Inception - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #166
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Saw it tonight and loved it. I'll post more tomorrow as I'm about to go to sleep, but I have a question about Cobb's totem

JGL's totem makes sense since only he knows the way the die is loaded. But Cobb's wouldn't really tell him whether he's in a reality or not as it could be easily faked. The top only stops spinning in the real world, but what would stop someone from creating an imaginary top in a dream world that does the same thing? They wouldnt even have to know much about it as it's just common physics. There isnt really a secret to his top like there is to JGL's loaded die. Am I missing something?

I'm thinking he hasn't actually let anyone hold it, which seems to be the main thing here with all of them. The others don't really know how it feels in their hand, the weight, and texture, though I guess someone could take a pretty educated guess. JGL's did have an extra layer of security I guess as only he would know the outcome of a roll.

I've only seen the movie once though, and want to focus a little more on that next viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Well none of them know what his totem is supposed to do, right? Did he even tell Page how he recognizes it?
I thought he did, wasn't he telling her when we learned what it did? Again I'll have to see the movie again. But if he did tell her, could be just another one of the signs that he was getting sloppy and close to losing it.

I also started thinking that since the top was actually his wife's totem, and she would know it's properties better than anyone, is it possible that he could have even subconsciously made her manipulate the top so that it fell down in his dream. I mean his subconscious is what was making her do everything else to get him to stay too right? It's almost like he performed an inception on himself.

I might be thinking about it too much

Old 07-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #167
Blue Crack Supplier

YouTube - DORA THE EXPLORER in INCEPTION: Incepción Trailer

Old 07-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #168
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonhj View Post

I love Tom Hardy, wow, he was great and rawr, look at those sexy lips...
BB, YOU DON'T HAVE TO "SPOIL PROOF" THAT SHIT

Share it with the World!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:00 AM
Alright, the Dora the Explorer thing was great. And it'll satiate our resident tubasynth aficionados.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #170
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:00 AM
I love the internet:

Feels like The Dark Knight came out all over again!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #171
Blue Crack Supplier

I didn't find those funny at all.

Am I missing something?

Also, it's Dom Cobb. Not Tom. So, big FAIL right there.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #172
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonocomet View Post
I'm thinking he hasn't actually let anyone hold it, which seems to be the main thing here with all of them. The others don't really know how it feels in their hand, the weight, and texture, though I guess someone could take a pretty educated guess. JGL's did have an extra layer of security I guess as only he would know the outcome of a roll.

I've only seen the movie once though, and want to focus a little more on that next viewing.

I've been reading a lot of theories about the movie. There are some really awesome interpretations that really do make the movie more of a mind fuck. One in particular is that it was Cobb himself who was being incepted by Saito; A lot of the pieces seem to fit. I bring this up because he was the only other person in the movie that did touch Cobb's totem. Could also be a reason why he demanded to be present at the inception; because he was the one who was truly the architect of the dream. Next time you watch the film, watch it from that perspective and see if it makes sense. I know I will. Another thing that sort of fits the theory that the movie is not what it appears on the surface is the Ecsher stairs; Their cyclical nature is similar to the plotting of the film. It starts and ends in the same scene (well, almost). Perhaps Nolan is getting meta on us and implying that the film itself is an illusion, just like the stairs. I havent really put it all together, but it will make the second viewing that much more enjoyable
Old 07-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #173
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:00 AM
Well the Xzibit one was funny just because I like that particular meme. The other ones went over my head.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #174
ONE
love, blood, life

I'll also add that the editing of the film, even when they were supposed to be in the real world, was done in a way to mimic the random changes in environment where we arent really sure how anyone got there. This could've just been the style.. a sort of nod to the 'editing' in our dreams, or perhaps it could be a clue... I came up with that one myself because I'm awesome
Old 07-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #175
Blue Crack Supplier

All of the theories are interesting to read. But, I am sticking to thinking that everything was quite linear, that the job is pulled off and Cobb returns to his kids......that there is no mind fuck....and that's the mind fuck.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #176
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I didn't find those funny at all.

Am I missing something?

Also, it's Dom Cobb. Not Tom. So, big FAIL right there.
No, they're not funny (although I did chuckle at the first one, even though I have no idea what movie it's from).

It bugged me that Marion's character is named Mal. Yeah, I get it, "mal" is Latin for "evil." But how are we supposed to get that in the movie, when it's pronounced "Moll?" I assumed it was short for "Molly," so that went right over my head.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #177
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post

All of the theories are interesting to read. But, I am sticking to thinking that everything was quite linear, that the job is pulled off and Cobb returns to his kids......that there is no mind fuck....and that's the mind fuck.

but then why are his kids wearing the same clothes that they were in his memories?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #178
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
No, they're not funny (although I did chuckle at the first one, even though I have no idea what movie it's from).

It bugged me that Marion's character is named Mal. Yeah, I get it, "mal" is Latin for "evil." But how are we supposed to get that in the movie, when it's pronounced "Moll?" I assumed it was short for "Molly," so that went right over my head.
I guess because its not intrinsic to the plot. If you get it, awesome. If not, you arent missing anything. Same with Ariadne's name
Old 07-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #179
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

but then why are his kids wearing the same clothes that they were in his memories?

Because not everyone is as rich as you, JT. These are poor fucking kids who have to eat sand as a meal at least 3x a week. God, you're a fucking asshole.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #180
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post

Because not everyone is as rich as you, JT. These are poor fucking kids who have to eat sand as a meal at least 3x a week. God, you're a fucking asshole.

Is that why they were digging for worms?