of the last shot was lost on me at the time, and I just turned to my friend and said, thank god the filmmakers didn't do "guess what this was all a dream!" at the very last moment, how tiresome would that be. I'm still firmly in the ending-is-reality camp though, if only because I really dislike the idea of the main character's journey being rendered meaningless just so that the film can pull one last trick on the audience.

- On the other hand, as one of the reviews noted, "this was all a dream" would probably be a good explanation for why, apart from Cobb and maybe Mal, all the other characters are basically blanks with no development whatsoever. Also, while I like Ellen Page a lot, I felt somehow that she was out of place in this particular film.

- The snowy dream was probably the least interesting of all.

- Loved the score; it's an amusing coincidence that Non Je Ne Regrette Rien was used heavily in a film starring an actress who played Edith Piaf in another movie :)

I think saying it was all a dream as an excuse for not developing the other characters is a completely cop-out joke. I think the top is there to mess with people one last time, but it is definitely wavering. A friend of mine had an interesting theory, that everything from when Cobb plugs into the chemist's dream is the rest of the crew performing inception on him to rid him of his guilt, interesting, but I didn't buy it. The ending is real to me.

Also, I totally dug Ellen Page in this, and not just because I've been a fan since Hard Candy, I think she did a good job in the role that is there to relate to the audience and strive to understand the people she's working with, Cobb in particular obviously.

I think saying it was all a dream as an excuse for not developing the other characters is a completely cop-out joke. I think the top is there to mess with people one last time, but it is definitely wavering. A friend of mine had an interesting theory, that everything from when Cobb plugs into the chemist's dream is the rest of the crew performing inception on him to rid him of his guilt, interesting, but I didn't buy it. The ending is real to me.

Yeah, I'm more with the one last mess theory. However, I also believe that the last scene is there to make us get the message of the film too, 'cause in the end this is a purely human story. My thought is that after we see this scene we may wonder how much we would prefer to live in a happy dream to the tragedy of reality. From the "dream addicts" to May and (goddamnit, I can't remember Ellen Page's character's name), it all points to this. What if Cobb succumbed to this? His happiness is real, but is his life too? Anyway, I would have to write better than this so it doesn't sound like a crappy thought, but it's what I think.

Ariadne (who led Theseus out of the labyrinth), but I like your point for the most part.

S8kJ8.jpg

After nine viewings of the film, endless discussions with friends and families and members of Nolanfans.com, I have finally formulated a response to the film and all the questions that it initially drew, and has drawn from these endless debates.

The basic and simple debate is whether the ending was real or the ending was a dream. Arguments can be made on both sides ranging anywhere from the spinning top, to Cobb’s children, to the ring and many other ‘facts’ or ‘proofs’. One thing is certain that we all can agree on: the answer isn’t clear in the final scene, though may lean towards one answer depending on the facts or proofs you use.

Other great and amazing discussions have been raised about the whole movie being a dream, whose dream are we really in during the third stage, did Miles have Ariadne do inception on Cobb. It’s also led to consistency questions such as depending on whose dream we are in for the third stage (which by the way it's Eames' dream with Fischer's subconscious - you can be in someone's dream but have someone else as the subject/subconscious, it's why the dream collapsed at the beginning of the film - they were in Arthur's mind. When he died the dream collapsed), why would the projections be attacking one person, or not be attacking one person, and confusion with the kicks, and Saito’s limbo.

And there is also the idea that Nolan was doing inception on the audience, as he was trying to plant an idea into our heads.

I think one thing can be for sure – there is a correlation between the film and inception being done on the viewers. Cobb says to Ariadne, “There’s one thing you should know about me, and know about inception: an idea is like a virus, it is highly contagious. It can grow to define you or grow to destroy you.”

There are two lines in the film that are said that I view are very strong. Both are said by Eames. “If we are gonna perform inception, we need imagination.” The second line (paraphrased), “How about ‘my father didn’t want me to follow him in his footsteps but to create for myself’.”

These play very important lines that support my idea of Nolan attempting to perform inception on the audience. The idea that he wanted to plant was the film itself. Cobb says that ideas are contagious and grow, while Eames states that in order to do inception, you need imagination and not to follow but to create for yourself.

In order for the team to succeed at inception with Fischer, he needed to have imagination, which like every other human, he does. The idea that was planted was the cathartic notion of Maurice Fischer didn’t want his son to follow in his steps, but rather live his own life the way he wanted. That idea would grow and change differently for Robert, than if the inception happened to someone else. Robert will respond differently to that idea than someone else, is basically what I’m saying. It’ll have the same result – dissolve the corporation, but the creativity and emotional aspect will be different from person to person.

In order for Nolan to complete inception, the audience needs to have imagination, and every one of us does. And the brilliant thing about imaginations is that no two are exactly alike, because an idea, even planted by someone else, will grow and create into something uniquely different from each and every other person.

That being said, I do not believe there is a clear answer to the simple question of whether Cobb was in reality or in a dream at the end of the film. Nor do I feel that Nolan had an answer to the other questions regarding Ariadne performing inception on Cobb, and the other multitude of questions that Inception has raised.

Inception was performed on us: plant the story and idea of the film in our minds. The audience has imagination, and Nolan wants us to use that imagination to create our own formulation of Inception. Whatever our opinions are based on our imagination and creativity to the questions for the film, we all arrive at the same point –

Inception is a film that makes you think, and that allows the audience to be individuals with their imaginations and create for themselves. Whether you think the end was real, or the end was a dream, or Ariadne performed inception on Cobb, every one of those answers are right because we are thinking them with our imagination.

To successfully pull off inception, you need imagination.

^9? So...did u spend close 2 100 dollars on the movie already?

Close to $350. The AMC near me you can do a "Cinema Suite" which is a $25 ticket which includes a $15 meal voucher in plush, recliner seats with alcohol and wait staff.

I also purchased tickets for some people as well.

After nine viewings of the film, endless discussions with friends and families and members of Nolanfans.com, I have finally formulated a response to the film and all the questions that it initially drew, and has drawn from these endless debates.

The basic and simple debate is whether the ending was real or the ending was a dream. Arguments can be made on both sides ranging anywhere from the spinning top, to Cobb’s children, to the ring and many other ‘facts’ or ‘proofs’. One thing is certain that we all can agree on: the answer isn’t clear in the final scene, though may lean towards one answer depending on the facts or proofs you use.

Other great and amazing discussions have been raised about the whole movie being a dream, whose dream are we really in during the third stage, did Miles have Ariadne do inception on Cobb. It’s also led to consistency questions such as depending on whose dream we are in for the third stage (which by the way it's Eames' dream with Fischer's subconscious - you can be in someone's dream but have someone else as the subject/subconscious, it's why the dream collapsed at the beginning of the film - they were in Arthur's mind. When he died the dream collapsed), why would the projections be attacking one person, or not be attacking one person, and confusion with the kicks, and Saito’s limbo.

And there is also the idea that Nolan was doing inception on the audience, as he was trying to plant an idea into our heads.

I think one thing can be for sure – there is a correlation between the film and inception being done on the viewers. Cobb says to Ariadne, “There’s one thing you should know about me, and know about inception: an idea is like a virus, it is highly contagious. It can grow to define you or grow to destroy you.”

There are two lines in the film that are said that I view are very strong. Both are said by Eames. “If we are gonna perform inception, we need imagination.” The second line (paraphrased), “How about ‘my father didn’t want me to follow him in his footsteps but to create for myself’.”

These play very important lines that support my idea of Nolan attempting to perform inception on the audience. The idea that he wanted to plant was the film itself. Cobb says that ideas are contagious and grow, while Eames states that in order to do inception, you need imagination and not to follow but to create for yourself.

In order for the team to succeed at inception with Fischer, he needed to have imagination, which like every other human, he does. The idea that was planted was the cathartic notion of Maurice Fischer didn’t want his son to follow in his steps, but rather live his own life the way he wanted. That idea would grow and change differently for Robert, than if the inception happened to someone else. Robert will respond differently to that idea than someone else, is basically what I’m saying. It’ll have the same result – dissolve the corporation, but the creativity and emotional aspect will be different from person to person.

In order for Nolan to complete inception, the audience needs to have imagination, and every one of us does. And the brilliant thing about imaginations is that no two are exactly alike, because an idea, even planted by someone else, will grow and create into something uniquely different from each and every other person.

That being said, I do not believe there is a clear answer to the simple question of whether Cobb was in reality or in a dream at the end of the film. Nor do I feel that Nolan had an answer to the other questions regarding Ariadne performing inception on Cobb, and the other multitude of questions that Inception has raised.

Inception was performed on us: plant the story and idea of the film in our minds. The audience has imagination, and Nolan wants us to use that imagination to create our own formulation of Inception. Whatever our opinions are based on our imagination and creativity to the questions for the film, we all arrive at the same point –

Inception is a film that makes you think, and that allows the audience to be individuals with their imaginations and create for themselves. Whether you think the end was real, or the end was a dream, or Ariadne performed inception on Cobb, every one of those answers are right because we are thinking them with our imagination.

To successfully pull off inception, you need imagination.

Very impressive, you have some great insights here.

This film has so many different textures. I am sure with a few move viewings you will uncover more nuggets.

I hate the fact that I can't think of Ed Rooney as anything but a CP aficionado, but here we are.

Back
Top Bottom