"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - ****SPOILERS***

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2isthebest

ONE love, blood, life
It's finally out on July 15th. A lot of critics are saying it's the best one yet. The book is one of my favorites, so I'm hoping the movie does it justice. I feel the movies have been getting better and better with each one (as the books did, IMO), with the movie exception being "Goblet of Fire" which left out too many important plot points. My friends and I are all pretty excited, but
I'm pretty much gonna bawl my eyes out when Dumbledore dies, and I'm fully prepared for it.

Y'know... it's fun to see this on a spoiler tag. All my friends... most haven't read the books, but all of them know this happens already. :lol:

Anyway, even though I think Michael Gambon does an awful job portraying Dumbledore, I'm really looking foward for this. It'll be hell, but I think I'll try to go on opening day.

Y'know... it's fun to see this on a spoiler tag. All my friends... most haven't read the books, but all of them know this happens already. :lol:

Anyway, even though I think Michael Gambon does an awful job portraying Dumbledore, I'm really looking foward for this. It'll be hell, but I think I'll try to go on opening day.

Am I the only one that thinks Michael Gambon does a fine job playing Dumbledore?:lol: It's weird because I think Richard Harris was missing the playful, almost youthful spirit of Dumbledore that comes across in the books, but he played the wise, guiding part of Dumbledore perfectly. It's the exact opposite with Gambon. He has the spunky part of Dumbledore, but the wisdom and and almost grandfatherly rapport with Harry isn't as prominent. I think they both do/did a great job with the character, but if you could combine them both, they'd be perfect.

Am I the only one that thinks Michael Gambon does a fine job playing Dumbledore?:lol: It's weird because I think Richard Harris was missing the playful, almost youthful spirit of Dumbledore that comes across in the books, but he played the wise, guiding part of Dumbledore perfectly. It's the exact opposite with Gambon. He has the spunky part of Dumbledore, but the wisdom and and almost grandfatherly rapport with Harry isn't as prominent. I think they both do/did a great job with the character, but if you could combine them both, they'd be perfect.

Well, it's been a long time since I've watched the first two, but... I still feel that Richard Harris' portrayal was closer to the books. I think Gambon is way too... let me think of a word... mannered. He takes Dumbledore's youthful side too far maybe, on the sense that his "calm and collected" appearance is lost, and that is what makes me like the character so much. I guess this is why I have a big problem with Gambon.
Also, after watching films like Layer Cake and The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover it's weird to see Gambon doing such a friendly role. :wink::lol:

I'd agree that Gambon's portrayal is a bit too active, I guess. Besides the random "I'm choking you, Harry" moment in Goblet, he's been getting progressively better through each film. It's certainly a difference from Harris' Dumbledore, who looked like he was about to keel over at any moment.

Half-Blood is my favorite book in the series, probably because it felt the most cinematic of the bunch, to me at least. The last third of the book is incredible.

Am I the only one that thinks Michael Gambon does a fine job playing Dumbledore?:lol:

No, I always thought he did a good job.

Weirdly enough, it's the portrayal of Snape in the movies that always bugged me. I love Alan Rickman but IMO he's both too old and too handsome to play Snape, and the screenwriters really toned down Snape's nasty (and often cruel) side and explosive temper in the movies. Which I feel takes a lot away from the character.

Still, I look forward to the movie though I didn't think much of Order of the Phoenix and kinda suspect that the sixth film will suffer from similar problems. As long as they don't stuff up the end scenes from the cave onwards, which is IMO still the best ending in the entire series.

I think all the Potter films have kind of been shit to a certain extent to be honest. And no, I haven't read the books. Even Cuaron's film strikes me as shockingly pedestrian and uninspired, though it's still miles better than his previous two english-language films.

I've actually enjoyed the last film the most out of the lot of them, and I'm encouraged that Yates is returning for the rest of them. This film has the best look of the films so far at least, so there's that going for it. Jeunet's favored DP if I remember correctly here.

I'm looking forward to seeing it. I remember that when I saw Order of the Phoenix, I'd pretty much forgotten everything that happened in the book (except that Harry was kind of a whiny little bitch), so it was mostly "new".

I fully expect that to be my experience with this one, too, except for that spoiler spoiler spoiler thing at the end.

I'd agree that Gambon's portrayal is a bit too active, I guess. Besides the random "I'm choking you, Harry" moment in Goblet,

Which moment are you talking about? If you're thinking the same I am, it's exactly this part that made me don't like Gambon's portrayal in the first place. :lol:

Which moment are you talking about? If you're thinking the same I am, it's exactly this part that made me don't like Gambon's portrayal in the first place. :lol:

When Harry's name came out of the goblet and they're in Double D's office.

Yup, exactly. A pretty WTF moment if you ask me. That's not at all like Dumbledore in the books. Of course, I'm not judging Gambon on this only. There's several other moments where he seems way out of character.
And btw, I don't blame him only... the director has a large part on this.

Yeah, a lot of character moments in that film were way off, especially with Hermione.

I still think the only two movies worth a shit are Azkaban and Phoenix. Hopefully this one will follow suit.

God. 13 posts in this thread and I have so much to say.

Do I have it in me right now, on a Sunday afternoon, after a night of copious rabble-rousing, to type a long response to everything that's been said in this thread? We will find out shortly.

This is going to ramble and likely won't make a lick of sense.

A lot of critics are saying it's the best one yet.

Yup. 96% on Rotten Tomatoes. Early word has been almost unanimously positive, but people have varied in the way they've praised it. Some saying it is slightly disjointed, but ultimately satisfying. Many saying it is the funniest of the films. Some saying it's the best thing since sliced bread and that it will be one of the 10 films nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars next spring.

It will obviously be an immaculately crafted film, in terms of sound and visuals and acting. I'm of the mind that the Harry Potter film franchise was perfectly cast.

Hmmm, we have to find someone to play Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Let's get the three fucking cutest young British actors in the world to play them! Perfect.

We have to find someone to play Professor Severus Snape. Let's get the fucking bad guy from Die Hard! Perfect.

We have to find someone to play this obnoxious asshole Gilderoy Lockhart. Let's get fucking Kenneth Branagh! Perfect.

We have to find someone to play the friendly giant named Hagrid. Let's get the guy who played Zukovsky in Goldeneye who has the absolute most spot on voice for the role! Perfect.

You get the point.

Oh wait, we need music? Let's get John Williams to compose one of the greatest pieces of music of his career for this shit.

I feel the movies have been getting better and better with each one

Yes. Each film has improved on its predecessor, if only because of the growth of the story itself and the growth of the young actors. With each chapter has come an increasing and palpable sense of life and death, dread, darkness. Year one it's all about Harry getting his first Nimbus 2000. By year 4 we actually have Harry and Voldemort dueling it out, face to face, wand to wand, in a fucking graveyard. The stories, and the films, have been getting better. Shit is getting serious. And I don't mean Sirius.

Then the maturation of the young actors. The greatest moment of the first 5 films takes place in Phoenix, with the formation of Dumbledore's Army. A group of ultimate bad asses who hide out in a secret room in their school/castle and practice kicking the crap out of each other with their wands so that when they face Voldemort's crew they will be ready. And when they finally face Voldemort's crew in the climactic fight at the Department of Mysteries, were they prepared? You bet your ass they were. They "Stupify! Stupify! Stupified!" the shit out of those mask-wearing baddies.

The maturation of the Hogwarts students and their growing bond and friendship over the years is the true heart of the story. And the actors (not just the big three, but also the actors playing Neville, Ginny, etc.) have grown so wonderfully into their parts.

So yeah, it's the ensemble cast that makes these films a success. It's dangerous taking a beloved book series with a wonderfully fantastic story and transferring it to the big screen. At the end of the day, it's Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson that make this film franchise memorable and captivating.

Am I the only one that thinks Michael Gambon does a fine job playing Dumbledore?:lol: It's weird because I think Richard Harris was missing the playful, almost youthful spirit of Dumbledore

Exactly. Gambon's portrayal is light years ahead of Harris. Harris seemed to be goign through the motions, seemingly uninspired and uninterested in the role he was playing. No fluidity, no light in the eyes, nothing. And he was a (literally) dying man. Can you imagine old Richard Harris pulling off the epic showdown between Voldy and Dumbles at the end of Phoenix? No. It wouldn't have worked. The man couldn't move. Gambon has a bounce in his step.

Yeah, a lot of character moments in that film were way off, especially with Hermione.

I still don't know what scene you're referring to with Dumbledore in Goblet. I can't recall him doing anything weird when Harry's name comes out or in the office. Maybe I repressed whatever it is. And what was off about Hermione in Goblet? I'm curious, and Goblet is playing on ABC Family in like 2 hours and I'll look out for these things.

^Yeah, I wouldn't go quite as far as to call Harris' performance "uninspired", just lacking Dumbledore's upbeat nature. As you said, he was actually sick during filming (during COS), so that probably explains a lot of it. My friends were discussing this over wine last night (because, really, what better way to discuss children's literature? :lol:), and you and I are definitely in the Dumbeldore minority. I do feel all of the characters were perfectly cast, though, especially Alan Rickman as Snape. I don't see anyone else playing that role as well as he does. I feel the same way about Gary Oldman as Sirius. I watched all 5 movies in a row recently (well, one each night), and it really made me appreciate how much Dan, Rupert, and Emma have grown as actors. They were incredibly talented in the beginning, but they've really done a brilliant job of portraying the character as they age and mature very much like the books do. All of my friends and most of my class mates started reading the books when they came out, so they grew up with the characters. Because of my church's ridiculous teachings I was never allowed to read them, but I finally started last summer and read all 7 in a row. Reading them in a quick succession really made me realize how the books matured from definitely being geared more towards younger children in SS to definitely being more geared towards teens/young adults in DH. The movies have done a great job so far as well, and I hope they continue doing so.

I still don't know what scene you're referring to with Dumbledore in Goblet. I can't recall him doing anything weird when Harry's name comes out or in the office. Maybe I repressed whatever it is. And what was off about Hermione in Goblet? I'm curious, and Goblet is playing on ABC Family in like 2 hours and I'll look out for these things.

He looks like he's about to choke the damn kid. It's hard to miss.

Hermione was just too whiny for me. She and most of the other characters felt very one-dimensional compared to the better two films. I haven't watched any of them since Phoenix was in theaters, so it's hard to point out any more specifics.

Alan Rickman, Gary Oldman, and Kenneth Branagh could not have been cast better for their respective roles. Reading the Chamber of Secrets, Lockhart just seemed so Shakespearian in his over-the-top sense of self-worth and tendency to go on ridiculous tangents. What better actor than Branagh to do that?

Alan Rickman, Gary Oldman, and Kenneth Branagh could not have been cast better for their respective roles. Reading the Chamber of Secrets, Lockhart just seemed so Shakespearian in his over-the-top sense of self-worth and tendency to go on ridiculous tangents. What better actor than Branagh to do that?

I'm waiting to see Tommy Wiseau as Baby Voldemort.

Harris > Gambon.

I hope they stop cutting out important points like they did in the last three movies. HBP was the best book and I liked Yates' OOTP the best out of all the movies.

I'm very excited. Unfortunately, I cannot see the movie until Saturday, but to make up for that I'm seeing it in 3D Imax. :hyper:

The big nerd that I am, I watched all 5 films this weekend and the contrast from the first 2 to the last three is insane. The acting is so much better, and I think the material has also gotten better. I still think the look of POA was breathtaking, of course I'm a sucker for Curaon. Is it maddening that they cut stuff out, yes, but I understand that most people would not want to sit through a 3 hour plus film. Still, I'd be there.

I'm weird in that I'm a spoilerphobe (even though I already know what's going to happen), so I'm trying not to see to many clips from HBP. I cannot wait until Saturday.

I'm going to the midnight showing tonight. So I guess I'll be seeing this movie in about 13.5 hours!!!!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Goin with a small little group of die-hards. We're gonna watch Order of the Phoenix and drink a bunch of Delirium Nocturnum immediately before heading to the theater. Should be fucking amazing.

I really wanted to see this tonight, but I'd just be too exhausted for work tomorrow. And on top of that I have the worst flu evar, so I'm really not able to do the midnight fun.

Friday night for me. :wave:

Ditto! I always thought the Snape character (or maybe its Alan Rickman) very sexy:reject:

So do these women, apparently.

SeverusHisBrides-Watchout-1.jpg

:yikes:

They're called "Snapewives," and once you've seen them, you can never unsee them. :scream:

I'm going to the midnight showing tonight. So I guess I'll be seeing this movie in about 13.5 hours!!!!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Goin with a small little group of die-hards. We're gonna watch Order of the Phoenix and drink a bunch of Delirium Nocturnum immediately before heading to the theater. Should be fucking amazing.

have great time! :hyper:

I'll be going Fri eve! :yippie:

Back
Top Bottom