Ghostbusters...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I know I appear to be something of a film luddite, but one thing I am certain I share in common with many of you here is a love of Ghostbusters. The first is obviously an all-time classic and I think there's plenty of fun to be found in the sequel too.

As I'm sure you're all aware the third film in the franchise has finally been announced. Not the Ivan Reitman-directed, Akyroyd-Murray-starring Ghostbusters III that has denied and confirmed a million times, but directed by Bridesmaids' Paul Feig and starring an all-female cast including Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones. July 22 2016 is the release date. Also worth noting it's a reboot, not Ghostbusters III.

I'm pretty excited, I had always wanted a reboot but was always a bit wary about it starring the original cast, firstly because Bill Murray has always seemed reluctant but now also Harold Ramis is dead. So I think something completely fresh would be quite cool.

Of course the news that it would be an all-female cast has men all over the internet up in arms, which has been pretty entertaining in itself.

What are your thoughts? NB this thread can also be used simply to quote the original.

At least it's not a scene-for-scene remake. The idea of something like that being able to in any way compare to the original is far more insulting than someone twisting the concept. Plus, Wiig and McCarthy have chemistry. It should be entertaining.

I love Kristen Wiig. There was a rumour going around Lizzie Caplan was gonna be in it, that's pretty much the only thing I'm bummed about.

Kristen Wiig is cute and funny. A very nice combination. I'm glad she's been around more since Bridesmaids. I liked her in Skeleton Twins last year, which was a more dramatic turn for her.

I believe they were all set to do a real GBIII and then Ramis passed and they then seemed to immediately switch gears to, "LET'S DO LADY GHOSTBUSTERS!"

When did they confirm the cast? As of yesterday, those names were just strong rumors.

Also, I know they're saying "reboot", but I can't see any reason not to just make this film part of the same universe. Just do Ghostbusters the Next Generation and move on. That allows you to open the floor to fun references, cameos, etc.

This is where it would be great if we could embed tweets. Check Paul Feig's last two tweets. Not "official" confirmation, but fairly strong, I'd say.

And from an RS article

Back when the new Ghostbusters film was announced, Feig made it clear that this was a reboot and not Ghostbusters 3. "I love the first one so much, I don't want to do anything to ruin the memory of that," Feig said. "So it just felt like, let's just restart it because then we can have new dynamics. I want the technology to be even cooler. I want it to be really scary, and I want it to happen in our world today that hasn't gone through it so it's like, oh my God what's going on?"

I think it over on the AV Club that Feig stated it was a total reboot and that events of the original films had never happened in the world of the upcoming film.

So same deal as the Amazing Spider-Man films, although I guess Star Trek was a reboot that still managed to include Nimoy's Spock...

Back
Top Bottom