"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - ****SPOILERS***

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:ohmy::ohmy:

just had late diner after the movie tonight.
WOWWOAH--- wonderful & stunned!

On a visual level some really stunning & well done cinematography! Yes, sure it takes a lot to screw up the gorgeous scenery they've placed Hoghwroth's in.

But they certainly jumped that up even better.
But many closer in scnes had either beautiful transitions to other places, or just how a scene was visual played out.

Because I don't hear that well.....i missed some of the dialouge--
both the serious and the funny!

I did laugh out loud, gasped out loud, got teary-eyed at different times.

SERIOUS
S
The scene were the new/old (Tom's) professor-- were Harry implores him and sucessfully get's the memory- very well done <sniffles>.

I really has NO idea that Dumblerdorf would be dead by the end of the move!!! :ohmy: So I was stunned :( .
Raising the wands in tribute.......very beautiful, and beautifully filmed. <more sniffles>
Other movie/story> reminds of how I felt
sort of how I felt at the Bridge of Khadhazum.

AND omg- that Snape turned out to be a turn coat/double agent!

The scenes with Ron being all "moon-struck" was hyssterical. He did a great job transitioning back to his normal self after the antidote was provided. All the various bantering, wondering , planning etc between all of the gangin their relat5ionships when not being sad (for Hermonie) was really funny stuff. Kudos for all of them! :lol:

I'll def go back in ealry Aug when I have more $ again!

OH yes the actors playing Malfoy & young Tom were great.
As for Lestrange :mad: I want rip that bitch apart! Which means the actor is doing fab work!

I still think Yates is the best director of the series...but a letdown for me.

The good:
- the chemistry between the trio and the funny scenes. Ron in particular shines.
- the dark stuff: intro, Malfoy, Riddle scenes, Bellatrix and Greyback and most of everything after and including the cave.
- Ron and Lavender scenes.
- Slughorn.

The bad:
- Gambon still isn't a good DD, despite the cave scene.
- The Burrow getting attacked, which will look weird considering it's a hideout in DH.
- Ginny hiding the book and the repercussions for DH.

The ugly:
- the movie should not be so much about HP and Hogwarts High on Hormones, especially at the expense of more Riddle memories
- leaving out the fact that Horcruxes are the Hogwarts Founders' items (see above re: Riddle memories), which will look weird in DH later
- leaving out the funeral and the school battle scenes and Harry not being petrified by DD on the Tower

I wasn't impressed with the movie. I think it's because they left out parts and it's been ages since I read the book. Looking forward to the next movie next yr.

I've learned to separate the books from the films, so I really enjoyed it. Some stuff being left out doesn't actually bother me because I know what happened, unfortunately I fear for the folks who are watching the films with no book reference. Again, I am more impressed with the acting than even in the last film, the trio is getting better and better and of course Alan Rickman owns Snape.

I also saw it in IMAX 3D. I recommend the IMAX as the film looks amazing, however the 3D is only for a bit at the beginning which was slightly disappointed.

It was fine, but I was a little disappointed overall, I think. Some scenes were really good, but too much of the teenaged hormone stuff. It felt too long - surely they could have ditched some of that? I didn't enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed the other movies.

But I totally cannot remember what happens in the books by the time the movie comes out, so usually most of what happens is a surprise. :lol: For instance, I'd forgotten that this was where the horcruxes were introduced. For all I remembered, they just started being mentioned in the final book.

I did think Dumbledore's death was done well - I liked that the actual event was subtle, just shown from Harry's eyes, and that it wasn't a big dramatic reveal of his body on the ground, just the bits of him when Harry approaches.

... is anyone coming into this thread who hasn't seen it or read the book?

If someone doesn't want to be spoiled, they shouldn't come into a thread that's specific to the movie or book.

I'm careful about spoilers except in situations like this, when common sense should apply. This thread was created to talk specifically about the movie.

:)

True, but if I was someone who hasn't read the books and just wanted to know if the movie was good/true to the story/worth spending money on, I def wouldn't want to know gthat

I just erased the mention altogether. I'd rather not even mention it than feel like I have to use spoilers in this situation.

If someone really doesn't want to know plot points, they shouldn't visit a thread where people are discussing a book/TV show/movie, though. There are plenty of other places on the internet to find the general consensus is on whether something is being well-reviewed or not.

Sorry, but it's silly.

I understand your point, but I mean, in all honesty, for the effort it takes you to add the spoiler tag, it really isn't that much of an inconvenience to be safe and make sure someone doesnt have a fairly key plot point ruined.

It seems silly that you would defend that point dso vehemently, when I agree with you in principle but feel it would just be courteous just incase some poor misguided soul accendently happened upon that sentence

:shrug:

The Titanic sinks. :wink:

By the way - am I crazy, or did the thread say "spoilers aware" all along, or did a mod just change it?

Because if they just added it, thank you. Shouldn't have to use spoiler tags now.

Um, I've never read one page of this book but I know what happens because it's been out for ages and my friends have read the book. The spoiler tag request is silly. I'm with cori on this one.

:lol: that the thread title has changed again. Thank you, ramblin rose.

Thanks, WHA. I can't keep defending myself because I'm just going to look like I'm being ubercranky and arguing just to argue, but I'm glad you get it.

each to their own, I just don't see how adding a spoiler tag really effects you, whereas the (albeit addmitedly remote) chance that someone would read that without wanting to would definately effect them. I would have thought it was courtesy and just a generally nice thing to do

It is a nice thing to do and common internet etiquette ... when I'm talking about it in a thread about something else other than the movie itself.

Thanks, WHA. I can't keep defending myself because I'm just going to look like I'm being ubercranky and arguing just to argue, but I'm glad you get it.

I first changed it to "Spoilers Beware", but changed it again...didn't want it to sound like a horror flick. :wink:

I agree as well. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't click on the thread where the discussion is taking place. Seems like common sense to me.

Cori, I'm sure you're well used to that, living on the west coast, when shows air first in the east. It'd be silly to go clicking on that show's thread and expect not to be spoiled.

Believe you me, I have learned that hard lesson many times. :grumpy:

Yeah, it took a while to sink in - and sometimes I give in to temptation. But when I spoil myself, it's not like I can be mad at anyone except myself. :wink:

It was fine, but I was a little disappointed overall, I think. Some scenes were really good, but too much of the teenaged hormone stuff. It felt too long - surely they could have ditched some of that? I didn't enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed the other movies.

But I totally cannot remember what happens in the books by the time the movie comes out, so usually most of what happens is a surprise. :lol: For instance, I'd forgotten that this was where the horcruxes were introduced. For all I remembered, they just started being mentioned in the final book.

I did think Dumbledore's death was done well - I liked that the actual event was subtle, just shown from Harry's eyes, and that it wasn't a big dramatic reveal of his body on the ground, just the bits of him when Harry approaches.

That's pretty much how I felt about the movie, too. I've tried to separate my feelings of the books from the film series for quite some time, but it was hard because this is my favorite book of the series.

Not that the movie wasn't good, it's a solid adaptation, but something about it felt kind of hollow or out-of-whack at least. There are too many shifts in tone between the goofy horny-ass wizard stuff (which the lady sitting behind me loved, mind you) and interesting dark material. The movies play to a broader audience than the books, which is weird to think about, so it makes sense why it is that way, it just makes for an always inferior film series. A lot of the times in this film as opposed to the third and fifth films, it felt that they were just wandering around the actual plot points with the teen fluff in there for fan servicing.

Seeing Harry and Dumbledore fight 100 Gollums was funny though.

Also, SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE.

:lol: I totally thought "MY PRECIOUSSSSSS!!!!" when those things started climbing out.

I thought that was a great scene, though.

The movies play to a broader audience than the books, which is weird to think about,

It's kind of like coming to terms with the fact that U2 plays to a broader audience than us obsessive nutcases. :whistle:

:lol: I totally thought "MY PRECIOUSSSSSS!!!!" when those things started climbing out.

I thought that was a great scene, though.

It's kind of like coming to terms with the fact that U2 plays to a broader audience than us obsessive nutcases. :whistle:

Oh man, it was fantastic. I didn't mind the change to a more somber finale... it felt epic, as I wanted the rest of the film to be. Everything dealing with Voldermort's past, Draco's indecision, the memories, and Slughorn (Jim Broadbent!) was handled extremely well. Again, it was the frilly fangirl crap that got me.

It is, and it sucks. One thing I do love though, is that you see the millions it takes to make these movies on-screen in nearly every shot. The attention to detail and effects work always feels top-notch and for the most part doesn't supercede the story at hand. I really dig that. There's a reverence to the material and that's why the series is so successful. The problem comes down to what they decide to covet from the text though.

I enjoyed the movie enough, and although there were parts from the books that I wish were included, I've come to terms with the fact that that the movies won't (and don't have to) be completely loyal adaptations of the books.

However,

Ever since I read the book, I have been waiting to see Julie Walters scream "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!" and will be SO disappointed if this doesn't make an appearance in the next movie(s).

And to anyone who doesn't like Gambon's Dumbledore by now, the guy was pitch-perfect this time around.

Hell, the casting has been incredible throughout the entire series. How many Veteran British Actors™ are left?

Broadbent as Slughorn was fantastic, but my all-time favorite has to be Kenneth Branagh as Gilderoy Lockhart. The film is arguably the weakest of the bunch (downplays much of the awesome mystery plot and has about zero tension) but every scene with him in it is fucking awesome.

Yeah, he was good.

I also love Emma Thompson as Trelawney and missed her not being in this one.

Me too, but we got Warwick Davis' epic return as Prof. Motherfucking Flitwick.

YES.

I enjoyed the movie enough, and although there were parts from the books that I wish were included, I've come to terms with the fact that that the movies won't (and don't have to) be completely loyal adaptations of the books.

However,

Ever since I read the book, I have been waiting to see Julie Walters scream "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!" and will be SO disappointed if this doesn't make an appearance in the next movie(s).

:lol: Totally, Lemonchick.

:lol:

i looked at your spoiler and went :huh:
- since i don't know the actor's name to character.[DON't tell me, either! ]

that's good... cause i'll probably forget what you wrote there.

i want to be as little spoiled as possible for DH1 & 2!

I'm glad they are splitting it-
as i'd guess there will be way more room for nuances!

I was very happy to see LOTR actually made as 3 films! :heart:

Back
Top Bottom