How I Met Your Mother

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ugh. That episode was just awful. The only thing that made me laugh/smile even a little bit was the 60-second summary. The rest was just tired old gags that have been done a million times before on other shows and are just not funny. At all.

I'll most likely still watch until the bitter end, because I seem incapable of not watching a show any more, especially since I've invested so many years into it already. :sigh:

Pretty ordinary. They used to really earn these moments like break-ups, things like that. Now it really does feel like they're racing. The pre-nup thing was too stupid to be funny, Marshall and Lily weren't interesting in the slightest, Robin has lost all her depth (saved only by the fact she's still so hot) and though Klaus moving in was obviously light-hearted it was such a retarded plot point - yeah, let's allow my ex-fiance to move in with us and walk around naked doing a crap German imitation - that I couldn't even muster half a giggle.

Barney getting shocked, the whistle and "I didn't put the bread in. You didn't put the bread in!" were the only moments I enjoyed.

I haven't watched the show much since the middle of last season (too much Chris Elliot, too much stalling on the mother reveal) but tuned in Monday just to check in. When all four couples were in the conference room I thought, first, there are way too many characters on the show now and, second, the show has spun too far from its core that I doubt it will be able to come back. I generally tune in for the finales of shows I watched but later gave up on when they became terrible (like "Friends" and "Will & Grace") but now don't think I will for "How I Met Your Mother."

I'll most likely still watch until the bitter end, because I seem incapable of not watching a show any more, especially since I've invested so many years into it already. :sigh:

I think I've successfully given up on this show. Have barely watched a minute of any re-runs since the season 7 finale. I certainly haven't watched any of season 8, however they are still getting downloaded because my wife watches it.

I just keep thinking how bad the finale was last year, usually does the trick ;)

okay, so it isn't just me who doesn't watch reruns anymore then? i have the opportunity, i own some of the older seasons, but it's just...eh. i need to put some distance between me and the show (god that sounds stupid) and i can go back to the older seasons, but the more recent seasons i don't think i can ever watch again. the show's premise has gone so far away from what it used to be and keeps getting worse just to try to milk more episodes.

i think that's the difference between himym and friends. friends had so many seasons just because everyone's stories kept developing, you had ross and rachel get together and break up, then later they had a baby. monica and chandler got together which no one expected, which led to an actual relationship, marriage, then struggling to conceieve, etc. this stuff takes up actual episodes and has substance. himym is just like "beers! omg barney you're marrying a stripper? beers!" when at this point given how old they all are, they probably should find a new hangout that isn't a fucking bar anymore.

i mean, the little preview they just showed tonight looked so lame. if you can't make 30 seconds' worth of a show look good, then you've got a problem.

himym is just like "beers! omg barney you're marrying a stripper? beers!" when at this point given how old they all are, they probably should find a new hangout that isn't a fucking bar anymore.

WORD. :hi5: I stopped hanging out at bars when I was 23/24-ish. I'm in my 30's, and could never have their kind of lifestyle at this age. :lol:

And I never watch reruns either. I have the first 4 seasons on DVD, but probably won't buy any past that. If I were to watch the first few seasons it would make me even more depressed about how crappy this show has become in the past few seasons.

The last time they did Robin Sparkles gave me probably the biggest laughs I've ever had watching this show, so I'll wait and see.

Most recent ep was again nothing more than okay. Ted and Robin's "whose relationship is better" was good when they first started debating but it got ordinary pretty quick. Thought the babysitter from Saint Cloud was funny.

Outside of that, ugh. Barney's storyline could have been written by any casual fan of the show, and it has been done many times better before on this show. He's already slept with an old lady. Funny the first few times, but not on this occasion.

The writers can't seem to do anything substantial with Lily and Marshall now they've got a kid. Marshall was my favourite character for a long while but he's being given nothing to work with.

And they spent so long establishing Lily's dad was a dick. I thought he might have been gone for good. Bringing in another nanny might have made for some really good storylines, maybe she could have hooked up with Ted or something. But Lily's dad is back and apparently amazing :shrug:

New best episode of the season. The Mosby Boys callback was inspired (douche/loser Ted is one of my favourite aspects of his character), Barney having a dog as a wingman was actually consistently funny I thought (what's that in dog years? ... we're done here), Marshall's advice at the bar was funny.

Whilst the important plot points were raced through unbelievably quickly - last episode he was debating with Robin about who had the better relationship and he went from paradise to on the rocks to marriage proposal to break-up in the space of 15 minutes in this one - it was good to see some closure, see Victoria off, and the ending was nice emotionally.

And if for nothing else, they do use really good music in this show.

The Swell Season - "Low Rising" - YouTube

I think that the ending was too predictable. The moment Robin received Ted's call, I knew he would in fact choose her instead of Victoria. Hell, I knew they would break up from the beginning actually, the moment I saw things getting strained between them. It's getting a bit frustrating actually, because we knew that Barney and Quinn would break up, we knew that Ted and Victoria would break up, and we know Robin and whatever his name is will break up. It's like we have to sit through a show knowing already the plot.

"Buffy" fans around the world just combusted:

A7ReWXtCQAI15c7.jpg

Barney's brodium and the LeBron aping was pretty funny (even if it's two and a half years out of date) but the past two episodes were just average. Not bad, but not great.

i think that's the difference between himym and friends. friends had so many seasons just because everyone's stories kept developing, you had ross and rachel get together and break up, then later they had a baby. monica and chandler got together which no one expected, which led to an actual relationship, marriage, then struggling to conceieve, etc. this stuff takes up actual episodes and has substance. himym is just like "beers! omg barney you're marrying a stripper? beers!" when at this point given how old they all are, they probably should find a new hangout that isn't a fucking bar anymore.

Marshall and Lily got together and broke up, then later had a baby. Robin and Barney got together which no one really expected. Marshall and Lily went through the struggle to conceive arc as well. :shrug:

I'll always like early HIMYM more than all of Friends but yeah, the later seasons of Friends weren't so frustratingly patchy.

Marshall and Lily got together and broke up, then later had a baby. Robin and Barney got together which no one really expected. Marshall and Lily went through the struggle to conceive arc as well. :shrug:

I'll always like early HIMYM more than all of Friends but yeah, the later seasons of Friends weren't so frustratingly patchy.
i meant that some of those stories on friends were happening at the same time. for example, rachel found out she was pregnant right when monica and chandler were getting married.

Well I thought there was a nice ending with Barney and Robin this week, and Brad's clipped use of words makes me laugh ("integ", "futch") but that was a pretty awful episode otherwise.

Past two episodes - older one had some funny moments, like Ted taking a video of himself trying to film Marvin, "Holden Crawlfield", but this Patrice thing is a complete wtf :huh:

The over-correction episode was one of the best for the season I felt. Marshall as a comedian was funny and Ted's loaning of stuff was funny as well.

Wow - did anyone watch the most recent "hour"-long episode? I'd really like to talk about it - I think it was the best episode the show has put out in a very, very long time. It had the emotional pull to it that has been lacking since around season four or five. The twist made my draw drop, I seriously was not expecting it, and while it was totally unrealistic it immediately fixed all the issues I'd had with previous episodes for obvious reasons. I even got a little choked up in the final scene, which hasn't happened for a very long time.

It was pretty funny too - the jinx thing gave it some great levity, as did Seth Green and Sandy Rivers (and Sandy Cohen as an architecture professor). Seems like it's gotten great reviews too.

And if the series isn't picked up for another season, that means the final 10 or so episodes actually have the potential to be pretty great. Colour me cautiously excited.

Rachel Bilson is coming back, as is the first man who played Robin's dad (he was great).

Just realised too that after all this time, Barney the womaniser is officially over. Goodbye, old friend.

I'm almost willing to call peace to the running feud I have with this show after your previous posts Danny. Perhaps I'll wait and see if this is the last season and then watch them all in one go.

STILL Haven't watched a millisecond of HIMYM since the last season ended :)

Wow - did anyone watch the most recent "hour"-long episode? I'd really like to talk about it - I think it was the best episode the show has put out in a very, very long time. It had the emotional pull to it that has been lacking since around season four or five. The twist made my draw drop, I seriously was not expecting it, and while it was totally unrealistic it immediately fixed all the issues I'd had with previous episodes for obvious reasons. I even got a little choked up in the final scene, which hasn't happened for a very long time.

It was pretty funny too - the jinx thing gave it some great levity, as did Seth Green and Sandy Rivers (and Sandy Cohen as an architecture professor). Seems like it's gotten great reviews too.

And if the series isn't picked up for another season, that means the final 10 or so episodes actually have the potential to be pretty great. Colour me cautiously excited.

Rachel Bilson is coming back, as is the first man who played Robin's dad (he was great).

Just realised too that after all this time, Barney the womaniser is officially over. Goodbye, old friend.
I loved this episode, and now that they're finally engaged we can move on to the wedding and meeting the mother. And then maybe the show can end (hopefully well). The episode just made me happy for the most part.

I'm almost willing to call peace to the running feud I have with this show after your previous posts Danny. Perhaps I'll wait and see if this is the last season and then watch them all in one go.

STILL Haven't watched a millisecond of HIMYM since the last season ended :)

You don't need to watch this whole season.

Looks like Season 9 is happening. It seems like the holdup was indeed, 100% about Jason Segel, who apparently had a last-second change-of-heart, and I guess after he agreed everyone else fell in line.

"How I Met Your Mother": Will it be back for another season? - CBS News

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/24/arts/television/how-i-met-your-mother-nears-an-extension.html

How I Met Your Mother Might Get a Ninth Season After All - News - TV.com

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/exc...d-show-was-given-up-for-dead-until-11th-hour/

Personally I think Season 9 is a bad idea. This is like when Season 9 of Friends was supposed to be the last(and the show had already gone on at least a year too long at that point) and halfway through that season they got the cast to agree to one more season.

I just don't think there is enough story left to tell. Marshall and Lily are happily married with a baby, Barney and Robin are engaged now, so unless Marshall and Lily all of a sudden start having problems(totally unlikely) or Barney freezes up at the alter and decides the womanizer isn't done after all(horrible, horrible, horrible idea), the only story left is Ted's, and I don't see how they're going to stretch that out over a season and a half.

What? How can they make another season? I was expecting them to end with this one. My first thought was it would be all about Ted dating the mother, but how can they make that last, especially after the reveal?

Maybe it could be about Robin and Barney adjsuting to married life, too. But yeah, there's not much else that's really important to tell.

Watching season four ep Old King Clancy, the one where Ted finds out Marshall and Barney were lying to him about the GNB architecture plans being scrapped.

It has a funny b-story (Robin's sex act with a celebrity) and some funny jokes (Marshall's fish list, Ted's four-pronged reaction to being fired) but the main story is so bad. Two good friends hiring a taskforce to pretend he still had a job? In what world is that okay? If you were Ted you'd never speak to them again. This was when HIMYM started to slip.

Back
Top Bottom