"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - ****SPOILERS*** - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #76
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:19 PM
that the thread title has changed again. Thank you, ramblin rose.

Thanks, WHA. I can't keep defending myself because I'm just going to look like I'm being ubercranky and arguing just to argue, but I'm glad you get it.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:19 PM
each to their own, I just don't see how adding a spoiler tag really effects you, whereas the (albeit addmitedly remote) chance that someone would read that without wanting to would definately effect them. I would have thought it was courtesy and just a generally nice thing to do

Old 07-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #78
Blue Crack Distributor

It is a nice thing to do and common internet etiquette ... when I'm talking about it in a thread about something else other than the movie itself.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #79
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post

Thanks, WHA. I can't keep defending myself because I'm just going to look like I'm being ubercranky and arguing just to argue, but I'm glad you get it.
I first changed it to "Spoilers Beware", but changed it again...didn't want it to sound like a horror flick.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #80
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:19 PM
Quote:

I agree as well. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't click on the thread where the discussion is taking place. Seems like common sense to me.

Cori, I'm sure you're well used to that, living on the west coast, when shows air first in the east. It'd be silly to go clicking on that show's thread and expect not to be spoiled.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #81
Blue Crack Distributor

Believe you me, I have learned that hard lesson many times.

Yeah, it took a while to sink in - and sometimes I give in to temptation. But when I spoil myself, it's not like I can be mad at anyone except myself.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #82
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
It was fine, but I was a little disappointed overall, I think. Some scenes were really good, but too much of the teenaged hormone stuff. It felt too long - surely they could have ditched some of that? I didn't enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed the other movies.

But I totally cannot remember what happens in the books by the time the movie comes out, so usually most of what happens is a surprise. For instance, I'd forgotten that this was where the horcruxes were introduced. For all I remembered, they just started being mentioned in the final book.

I did think Dumbledore's death was done well - I liked that the actual event was subtle, just shown from Harry's eyes, and that it wasn't a big dramatic reveal of his body on the ground, just the bits of him when Harry approaches.
That's pretty much how I felt about the movie, too. I've tried to separate my feelings of the books from the film series for quite some time, but it was hard because this is my favorite book of the series.

Not that the movie wasn't good, it's a solid adaptation, but something about it felt kind of hollow or out-of-whack at least. There are too many shifts in tone between the goofy horny-ass wizard stuff (which the lady sitting behind me loved, mind you) and interesting dark material. The movies play to a broader audience than the books, which is weird to think about, so it makes sense why it is that way, it just makes for an always inferior film series. A lot of the times in this film as opposed to the third and fifth films, it felt that they were just wandering around the actual plot points with the teen fluff in there for fan servicing.

Seeing Harry and Dumbledore fight 100 Gollums was funny though.

Also, SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #83
Blue Crack Distributor

I totally thought "MY PRECIOUSSSSSS!!!!" when those things started climbing out.

I thought that was a great scene, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
The movies play to a broader audience than the books, which is weird to think about,
It's kind of like coming to terms with the fact that U2 plays to a broader audience than us obsessive nutcases.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #84
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I totally thought "MY PRECIOUSSSSSS!!!!" when those things started climbing out.

I thought that was a great scene, though.

It's kind of like coming to terms with the fact that U2 plays to a broader audience than us obsessive nutcases.
Oh man, it was fantastic. I didn't mind the change to a more somber finale... it felt epic, as I wanted the rest of the film to be. Everything dealing with Voldermort's past, Draco's indecision, the memories, and Slughorn (Jim Broadbent!) was handled extremely well. Again, it was the frilly fangirl crap that got me.

It is, and it sucks. One thing I do love though, is that you see the millions it takes to make these movies on-screen in nearly every shot. The attention to detail and effects work always feels top-notch and for the most part doesn't supercede the story at hand. I really dig that. There's a reverence to the material and that's why the series is so successful. The problem comes down to what they decide to covet from the text though.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:19 PM
I enjoyed the movie enough, and although there were parts from the books that I wish were included, I've come to terms with the fact that that the movies won't (and don't have to) be completely loyal adaptations of the books.

However,

Ever since I read the book, I have been waiting to see Julie Walters scream "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!" and will be SO disappointed if this doesn't make an appearance in the next movie(s).
Old 07-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #86
Blue Crack Distributor

Totally, Lemonchick.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #87
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

And to anyone who doesn't like Gambon's Dumbledore by now, the guy was pitch-perfect this time around.

Hell, the casting has been incredible throughout the entire series. How many Veteran British Actors™ are left?

Broadbent as Slughorn was fantastic, but my all-time favorite has to be Kenneth Branagh as Gilderoy Lockhart. The film is arguably the weakest of the bunch (downplays much of the awesome mystery plot and has about zero tension) but every scene with him in it is fucking awesome.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #88
Blue Crack Distributor

Yeah, he was good.

I also love Emma Thompson as Trelawney and missed her not being in this one.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #89
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Me too, but we got Warwick Davis' epic return as Prof. Motherfucking Flitwick.

YES.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #90
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonchick View Post
I enjoyed the movie enough, and although there were parts from the books that I wish were included, I've come to terms with the fact that that the movies won't (and don't have to) be completely loyal adaptations of the books.

However,

Ever since I read the book, I have been waiting to see Julie Walters scream "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!" and will be SO disappointed if this doesn't make an appearance in the next movie(s).
Quote:
Totally, Lemonchick.

i looked at your spoiler and went
- since i don't know the actor's name to character.[DON't tell me, either! ]

that's good... cause i'll probably forget what you wrote there.

i want to be as little spoiled as possible for DH1 & 2!

I'm glad they are splitting it-
as i'd guess there will be way more room for nuances!

I was very happy to see LOTR actually made as 3 films!

Tags
harry potter