How I Met Your Mother

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been avoiding this thread like the plague ever since I started watching the show, but now that I've reached season 8, I don't see the point anymore. Apparently, I could have stepped in here at any point and not missed anything. I'm tired of Ted and the batch of women that have been recycled over and over since season 1. Not everyone he's ever locked eyes with in the past 8 years can be the one. In fact, none of them can. What a shitty character.

Otherwise, I'm still enjoying the show to an extent, but it's going to be garbage now that there's a baby in the mix. Where will the spontaneity come from? Barney was neutered seasons ago. I realize it's all about the journey and not the destination, but the journey is starting to feel like 40 years in the desert. I'm assuming that wasn't fun for anyone.

Wow - did anyone watch the most recent "hour"-long episode? I'd really like to talk about it - I think it was the best episode the show has put out in a very, very long time. It had the emotional pull to it that has been lacking since around season four or five. The twist made my draw drop, I seriously was not expecting it, and while it was totally unrealistic it immediately fixed all the issues I'd had with previous episodes for obvious reasons. I even got a little choked up in the final scene, which hasn't happened for a very long time.

It was pretty funny too - the jinx thing gave it some great levity, as did Seth Green and Sandy Rivers (and Sandy Cohen as an architecture professor). Seems like it's gotten great reviews too.

And if the series isn't picked up for another season, that means the final 10 or so episodes actually have the potential to be pretty great. Colour me cautiously excited.

Rachel Bilson is coming back, as is the first man who played Robin's dad (he was great).

Just realised too that after all this time, Barney the womaniser is officially over. Goodbye, old friend.

This episode was great. I'm so glad I'm finally caught up. Season 7 was just horrendous. 8 has been hit or miss, but definitely didn't feel as claustrophobic as season 7.

Here's what I want from the rest of this season:

• Barney and Robin actually get married and neither of them run out on the other, because I will be done with this show.
  • We actually see the mom.
I realize that the wedding is going to be the finale, that's fine. I just hope the episodes between now and then aren't so horribly painful. Not a ton of moping from Ted, or far too much preaching about love and over-thinking everything.

If they can just...survive this, then I think that season 9 could be great. Should be very reminiscent of the 1st and 2nd seasons, with Ted in a serious relationship that actually goes somewhere. They have to do another season of them getting married and some tied up loose ends of where everyone is. That's all I ask.

I can live with that.

I've watched so many shows that have done what HIMYM did. TV networks don't care about the plot, they don't care about the story. All they want to do is stretch it as far as they can go. This is what ruined Monk and Scrubs as well. Scrubs would've been fine with the length it went if they hadn't kept trying to put J.D. and Elliot together. Monk, on the other hand. I feel like there were entire seasons where they never even mentioned his search for his wife's murderer. By the time he actually finds out who did it and has closure, it had been about 12-16 years (I can't remember) after the murder actually occurred. That's...a little ridiculous.

Anyways, first 4.5 seasons of this show are a 5/5. Season 5 was where it started to jump the shark. Season 6 was when it got painful, when they introduced Barney's marriage and just stretched....everything....out. Horrible. I've already said season 7 was atrocious. Which leaves this show now sitting at about a 3.5/5.

I'll admit Ted has become a bit of a bore in recent seasons. The continual "that girl right there! She could be The One!" is cringeworthy.

I don't care at all that we don't know who the mother is, but yeah, here's hoping they find some good stuff to pad out episodes with.

I care, because it's detracting from the show. I can't enjoy a single episode of the show 100%, because there's almost always a moment of Ted going insane.

Who would marry Ted? He's clingy, and he's...really just super crazy, like, certifiable.

Which is a shame, and a direct result of the show going for so long. If it had ended after five seasons, say, everyone would still be on his side. But because we're now in the eighth year he looks less like a nice guy unlucky in love and more like a freak.

But I'm a suck so I'm still on his side. The baby plot has sucked for the most part but where else could the writers have taken Marshall and Lily?

"And to be honest, kids, I have no idea who your mother is. It was a closed adoption."

So, I'm just now getting to Monday's episode. My first new one, hurray!

And hey, by the first commercial break I've laughed like 4 times, this is great.

But, I don't know if I can handle Robin's sore throat for a whole episode. I hope Smulders was feeling better by the time they filmed the next.

I love Amanda Palmer's dad, so this is a great episode for that reason alone.

Yeah her voice was so husky, also hope she was feeling better.

Pretty decent episode... annoyed that they can't get the soap opera actor dude back for Robin's father, I think he's the third different actor they've used. The confetti euphemism was funny.

Quite liked the ending, too, up on the roof. And maybe, just maybe, we'll meet the mother at the end of this season, and nine she'll be in it the whole time.

Nope, the first time he appeared, in the season four episode where they're all at a restaurant and Stella arrives which makes them all hide under a table, he was played by Victor from Young and the Restless. He was much better, imo.

eric-braeden-how-i-met-your-mother.jpg

Yeah, I don't care for the new guy playing Robin's dad. Bring back Victor. :lol:

That episode was pretty shitty, excuse the pun. Although the moment on the roof between Lilly and Ted was nice. I'm just so over this show and the lame parenting gags that have been done a bazillion times on every other comedy on TV, and Ted's a douche canoe. But yet I still watch. :tsk:

Ted dating a younger woman was a good one, I don't recall them doing that before. And the winking and Barney's detoxing was funny. But the sister thing was a bit weird, considering it has literally never been brought up before (that I can remember) and that his half-brother has been in numerous episodes. The Marshall and Lily storyline sucked although the reversal at the end made me laugh.

That was actually a halfway decent episode (for the most part). It's been a while since this show has made me laugh.

And I totally agree about Barney's sister. I don't remember ever hearing about her before either. It's really random timing to mention her for the first time 8 seasons into the show, but whatever.

Thirded, they never mentioned Barney having a sister before, but whatever, episode was funny.

I'm pretty OK with this season.

Didn't John Lithgow (Barney's Dad) mention having a daughter that was away at college? Also, in his family pictures on the wall, you see him with his wife, son and teenage daughter. A theory has been that the mother is Barney's sister for a long time. But I'm pretty sure that's been debunked now.

Didn't John Lithgow (Barney's Dad) mention having a daughter that was away at college? Also, in his family pictures on the wall, you see him with his wife, son and teenage daughter. A theory has been that the mother is Barney's sister for a long time. But I'm pretty sure that's been debunked now.

I'm pretty sure that was the plan all along. But the creators didn't expect us to figure it out. So they changed shit up and threw in the last episode, which was pretty much meant to say 'look you were wrong! see!' That explains why it was so random.

Anyone see the most recent ep, where they were going to sell Barney's house? Thought it was great actually, a lot of laughs.

Never thought I'd get to this point but at the moment I'm enjoying HIMYM more than Community...

Nice callback to The Stinsons tonight with the Karate Kid stuff. Solid, if wayyy far-fetched episode that they didn't quite pull off.

"Who among us didn't shed a tear when the Terminator's little red eye went out and he didn't get to kill all those people? They didn't even help him!"

I think so. Although it's kinda disappointing that it's an actress that I'd never heard of until today. I guess it would have been harder to keep a bigger name a secret.

This whole season has been a big ole pile of MEH for me, so here's to hoping they finish the series well.

It's definitely her. Annoyed that I saw spoilers online beforehand, after eight years I'd really have liked to have seen that without any prior knowledge.

Sets up for a really good season nine, in my eyes... here's hoping they bring it home in a good way.

Hmm... what do you guys make of this? How I Met Your Mother Season 9 Plans: The Final Season Will Take Place Over One Weekend - IGN

I'm actually pretty optimistic about season nine. I thought season eight was okay, to be honest. Obviously the show lost its sparkle a long, long time ago (sometime during season four probably), but even in the bad times (the Zoey storyline *shudders*) there were still some good moments. I think if the writers can get it right, season nine might be pretty decent. 24 or 22 or whatever it is episodes over an entire weekend... interested to see how that will play out. Could be interesting or it could be insanely frustrating.

I think it's a horrible idea. Like the article said, I'm sure there will be flashbacks, but I don't like the sounds of an entire season just being 3 days long. We'll see, but when I heard about this, I groaned.

Back
Top Bottom