Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am I the only fan who thinks that DH was the worst Potter book by a mile? I was satisfied enough with it after the initial on the day read, but afterwards I noticed the staggering amount of plot holes, internal contradictions, characters acting idiotic just to further the plot and sloppy writing.

PoA and GoF always will be guilty pleasures of mine and while they're hardly literature, they're pretty tight in story telling.

DH was a letdown for me as well. Some great chapters, but overall I preferred GOF and especially HBP.

Movies ? POA and OOTP are ahead of the pack. First two and GOF are generic Hollywood-HarryPotter movies. Also they started filming the series too soon so a lot of the plot holes are missing.

Yeah I'd say that DH was a partial disappointment, I never really had much desire to revisit it after I first read it. I didn't think that the final climatic scene was all that that great, mostly because of the extremely convoluted explanations about wands that went with it. Plus I thought that while the darker feel that crept more and more into the series made it more compelling, the final book almost piled it on way too much.

Movie-wise I really enjoyed GoF, thought that POA and OOTP both had their moments but in the end didn't really work. I think in general that the episodic nature of the books doesn't translate well onscreen.

That's interesting, my biggest problem with OOTP is that I felt that the darkness had just taken over to a point where I could no longer sympathize in the slightest with any of the characters. With 6 and 7, I thought she backed way off of that tone.

Movie wise, the series is... bad. :reject: I mean, I love the books so no matter what I end up enjoying the films, but to me only PoA and HBP got it (closer to) right so far. OOTP was freakin' awful.
I must say that A LOT of my hate is Gambom's fault. So glad he won't bother that much on DH.

That's interesting, my biggest problem with OOTP is that I felt that the darkness had just taken over to a point where I could no longer sympathize in the slightest with any of the characters. With 6 and 7, I thought she backed way off of that tone.

I was mostly referring to JKR killing off the characters left, right and centre in the final book, to the point where all the deaths almost stop to have much impact. That, and the serious lack of humour.

Ooh, I'm a Harry Potter geek! :wave:

I'm excited for DH, but I don't have extremely high hopes, because POA is the only movie that I feel was done well. I loved DH, the book... I think I liked HBP more, but DH was still very good. So we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom