How amazing is John Williams? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
I saw Carpenter's films out-of-order, so it may very well be the case, but I do remember it being very similar to his score for Escape from New York. He had certainly used synthesizers in Halloween as well. Big Trouble in Little China is probably Carpenter's most dynamic and entertaining score, not sure how much that can be attributed to Morricone's work.

There's no doubt that it's very effective in its simplicity though. And there's that little shock sound that plays whenever a figure flashes across the screen or right before one of Blair's moments towards the end that's pretty damn awesome.
Keep in mind that Morricone was also doing a lot of electronic/psychedelic style scoring in the 60's and 70's before his work with Carpenter. There's a few he did with Dario Argento that are pretty notable as well.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 06:03 AM
Laz is dead on with Morricone. His scores on The Mission, Once Upon a Time In The West and the Dollars Trilogy among others are stunning. John Williams has an amazing quantity of work but the overall quality of Morricone's is far superior. Other great composers in their league are:

Jerry Goldsmith (often gets overshadowed by John Williams but has written some of the most beautiful music in film. Also his television themes are classic.)
YouTube - Star Trek First Contact Main Title

Angelo Badalamenti (a master of haunting scores)
YouTube - Angelo Badalamenti - Love Theme

Akira Ifukube (was basically the John Williams of blockbusters before John Williams with his bombastic and sweeping scores. Very impressive for the time and is very underrated due to in large part to the types of films he scored.)
YouTube - Akira Ifukube--Master Works: Symphonic Fantasia No. 1 (Part 1)

Howard Shore (Probably the best blockbuster film composer around today)
YouTube - The End of All Things

Old 06-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:03 AM
Nice mention of Days of Heaven laz! I just spent my afternoon watching it and revelling in the poeticism/reclusim of Terrence Malick. Although to be fair, much of the use of music in the film is from Saen's 'Carnival of the Animals'.

Speaking of, any word on who will be scoring Tree of Life? I found it interesting how well the scores for The New World and the Thin Red Line worked despite being mostly written prior to the movie being made (it seems especially with TRL that some of the score was an influence during the photography, as Malick played selections to the actors. That's quite the reverse from the composer being inspired by the feeling of the film to write the music), and from composers I don't always see the hype for.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
Speaking of, any word on who will be scoring Tree of Life?
Alexandre Desplat. Definitely someone worth getting excited over.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:21 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
Nice mention of Days of Heaven laz! I just spent my afternoon watching it and revelling in the poeticism/reclusim of Terrence Malick. Although to be fair, much of the use of music in the film is from Saen's 'Carnival of the Animals'.
Well the main title music is from Saen, but Morricone's work is still featured more throughout the film. And is just as memorable.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:01 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Well the main title music is from Saen, but Morricone's work is still featured more throughout the film. And is just as memorable.
Oh agreed, just throwing that information out there for those who didn't (of course I knew you would!)

And Desplat? Damn, could that film sound anymore awesome? The biggest thing is if we get it this year or even next year, it'll be the shortest wait in between movies in his career.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #22
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Keep in mind that Morricone was also doing a lot of electronic/psychedelic style scoring in the 60's and 70's before his work with Carpenter. There's a few he did with Dario Argento that are pretty notable as well.
Oh, okay. I thought you were referring to his work on The Thing specifically.

Tags
harry potter, john williams