How I Met Your Mother

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everything having to do with Barney was bizarre, illogical and badly paced. His characterization was disastrous. Seriously, did someone from another planet take over his dialogue? He doesn't seem remotely like a human being anymore. He was a raging asshole in the last episode too, for no justifiable reason. The writing for his character has unraveled quickly.

Absolutely. They invest so much into the Barney-Robin relationship - the ENTIRE fucking season took place over their wedding weekend - and then have it crumble so instantly (in writing terms). Just bizarre writing.

Do we really need to spoiler-tag stuff? Any reasonable person should expect not to come into this thread if they haven't watched it yet.

But in any case, because I am weak:

offscreen_zps6981b79a.png

I was just getting off of work when you posted that on Facebook. Thank you so much for the laugh that I desperately needed.

Her spinoff is going to suck ass though.

She's not getting a spinoff. Are you thinking of How I Met Your Dad starring the wonderful GRETA GERWIG? Because that's what's happening. It's not going to have anything to do with these characters, though.

Okay I'm finally watching the finale. I'm tipsy, but I realised two minutes in I can't handle this sober, so I'm making myself another drink. Will be back in an hour or so.

So I was gonna come in here and post the clip to The Cure cover of Boys Don't Cry at the end. That was the plan. Instead I've been crying for the last 15 minutes. That was such a long way from what I was expecting. And no, I didn't see it coming until the final scene, which is why I'm a mess. More tomorrow, but I've been with this show since the very beginning, it's the only show I've ever been with all the way, and that ending was the last thing I expected. Call me naive. Whatever.

Fuck.

I've never been so angry at a show and so happy with an ending at the same time, ever. This is going to take me some time to piece through.

Being realistic, I'd say this is the best response. I have to say that up until the last couple of minutes, I was watching the episode in complete bemusement at what was going on. Soooooooo much was invested into Barney and Robin and then it fell apart in literally, what, 30 seconds? a minute? And a lot was invested into the mother as well, and then she was suddenly killed off. If I'm being objective, the final minute papered over the rest of the episode by appealing to the bleeding hearts.

But I can't be objective, and I really did cry for a few minutes at that ending. Totally agree Ashley that it will take a while to piece through. Cristin Milioti was fucking brilliant as the mother, she was a great addition to the cast.

I still can't believe the writers wasted over 10 hours of show time on a wedding that they erased in one minute. Meanwhile, one of the most devastating moments in the entire run was over in seconds, all so that Ted could end up with Robin. They must think the viewers were all lobotomized at some point.

Half the season for the wedding, half for the aftermath. That's how it should have been.

Last edited:
Yes, I think I agree with that. But does anyone else in here feel the way I do about the final scene? It was really touching I thought, given Ted & Robin were the best couple the show ever had.

From what little I've read it seems like there's a couple alt endings floating around that will be on the DVD.

Have decided to binge watch it from the start all over again now I've got the s9 DVD. Will be posting random thoughts here and there.

A great moment so far: the Slutty Pumpkin episode, where Ted sees someone dressed as a penguin making a kahlua and root beer, and he's about to lose it he's so happy, then it turns out to be Barney hahaha

Back
Top Bottom