How I Met Your Mother

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At least Ross and Rachel were probably always going to end up together. Rachel didn't disappear for 4 seasons and then be bought back just for the sake of it either.

Ah well, see what season 8 brings I guess.

I'll still keep watching, but I've lost a lot of love and patience. I just want it to end already.

This is how I feel too.

I hate to say this - I truly mean that - but those were probably the two worst episodes the show has ever produced. Absolute garbage, and I say that as maybe the most one-eyed fan this show has.

The biggest concern I have is that this show has ruined its own legacy and will continue to do so. Like we all remember how amazing it was when Marshall and Lily got married at the end of season two. Them having a baby together should have elicited the same feelings. Instead, my only reaction was "thank god it's been born". HIMYM of old would have dealt with that brilliantly, but this was very poor. Friends cops plenty of criticism but at least when it did stuff like this it did in a way that pleased the fans. What if when Ted finally meets the mother, it's completely underwhelming? I can't deal with that. This show has always been there for me, and I need that moment to make tears well in my eyes.

Marshall has been the biggest supporter of his wife. Been through everything with her. Are we really supposed to believe that he would willingly get whisked away to Atlantic City, gamble, get blind drunk, turn off his phone and be stuck without a way home with his wife about to go in labour? Give me a break.

Lily's Dad has been shown time and time again to be awful character, so bringing him back was completely superfluous and aggravating. Added nothing. The stories they were telling Lily weren't that funny, save for the Breakfast Club one. The door joke didn't pay off.

And then we had the second half. Already we've immediately delved into unfunny jokes with the baby, a classic case of the way the writing has slipped in recent years. I did chuckle at "our first baby's outing was at a bar" and Ted and Barney's middle-aged Marv jokes, but that was it.

Barney and Quinn. An absolutely ridiculous scene at the airport. So much set up just so he could propose. And yet another example of how the show has lost its way - Barney was the womaniser for so long, and then he began falling for Robin and began changing. I welcomed it, and they wrote it really well for quite some time. Touching, entertaining and funny as well. But here, in this episode, we have BARNEY STINSON PROPOSING, and I felt nothing. So, so poor. I kinda like Quinn. She's cheeky, and she's hot. But this whole thing was so rushed and never really made sense. Redecorating Barney's apartment? I was almost sick.

Then we have Robin telling Ted he's wasted the last seven years of his dating life and tells him to call Victoria. I was okay with it - I seem to be one of the few who's always liked Victoria - until she walked in wearing a wedding dress. I was hoping it was going to be one of those multiple scenario things they've been doing - wedding dress, business suit, chef outfit, cowboy getup, whatever, but no, it was real. "1:30? I might have a thing later." What's the thing? "Oh well I'm getting married." I wanted to punch the laptop screen. Awful, awful idea.

Then I thought well, Ted's a good guy. Too good, sometimes, but still a good person. I've always liked that. So I was happy when he said he'd take her back to the wedding.

But then, in by far the worst moment in HIMYM history, "you just drove past the church" "I know" and then the final shot was them clasping hands in perfect position with the sunset. I wanted to stab my fucking eyeballs out. I've put up with Zoe, I've put up with Kevin, I've put up with a whole range of stupid storylines in the past few years, but that was just shocking. Friends would never, ever have done something as saccharine as that.

Then we cutback to the wedding and wouldn't you know it, Robin is the bride (and girls - wasn't her dress just terrible?). And in that moment, I despaired; not because Robin and Barney are getting married, I like that, but because it means I've got a whole 'nother season to sit through before we get somewhere, and it might not even be the last season.

Long post, I know, but I'm so upset that my favourite show ever has turned to crap. I've never had this feeling before.

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by season eight, and I'll be streaming every episode as it airs, but I'm not holding my breath.

:down::down::down:

Reading TV Line, it appears Ted turns the car around in the s8 premiere, which is good. But it also says they're going to introduce a new love interest for Robin, which is bad. It will "lead her" to Barney. Well, that should have happened ages ago. We all thought that was going to happen after Kevin.

Danny, your post is exactly what I thought of the final two episodes. They had so long to write a decent ending to this season with all the breaks ect and it was like someone wrote possibly the worst 45 minutes of Television ever (I've never watched Desperate Housewives, so I could be wrong)

It was just terrible. I mean the first episode was okay. "Wait for it" totally was the best part. The first episode was good. baby is born, okay. Now SURELY WE MEET THE MOTHER!? And out of nowhere Robin mentions Victoria (why not anyone else Ted had dated over the past 7 seasons.) And they would just end up happily ever after, c'mon.....

I hope Ted turns around, I've never really liked the idea of Ted and Victoria together. I just hope he turns out to be Gay in season 8, and Marshall leaves Lilly, they take the baby, have another together.

"Kids did I ever tell you that you don't technically have a mother?"

*END SEASON 8*

I know it shouldn't just be about answering the question of who the mother is - it's about the journey, not the destination. Okay, fine.

But the journey isn't fun anymore, it's tiresome. And they keep the who's the mother carrot dangling, with all sorts of hints and season-long dangles (the wedding), and we're supposed to remember what they said three seasons ago ... I couldn't even remember what they'd said about this wedding at the START of the season.

I saw someone comment on a review saying they only way to save the show would be to drop the premise and just give us funny half hours with the characters. I like that.

I'm not as fussed about the mother as most others seem to be. But I am annoyed that a once great show has become a shadow of its former self.

Yeah. And it's not like they have to end the show with the big reveal. Get it over with, and then keep going with funny half hours about the characters.

Because nobody fucking likes Ted anyway, so having him meet the mother wouldn't hurt anything.

I know it shouldn't just be about answering the question of who the mother is - it's about the journey, not the destination. Okay, fine.

But the journey isn't fun anymore, it's tiresome. And they keep the who's the mother carrot dangling, with all sorts of hints and season-long dangles (the wedding), and we're supposed to remember what they said three seasons ago ... I couldn't even remember what they'd said about this wedding at the START of the season.
exactly. i still remember seeing promos for it in the summer before it premiered and thinking it looked interesting. obviously what initially interested me was finding out who the mother was, but i knew there would be more to it than that.

like you said, now the journey is tiresome. the first few seasons were great. it's not like at the end of every episode i was screaming "BUT WHO'S THE MOTHER?!?!" or anything. if it's interesting enough you appreciate and enjoy the journey, even it's long and you realise the people taking you there are purposely taking detour after detour to make it as long as possible. but now, instead of stopping at some cool museum on the way there, i'm looking at the world's largest tumbleweed and i'd rather just get to where we're supposed to be.

Yeah. And it's not like they have to end the show with the big reveal. Get it over with, and then keep going with funny half hours about the characters.

Because nobody fucking likes Ted anyway, so having him meet the mother wouldn't hurt anything.
exactly. there's so many shows where we all knew the endgame would be some couple hooking up or whatever, but they always managed to milk another season (sometimes more) out of it.

and yeah, ted's a bit of a douche. in some episodes you don't really notice it, but god.

omg. did he watch the same episodes? i mean. i'm flabbergasted. a nine??

it flowed naturally? how? it felt like two episodes shown back-to-back. granted, that's what it was, but it didn't even feel like a two parter like they called it. they were two separate things.

and no, wait for it is not the coolest middle name of all time. it's worth a chuckle at the most, but them actually using it was the dumbest thing to ever do, and given how marshall's been so whiny over his dad dying, tacking it on to his name cheapens his memory. a lot. and the guy cried? gmab.

i just can't believe that everything about the episodes i hated and everyone on here hated and everyone on facebook hated the critics seemed to love. ultimately what should matter is what we think of it, since it's our ratings that count. but i'm sure all the housewives in arkansas thought these episodes were just so amazing. ugh.

What to expect when you're expecting (crap in season eight) - How I Met Your Mother Spoilers -- Season 8 - TVLine

Barney is engaged to Quinn, Robin has a new love interest, Victoria's hangin' around, and Lily and Marshall, well, when they asked Craig Thomas about it, he had this to say

We’re going to tell a story figuring out, “Who’s our babysitter? Who’s our nanny? Who’s going to help us with this?” There’s a cool and meaningful answer to that question that we’ll see Marshall and Lily arrive at in the first few episodes. It will free them up to have at least the occasional beer with the gang. And the gang will consider [the baby] the sixth member of this group. It’s going to be very sweet.

Yawn. I'll go in with renewed hope, as always, but I'm horrified by the news it will probably go to nine seasons and possibly more.

or putting the audience to sleep.
zomg looking for a babysitter is totes worth an episode!

and then they still had the balls to say they couldn't confirm it was the last season. jesus christ guys, just put it to bed. this sucker jumped the shark a while ago. i'm already 99% sure i'm not going to watch the season, i'll just look in here to see what horrors are going on.

I just keep reminding myself how crap the end of last season was and that there are so many other better shows out there. I'll probably take a peak at season 8, but I won't be too invested.

Looks like Jason Segel and Alyson Hannigan both want out. Surely that will send a signal to the writers/creators. PLEASE DON'T DO A NINTH SEASON.

TheVine - Jason Segel to quit ‘How I Met Your Mother’ - Life & pop culture, untangled
god yes. i just hope the writers don't take this as a sign that they should write the parents out. can you imagine friends without ross and rachel if they wrote them out after they had emma? or any other cast member that didn't want to continue at any point?

if all five aren't on board, it's time to move on. the cash cow is all dried up, just write this as the last season and move on to something else.

Got a feeling I'm going to be posting to myself for two years, but I'm on board till the bitter end.

It didn't fill me with excitement but it was certainly not bad. Much better than the horrendous two-part final to season seven.

Thought Barney's 60-second story about his relationship with Robin was pretty funny, as was him deleting her out of his photos, delirious sleep-deprived Marshall & Lily and Klaus' sister being seduced by Barney.

I always liked Victoria but she's starting to annoy me and that Klaus wanted out of the wedding as well was incredibly weak writing.

Back
Top Bottom