Golden Globe Awards 2011 Viewing Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to admit I was a little nervous that Ricky was going to go with a joke about Sandra's skeezebag ex-husband.

Ricky - "I want to thank God. For making me an Atheist."

Only 9 days until the Oscar nominations are announced!

I personally liked it more than Black Swan. And yes, I know everyone and their mother will disagree with me.

I agree with you, so did I. I thought Black Swan was so campy and silly so often that it made me want to laugh. People in the audience were laughing at things that weren't supposed to be funny. I'd rather see TSN win the Oscar-or The Fighter. I loved that movie.

I don't like Ricky Gervais and I don't think he's funny :shrug: - at least not while hosting award shows. You can poke fun without going over the top-would he have said that about John Travolta if he had been sitting there in the audience? I don't think so. I guess he wanted to make some Hitler reference that they wouldn't let him make. If they knew about that I don't know how they didn't know about the rest of his jokes-unless he changed the jokes or didn't tell them.

Some beautiful dresses and ladies there last night-but some of them are just way too thin.

Hollywood Foreign Press Association President Philip Berk told The Hollywood Reporter that, "He definitely crossed the line. And some of the things were totally unacceptable. But that's Ricky."

And he had no idea what was coming.

"I had absolutely no idea what Ricky was going to say so anything I heard was heard was the same time you heard it," Berk said. "When you hire Ricky Gervais, you expect the unexpected.

For more, click over to The Hollywood Reporter.
___

UPDATE: Rob Shuter of PopEater reports that one Hollywood Foreign Press Association (they put on and vote for the awards) told him that Gervais will not return as host -- and won't ever get nominated for a Golden Globe, either.

"Ricky will not be invited back to host the show next year, for sure," the HFPA member said. "For sure any movie he makes he can forget about getting nominated. He humiliated the organization last night and went too far with several celebrities whose representatives have already called to complain."

Whether that's the official view of the HFPA remains to be seen. Though, either way, Gervais probably just doesn't care.

I agree with you, so did I. I thought Black Swan was so campy and silly so often that it made me want to laugh. People in the audience were laughing at things that weren't supposed to be funny. I'd rather see TSN win the Oscar-or The Fighter. I loved that movie.

I don't like Ricky Gervais and I don't think he's funny :shrug: - at least not while hosting award shows. You can poke fun without going over the top-would he have said that about John Travolta if he had been sitting there in the audience? I don't think so. [/i]

Yes, I think The Fighter is better than TSN which is better than both Swan and 1270 Hours.

Travolta? I heard a swipe at Tom Cruise.

I don't like Ricky Gervais and I don't think he's funny :shrug: - at least not while hosting award shows. You can poke fun without going over the top-would he have said that about John Travolta if he had been sitting there in the audience? I don't think so.

Why do you think he'd pull punches with Travolta? He was making jokes about everyone else to their faces. He's often said that if he can't make a joke about someone while they are in the room, he wont do it .
I only caught some montages on youtube after the fact, but I thought he was hilarious

These people are too sensitive, for fuck's sake. The man was bloody joking. Can't understand why some people have such a big reaction from that. :|
As far as it goes he could present the Oscars too, 'cause it's been awfully boring host-wise since Billy Crystal; he was such a good host back in 2004.
Oh, that was a hell of a fun Oscar, TLOTR kicked everyone's ass to my delight.

first of all, I have no idea what many see in Ricky Gervais, I really dont, cant stand the little man, he is always rude these days.

I have not seen show yet, not sure if I will but from photos, Mila looked absolutely gorgeous in her green dress!

(yes there was a photo session somewhere of green dress parade, lol)

as for ma fav woman, jolie. She looked lovely, looks a bit fuller in face, thou I still hate how she dresses like 10 years older than she should as she is still young - gawd she wears heavy eye-make up and earrings and while yea, she has matured from being with Pitt and having kids and all, its like shes gone from, okay, looking young and carefree in her 20s to this old-fashioned looking women looking more in her 40s in record speed! damn you girl!

It's a British thing, you just don't get it.

tsott_180111.jpg

"So here's what really happened. Bruce Willis and Sly Stallone started a fight with me but Alec Baldwin and Mark Walberg stepped in and helped me out. That's what happened. "

Gervais not the first to question Golden Globes’ credibility

By Carrie Rickey, McClatchy-Tribune
January 18, 2011 5:02 pm

4122423.bin

Golden Globes host Ricky Gervais was one of several people at the awards Sunday to make fun of the organization.

Photograph by: NBC.

There’s tarnish on them thar Globes.

In the run-up to the show, a lawsuit filed by two disgruntled employees alleged that the group awarding the Golden Globes had received kickbacks from broadcast advertisers.

Then, at its 68th annual awards ceremony Sunday night, Ricky Gervais, snarkmaster of ceremonies, joked that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, those 82 journalists of questionable repute who confer the honours, accept bribes in exchange for nominations.

Is this just the latest embarrassment for the much-maligned outfit? Or is it a sign that the sweetheart relationship between the Globes and the entertainment industry has soured?

Already, wags are dubbing the awards “The Golden Bribes.”

On Sunday, when The Social Network took home four Globes, Glee three, and The Fighter and Boardwalk Empire two apiece, Gervais wasn’t the only one who made fun of the evening’s host organization. Robert De Niro, the Oscar-winning actor of the Godfather: Part II and Raging Bull, accepted the Globes’ Cecil b. De Mille honours by biting the hand that awarded him.

“The important thing is we’re all in this together,” he said, “both the filmmakers who make the movies, and the members of the Hollywood Foreign Press who, in turn, pose for pictures with the movie stars.”

Gervais’ cracks elicited more gasps than giggles, especially when he slammed a movie that received two Globe nominations. Referring to the glut of 3-D films released in 2010, Gervais mocked, “Everything last year was in three dimensions – except for the characters in The Tourist.”

Unless it’s a roast, typically the host does not demean the host organization as Gervais did Sunday night.

Proceeding from outrageously funny at the top of the show to merely outrageous for the rest, Gervais seemed to be feeding off unease about the value of the Globes themselves.

But he was single-minded in puncturing the pomp and hypocrisy of the event that one veteran industry analyst pooh-poohed as “the last high-profile award you can buy a nomination for.”

From Gervais to De Niro to supporting-actor winner Christian Bale (The Fighter), those at the lectern abetted this hypocrisy by mocking the Globes while accepting its gifts.

The Globes have had a Technicolourful history, replete with ethical lapses and federal investigations.

In 1968, the Federal Communications Commission, finding that the Globes voting procedures were “highly irregular,” reprimanded NBC for broadcasting the event.

In 1981, after millionaire Meshulam Riklis flew Globes members to Las Vegas to preview Butterfly, starring his starlet wife, Pia Zadora, the group voted her “most promising actress.” this gave rise to speculation that a Globe could be bought for the price of a plane ticket and a platter of cold cuts.

The ensuing scandal did not permanently taint the Globes. Nor did the Los Angeles Times’ 1981 investigation that reported that some association members did not represent the publications they claimed to write for. And nor did the 1992 stink about Scent of a Woman, when the membership was flown to New York to screen the film, which went on to win two Globes, for the film and its star, Al Pacino.

What explains the durability of this much-maligned awards show? It is mutually beneficial for studios, networks and stars.

The studios use the Globes as free advertising for their movies. The network uses the globes as a star-studded ratings magnet. Sunday night’s telecast drew about 17 million viewers – the same as last year, when Gervais also was host.

(NBC still lost the night to CBS, which got a major boost from the NFL playoff game between the New York Jets and the New England Patriots).

The stars use the Globes to advance their visibility, bankability and Oscar campaigns. The beauty and fashion industries use the stars as a free promotion for their new colours, labels and products.

That’s advertainment!

The Philadelphia Inquirer

Travolta? I heard a swipe at Tom Cruise.

I thought the gay reference was about all the stories that have resurfaced lately about John Travolta. Just not necessary, given all he's been through lately. He can poke fun at Hollywood and the credibility of the Globes all he wants, but that wasn't really either-especially since Travolta and Cruise weren't in any of the nominated movies. Cheap, lazy potshot.

Back
Top Bottom