"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - ****SPOILERS*** - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Old 07-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 01:52 PM
Absolutely loved it, for me it was just slightly better than Goblet and not quite up there with Azkaban. Malfoy was excellent, I think Tom Felton had one of the most persuasive peformances of the entire franchise. I was surprised that what is largely the least action-packed and most character-driven of the books worked as a film, though the scene inserted at the burrow was certainly exciting. I'm not a purist, so the added plot didn't bother me. I do however think that, while thrilling to watch, the scene didn't really have any emotional resonance or repercussion after the second term started.

There are so many things that were cut, yes, but in the end I felt like it was more rounded and complete in its explanations and emotional range than Phoenix.

UnforgettableLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict
I love this film more than I love my own sister.

GirlsAloudFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
For sure! You must read the books ASAP. The movies are all excellent, but as usual nothing can compare to the books.
a long time back ...

my sis continues to be a very avid movie/film buff...
Blockbusters, little Indie films, "foreign" films , some genre films etc

she's also a very avid reader...novles & some non-fic as well....

so long ago i got to understand from her who would see(read) both (when such occured) --

that movie = not always equal book etc... not one worse than the other just sometimes diferent and getting most the the major and some of the subtle stuff in PLUS great visuals, good acting, pacing etc

and most importantly getting the spirit of the book/world -making involved

I read LOTR when i was 12........

in fact it sort of spoiled most other fantasy wolrd sof rme EEPT those that involved fantasy & our modern world

HP, some of the Darkover series (which since MZB) world built so well i went back and enjoyed maany of the stories before (certain people showed up)

SO I inew not to expect everything to be The same in PJ's LOTR films.

I LOVE them!

I even got a kick of Liv Tyler's Elven character doing what she did in the movie that wasn't in the book!

the LOTR purists were horrified! I loved it!

and I consIder my self a pretty serioous LORT person . i read them over & over for years ( not so much the past 15)

pretty seroius time investment!

will read the books beofre the DH arrives on screen

sorry for typos veryy tired and have to leave here
dazzledbylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #49
A vampire or a victim...
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
If it's wrong to be excited that Ronald Weasley is finally getting some action, then I don't wanna be right.

Yeah, I've read blog entries by the Snapewives. They believe they're married to him "on the astral plane," or some such crazy shit. It's...amusing.

Last night they loved you
Opening doors and pulling some strings, angel

VintagePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 11:52 AM
Y'all are making me more excited for Saturday! I cannot wait.
trojanchick99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #51
love, blood, life
Local Time: 05:52 AM
I didn't like Gambon originally. I always saw Richard harris as Dumbledore, and he was perfect. I was too hard initially on Gambon because I heard he was coming in before I saw him in the role. After 3 movies with him, I like him more than Harris. Richard Harris was a bit too frail. He was almost perfect in every other way. Gambon IS Dumbledore for me
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #52
love, blood, life
Local Time: 05:52 AM
I am hanging out for the final film to be released, then hopefully we get some super-mega unabridged directors cut edition where each movie is extended by 2 hours to include everything in the books, and we wind up with a 30-hour book-accurate movie marathon
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:42 AM   #53
Blue Crack Addict
“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” has been deemed hefty enough by Warner Brothers — 784 hardcover pages, 2.4 pounds shipping weight, a fight to the death — to be split into two movies that will hit in late 2010 and summer 2011.
deep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:45 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict
no wai, deep.
Lancemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #55
love, blood, life
Local Time: 12:52 PM
Thought the movie was pretty good plan on seeing it again. Wish they hadn't cut out some parts from the books though. Still I was not disappointed with how this one turned out!

Btw starting to like Bellatrix a lot lol
BonosBaby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict
Loved it.

I hated both book 5 and movie 5, so this was a hugely pleasant surprise. It was lighthearted and funny. I no longer get bothered about them cutting stuff out from the books; it's just not feasible to make this sort of movie totally true to the book unless you want a 4 hour ordeal at the theatre and then I'd have to leave to pee like twice, so I'm good with what we're getting...though that in itself was a struggle.

Not particularly impressed by Deathly Hallows being split into two though.
anitram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Loved it!

This one really felt like it took its time with its characters and just let wonderful, funny little moments happen. It didn't feel rushed at all. My friends and I laughed out loud many, many times throughout the movie.

I also, for the first time, like Michael Gambon's Dumbledore for the entire movie. I've always felt he did a much better job when he's one-on-one and more intimate, quiet, personal moments, rather than trying to be big and powerful and authoritative (which, for me, he always ended up overacting and seeming silly, rather than imposing). And I'm glad he got his big, bad-ass, 2nd most powerful wizard moment with the whole ring-of-fire shot.

I can't wait to see it again!

FitzChivalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #58
love, blood, life
I'm so jealous of everyone that's gone already. I've heard a lot of people say it's amazing. My friends and I all want to go together, but getting a pretty big group of people's work and summer class schedules to mesh isn't easy. We're hoping we can go by the middle next week. I hope I can wait.
U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:17 AM   #59
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 10:52 AM
It was absolutely fantastic! My friend surprised me with tickets to see it tonight. Lucky for her I had no plans. Like others have said, it was really funny, which was nice. Lots of true laugh out loud moments.

I too was very disappointed in certain scenes being left out, especially
the lack of the funeral scene, which I thought was one of the most beautiful moments in the book
, but that didn't hamper my enjoyment of the movie at all. I thought it was so well done. I didn't like Gambon at all before this movie, but his performance was phenomenal. So was Tom Felton's. He does sinister very well.

It seemed like EVERYONE in the theatre jumped a mile high and screamed during the one scene in the cave. I was prepared, so it didn't scare me, which is a rare thing. I'm normally the one jumping in fright.

I think I'm going to have to go see it again.
Insert something interesting here
Thora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Location: and if you don't know where you're going...any road will take you there..
I did like it a lot but I think I may see it again to form a better opinion on it. Malfoy really shined in this movie and Bellatrix is just craaaazy, lol. I wasn't necessarily happy about the scene at the Burrow. I was certain it wasn't in the book and a post above confirmed it. not sure it added or subtracted anything to the story. Now that movie 6 is out and done with so to speak, I'm wondering what the cut off point will be for movie 1 of the Deathly Hallows, the scene they will leave us with until the 2nd movie comes out.

U2Girl416 is offline   Reply With Quote

harry potter