Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #151
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Not sure what "vintage" means since his best performance (and the greatest ever filmed by anyone) in Last Tango in Paris, and his most iconic performance in The Godfather were both from 1972. But even after that you have these varied and masterful pieces of acting:

The Formula
The Missouri Breaks
Apocalypse Now
A Dry White Season
The Freshman
Don Juan DeMarco (a mundane role where he still manages to steal every scene from a showboating Johnny Depp, and while reading his lines off cue cards, no less)
The Island of Dr. Moreau
The Score

None of these are alike, all are nuanced and captivating.
Have to disagree with the last three on the list, especially Moreau. But to each their own.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #152
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Well as far as the direction of an ensemble is concerned, I have to disagree again. I thought Nolan got career-best work out of Jackman, managed to prevent Johansson and Perabo from embarrassing themselves, and Rebecca Hall put in what is easily the best performance by a woman in any of his films. Caine was also very, very good, as was Bale.

And of course, THE BOW!
In addition to coaxing performances with Inception I was talking about the sheer balancing acting of character interactions he reigned in as well, and it does have a larger amount of pivotal characters/performances than The Prestige. I don't agree with your negative attitude towards Scarlett Johansson, and I don't dislike the Prestige, other than the ending which wasn't so much a cop-out for me as it was a genre-switch.

I will admit Caine's performance in Thie Prstige was superior to his in Inception.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #153
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
I will admit Caine's performance in Thie Prstige was superior to his in Inception.
Agreed, but I believe he had more developed role and more screentime in The Prestige.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #154
ONE
love, blood, life

Also, re: Insomnia and Following. There's no doubt that Nolank exhibited evidence of potential as a unique filmmaker with Following, but I guess it just wasn't my kind of film, creepy and not in a 'I can't look away' kind of way like other films, so I have only watched it the once years ago. Maybe sometime I'll go back and revisit it. The Insomnia remake is quite strong, of course it has toned down Americanized violence compared with the original, but I think Nolan's atmosphere is more crushing and depressing, and while it would be hard to choose between Both incredible lead performances by Skaarsgard and Pacino (the last good theatrical movie he was in), the supporting performances in Nolan's wins for me. Necessary?? Probably not, but it is my favorite foreign remake, though I own both and enjoy both.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #155
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Move in Mysterious Ways View Post
Agreed, but I believe he had more developed role and more screentime in The Prestige.
I know, I was being very tongue-in-cheek with that comment.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:07 PM   #156
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I know, I was being very tongue-in-cheek with that comment.
Ah, ok
Old 07-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #157
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Move in Mysterious Ways View Post
Have to disagree with the last three on the list, especially Moreau. But to each their own.
I know they're not very popular performances. But I think his work in Moreau is batshit-crazy, and compulsively watchable. It's a distinct variation on the Kurtz-type character. The Score is a situation where he took a smaller, less-important role and added some flair to it. It's also worth considering that most of his performance was improvised.

As for DeMarco, this is a great overlooked piece of acting in somewhat of a trifle, probably his blandest role on paper. What I like about it is that Brando totally sells the conversion of his character, the chemistry between himself and Dunaway is playful and flirtatious (something not often portrayed with charactersrs at that age) and that final therapy scene between him and Depp cuts right to the heart. He looks like a mess and as I said before was probably reading every line off a cue card, but it's just effortless work that fees completely natural.

The scene in question starts at about 2:20 and runs less than a minute. But Brando's last line is the key to the entire story (which is really more about his character "waking up" than Depp's diagnosis/cure), a metaphor for the craft of acting, and delivered with absolute perfection:

YouTube - Don Juan DeMarco (Movie) Part 10 of 11

And here's some of that late career magic w/ Brando & Dunaway:

YouTube - Faye Dunaway and Marlon Brando Part 2

Quote:
In addition to coaxing performances with Inception I was talking about the sheer balancing acting of character interactions he reigned in as well, and it does have a larger amount of pivotal characters/performances than The Prestige. I don't agree with your negative attitude towards Scarlett Johansson, and I don't dislike the Prestige, other than the ending which wasn't so much a cop-out for me as it was a genre-switch.

Didn't mean to sound so harsh re: Johansson and Perabo. My point is that both actresses were American and in a Victorian-era setting, and weren't the first people you'd think of casting in that situation. I don't think either is bad, but those perfs easily could have gone very wrong. They both do a decent job, but don't add very much, especially compared to what Hall does in the film.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #158
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

In all fairness, a lot of my animosity toward Dr. Moreau was based on how disappointed I was with the movie overall. Brando really wasn't bad, and at least he had the distinction of being the most interesting character in the movie. Val Kilmer looked like he didn't care and David Thewlis was ok, but the performance came across as a bit confused and uneven.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #159
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh don't get me wrong, that movie is a complete mess. Although I think it's so ridiculous it should be a cult film by now. That little mini-Brando? Amazing.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #160
Blue Crack Supplier

I remember, about 1/2 way through that film, asking myself in my head "Am I feeling ok?".
Old 07-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #161
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:15 AM
Isn't that the little dude Pedro Martinez was carrying around in 2004?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #162
Blue Crack Supplier

It actually IS the same guy, oddly enough. Nelson de la Rosa was his name, and like Pedro hailed from the Dominican Republic.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #163
The Fly

Local Time: 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrARoundabout View Post
While this may be true..it's still a pretty awesome film

Click:

Bahaha!
I saw it on Friday. God I loved it. The theatre was sold out, and packed and I laughed at the people who came in at 10 minutes to the movie and were all mad about having to sit down front. Idiots.

The crowd was right into though and there were a lot of funny parts. We got the huge reaction and applause at the end too, I was clapping too. I do have to say

that I could have sworn the kids were way older on the phone when Cobb talked to them, did anyone else notice that? But then if the ending is not a dream then how come they never aged while he was gone?

I have to go see it again. I also enjoyed the really heavy score, the music really fit this movie, although

I heard one person said it was too industrial and she found it distracting. The climax of this movie had so many levels I really loved the complexity and how it made me feel anxious...can you imagine being in charge of continuity on this set? Good lord, that would have been incredibly hard.

I love movies that make you think. I hope we get more movies like this. No I take that back, I hope movie makers take the hint and realize we are craving new, innovative and creative movies like this one. I

found it refreshing although the snow scenes were a little to 007 reminscent for me, I totally noticed it and thought, hey don't we have this video game? I love Tom Hardy, wow, he was great and rawr, look at those sexy lips...
Old 07-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #164
ONE
love, blood, life

OK Laz, I thought you were just slagging off Johansson in general.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #165
Blue Crack Supplier

No, I thought she did a great job in her other big period piece The Girl With the Pearl Earring, and I thought she was hilarious in Scoop, where she nailed Woody Allen's style of humor.