Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2010, 03:58 AM   #301
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Well, I agree with what you say, JT, but that's balanced out a bit by a shit-ton of exposition as the film progresses. Not saying that I had major issues with that, and in some respects a lot of it is necessary....but, a lot of the dialogue is dedicated to explaining the mechanics of how dream extraction and inception work, etc.

As a more global statement, I'll say that I do always like when a book or film drops you into its world and does not immediately explain every single thing....I like when events unfold, be it slowly or otherwise, and you begin to fill in some or all of the blanks of the world you're thrust into. And I guess that sort of points to why I always have and likely always like the sci-fi/fantasy genres, because they are both rife for world building/exploring.

/deigning to address JT
Fear is the mind-killer.

Page 19, by the way.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:03 AM   #302
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Fear is the mind-killer.

Page 19, by the way.
For real?

Old 07-24-2010, 04:15 AM   #303
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

The Baron, Feyd and Piter were introduced when I stopped. There'll be a lot of readin' on my 4-hour flight back home.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:16 AM   #304
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The Baron, Feyd and Piter were introduced when I stopped. There'll be a lot of readin' on my 4-hour flight back home.
Good god that'll be pretty good flyin' readin'.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:17 AM   #305
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

You best believe it.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:29 AM   #306
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Well, I agree with what you say, JT, but that's balanced out a bit by a shit-ton of exposition as the film progresses. Not saying that I had major issues with that, and in some respects a lot of it is necessary....but, a lot of the dialogue is dedicated to explaining the mechanics of how dream extraction and inception work, etc.
Indeed. Ariande seemed to function only as a means to give information to the audience. She could've easily been more experienced in the process like the rest of the team, but then we would've been in the dark about the mechanics of the dream world, so it didnt bother me a whole lot either. I dont see how they could've gone about it any differently. But a shit-ton of exposition, indeed.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:44 AM   #307
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Indeed. Ariande seemed to function only as a means to give information to the audience. She could've easily been a more experienced in the process like the rest of the team, but then we would've been in the dark about the mechanics of the dream world, so it didnt bother me a whole lot either. I dont see how they could've gone about it any differently. But a shit-ton of exposition, indeed.
Ariadne does have to suffer the load of being the audience by proxy, and the impression that I've gotten from reading reviews/thoughts is that she's almost purely reactionary, but at the same time, she does take an active role in trying to uncover Cobb's neuroses.

The exposition at the beginning I felt was necessary, absolutely. As the film and the mission progressed, the characters still kept railing off what they had to do instead of just doing it. By that point, the basic mission was clear enough and the visual dynamics were established to a point where the constant reminders of the stakes weren't necessary.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:55 AM   #308
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
As the film and the mission progressed, the characters still kept railing off what they had to do instead of just doing it. By that point, the basic mission was clear enough and the visual dynamics were established to a point where the constant reminders of the stakes weren't necessary.
hmm, I'll have to keep that in mind when watching it again. I dont recall it bothering me too much the first time through, but for much of the movie, I was so engrossed in the visuals, I probably let it slide. But if that's the case, its a shame they feel the need to hold our hand so much. I suppose that shows how little faith film makers, or at least studios, have in the intelligence of today's audiences (to some extent, I don't think they're wrong)
Old 07-24-2010, 05:07 AM   #309
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
hmm, I'll have to keep that in mind when watching it again. I dont recall it bothering me too much the first time through, but for much of the movie, I was so engrossed in the visuals, I probably let it slide. But if that's the case, its a shame they feel the need to hold our hand so much. I suppose that shows how little faith film makers, or at least studios, have in the intelligence of today's audiences (to some extent, I don't think they're wrong)
It didn't deter me from enjoying the film much either, but I was aware of it. I wonder how it'll affect future viewings, too. Maybe it was the best choice to keep a mass audience involved; I don't remember it being an issue in The Dark Knight though.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #310
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
We really have no idea how the dream machines work, where they came from, how long they've been around, etc. There isn't even a single mention about the technology. It's just accepted that they exist. Without them, there would be no movie, but beyond that, they really play no role
The IVs reminded me of hallucinogenic drug users.

From wikipedia on Ketamine:

"Users have reported intense hallucinations including visual hallucinations, perceptions of falling, fast and gradual movement and flying, 'seeing God', feeling connected to other users, objects and the cosmos, experiencing psychotic reactions, and shared hallucinations, and thoughts with adjacent users."
Old 07-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #311
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
And I guess that sort of points to why I always have and likely always like the sci-fi/fantasy genres, because they allow me to escape my pathetic, mundane life, and enter one where I can imagine myself as some kind of warrior king or intergalactic time agent.

Sounds like you have a pretty good sense of self there.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #312
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Sounds like you have a pretty good sense of self there.
Intergalactic time agent
Old 07-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #313
Refugee

I saw this movie opening night, and saw it yesterday afternoon with my parents and last night with my friends. I love it. I can't stop thinking about the film - the plot, the character development, the acting, the script, the music, the fight scene in the hotel, everything about it is amazing.

I haven't been this infatuated with a film since I saw Matrix 12 times in theaters.

One of my favorite of all time.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #314
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fan101 View Post
I can't stop thinking about the film
me either. kinda ironic, dont ya think?
Old 07-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #315
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:29 PM
I'm seeing it again tonight, very excited...

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fan101 View Post
I haven't been this infatuated with a film since I saw Matrix 12 times in theaters.
Woah