Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2isthebest

ONE love, blood, life
The official trailer was released last week. I don't think I've ever fangirled so hard in my life. I think they've really out done themselves this time. I think, for the most part anyway, that all the movies (just like the books) grew better with each one. However, just as I think Deathly Hallows was the best book all around, it's looking the movie will be as well. I was literally speechless after the trailer. November 19th can't get here fast enough. I just finished re-reading Sorcerer's Stone earlier today, and I'm about to start Chamber of Secrets again.

YouTube - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Trailer Official HD

I still get goosebumps every time I see that trailer. I know they're designed to make the movie look as amazing as possible, but the book is so different in terms of style and tone than the previous ones that I think they really took the movies to another level as well. There are quite a few parts in the book that I love (especially the final confrontation between Harry and Voldemort) that I'm really hoping they don't half-ass. I'm wondering as with the finale of many movie or TV series if one or both of the final films as well as the main cast will receive any nominations at the major award shows. Especially with the 10 contenders for Best Picture now at the Oscars, I'd be shocked if 1 or both movies wasn't nominated. They'll likely be better than at least half of the nominees last year. (The Blind Side, really?!)

That trailer gives me chills every time I see it. :love: I cannot wait!

I think I'll be re-reading all the books this summer. I always like to re-read the book before the movie comes out, but it's been a long time since I've read all the older books.

Of course they will, they made two movie$ out of the final book.

While I liked Yates' approach for OOTP, HBP was too much teen romance and not nearly enough horcrux explanation.

Of course they will, they made two movie$ out of the final book.

While I liked Yates' approach for OOTP, HBP was too much teen romance and not nearly enough horcrux explanation.

Exposition is always something that movie makers try to avoid as much as possible because they find it slows the movie down (especially for people who have never read the book). The books will always be the authoritative version but I suspect they made a good decision to make two movies so they can tie loose ends to wrap up the movie saga.

Yeah, I really don't get the complaints (not that you were, U2girl) I've seen about DH being split into 2 movies. I understand and completely agree with the idea that at least on the studio's part the goal is to stretch the franchise as far as possible and make more money. But the only other alternatives from the filmmakers' perspectives would be to try and cram everything into a 7 hour movie or cut huge plot points to try and fit it into one. I know certain things have been cut from every movie so far, but with the 7th there are very few insignificant parts. Without two movies including most of those scenes, they'd suffer greatly.

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

oh...woah!
the music! the visuals!

**THANKS***
i don't go to the movies often enough, so I didn't know that the trailer was out!

I haven't read the books yet.

I started with TPOA in the theater, and have seen all of them in the theater since then, and went back to see the first two on TV. I have the DVD's except for TSS and will get that too.

Once i make amends at my library i can finally start reading them all except the last one which i will wait for after the 2 films are over.
I look forward to them; to meeting more characters for the first time, and others in more depth, I'm sure they'll enrich the story further in certain ways....I learned from my sib to not make one to one correlation between books and movies a ways back!

ANd having been a LOTR fan for decades.......I loved those films!

Am I the only fan who thinks that DH was the worst Potter book by a mile? I was satisfied enough with it after the initial on the day read, but afterwards I noticed the staggering amount of plot holes, internal contradictions, characters acting idiotic just to further the plot and sloppy writing.

PoA and GoF always will be guilty pleasures of mine and while they're hardly literature, they're pretty tight in story telling.

Am I the only fan who thinks that DH was the worst Potter book by a mile? I was satisfied enough with it after the initial on the day read, but afterwards I noticed the staggering amount of plot holes, internal contradictions, characters acting idiotic just to further the plot and sloppy writing.

PoA and GoF always will be guilty pleasures of mine and while they're hardly literature, they're pretty tight in story telling.

Azkaban is my favorite of the bunch as far as the films go, and it's not even close.

As far as the books are concerned, Goblet of Fire is the one I most enjoyed.

My favorite book is Azkaban, but I usually tell people it's GOF, they're just that close I suppose.

OOTP was just so bad, I really lost love for the series, and HBP didn't help thinks, so I was very surprised when I liked DH as much as I did, and as a result, probably liked the movie a lot more than I would've otherwise.

OOTP is my least favorite book, but that's mainly because I hated seeing what happened to Hogwarts in it with the Ministry taking over and that awful bitch Umbridge coming in. I did like the movie version, though. I'm in the minority here and with my friends because POA is my least favorite of the movies. I can't put my finger on it, but something about the directing really put me off of that one. It's probably my second favorite of the books, although overall, I think GOF had the most interesting plot.

Maybe the fact that they ripped the book to holy shreds?

OOTP was a great film for making that book even remotely interesting to me.

Azkaban is the best book and film for me.

This is getting the 2-film treatment, but the one that really needed it (Goblet of Fire) did not?

^I agree, Ashley The scenes at Hogwarts after Umbridge took over were painstaking in the book. The movie made them tolerable, and I especially love the scene where Umbridge tries to make Snape give Harry the Verita Serum, and he says he has none left. And when Harry tries to tell him about what's happened to Sirius he uses the code name, Padfoot. Obviously, Snape knows what he's talking about, but I love the way he just looks at Harry then Umbridge and says, "No idea". It's one of my favorite scenes in the movies. Alan Rickman was born to play Snape. I love that character.

Azkaban is the best book and film for me.

This is getting the 2-film treatment, but the one that really needed it (Goblet of Fire) did not?

I've heard a lot of arguments about too much being left out of GOF, and while I agree, I still felt the movie was a good adaptation and left all the important plot points in. I thought the graveyard scene especially was really well done both in all respects, acting , cinematography, and special effects. All of the Triwizard challenge scenes were excellent as well.

Not only did they leave a lot out, but it's way too rushed. The plot that's left in there is skimmed over quite a bit, and the pacing of the book isn't reflected anywhere.

And the scene where Dumbledore gets all pushy with Harry for no reason is horrible and completely wrong for the character. It was an incredibly poor adaptation.

^I do agree on the Dumbledore scene. That was completely out of character and didn't really seem to serve a point. I did enjoy the rest of the movie a lot, though.

:up:

Azkaban (film) finally gives Hogwarts some depth, life, activity, sense of movement, etc. It also injects some decent humor into the proceedings. The leap it represents from its predecessors is almost immeasurable.
This post made me laugh way less than it should have. It may have even sucked laughter out of me.

LIKE A DEMENTOR.

In all seriousness, I agree completely. It could have been a huge misstep with the death of Richard Harris and the change of director, but it worked really well and did all the things you mentioned correctly. Now, it had a little help from the novel with the feeling you're describing since the world was opened up a little more, what with Hogsmeade and everything going on, but credit to them for taking full advantage of that.

This post made me laugh way less than it should have. It may have even sucked laughter out of me.

LIKE A DEMENTOR.

In all seriousness, I agree completely. It could have been a huge misstep with the death of Richard Harris and the change of director, but it worked really well and did all the things you mentioned correctly. Now, it had a little help from the novel with the feeling you're describing since the world was opened up a little more, what with Hogsmeade and everything going on, but credit to them for taking full advantage of that.

Agreed that the book helps, but I even mean the physical structure of Hogwarts itself. Things move, you get more of a sense of depth, kinetics, background life and goings-on, etc. And it looks gorgeous, at least to me.

And, yeah, good point about Harris, etc.

Fucking Dementors.

Agreed that the book helps, but I even mean the physical structure of Hogwarts itself. Things move, you get more of a sense of depth, kinetics, background life and goings-on, etc. And it looks gorgeous, at least to me.

And, yeah, good point about Harris, etc.

Fucking Dementors.

Chris Columbus apparently decided that extreme close-ups on every actor/exchange was absolutely necessary for each film. What a great choice!

I'm certainly glad that Cuaron established the look/tone of the following films, and successfully, I might add. Rowling's first choice for director was Terry Gilliam, who would've hit it out of the park. It's kind of a shame that the film series had to be diluted for a wider audience, which is almost ridiculous to say looking at the widespread appeal of the book series, but most of the darker themes explored in the text and more intense character moments that Harry and Co. go through are either glossed over or underdeveloped in the films. Again, I understand the reasoning for it in the business sense, but it prevented the film series from achieving consistent greatness as opposed to just showing flashes of it, at least to me.

I don't think there's anything all that wrong with the first two movies. They were the least serious and most kid-friendly of the books, and I think the movies reflected that.

I don't think there's anything all that wrong with the first two movies. They were the least serious and most kid-friendly of the books, and I think the movies reflected that.

Then the agreeing to disagree shall begin (I think this was prophesied, Ashley), as I thought both were horrid, regardless of the tone of the source material.

AZKABAN, I love thee and that's why I own you on Blu-Ray.

Back
Top Bottom