Game of Thrones, continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once again, Arya/Hound is the clear standout. Pure joy.

I do love the tense and smoky Sansa/Littlefinger open, as well as Oberyn's shit-talking.

The winners of tonight's episode:

1. Arya/Hound
2. Sansa/Littlefinger
3. Prince Oberyn
4. Tywin
5. The dude who looks way different than the previous actor, who winked at Daenerys and will probably get to have great sex with her
6. Diana Rigg - This sexy bitch basically admitted to being in on the Joffrey murder, right?
7. Tyrion is always on the list of winners, really no matter what happens

The losers:

1. Sam/Gilly - This shit is unnecessary and boring
2. Those villagers who were all like "The Wildings are coming!" and got murdered - Fuck everything that has to do with this plot
3. Jon Snow - Fuck this guy, he's lame
4. Stannis - He's always a little bit of a bitch
5. Cersei/Jaime - We get it. I hope you both die.
6. Those three other dudes who Daenerys doesn't want to fuck as much as she wants to fuck that one dude who looked way different last season

Kind of a lame episode. The scenes were going on considerably longer than usual and it put the pacing off. Usually when a scene is done in one location we cut away to another plotline, but here they would cut right to another scene with the same characters in another location.

Didn't really do much for me outside of the moving scene with Tyrion saying goodbye to his squire, and the Daenerys sequence.

Especially when they casually change Jaime and Cersei banging in the sept into a fucking rape scene.

That scene was painful. Just unnecessary.

Maybe it's because Joffrey is dead, but the episode was the most lackluster yet. Sansa's story is finally moving along but that's all. And the hell is winter going to come after all the hype from Ned Stark and those white walkers? Also that scene in the pleasure house was also pointless and didn't advance anything. Just an excuse for being gratuitous, that's all.

Completely unnecessary and undoes all the strides in character Jaime made in S3. I'm not going to quibble over changes to the books because they're two separate entities and many changes have been positive (famously the Arya and Tywin scenes in S2). I don't give a shit at all that they cut Strong Belwas entirely and had Daario fight the champion of Meereen, for example. I just can't even fathom why making Jaime a rapist was a good idea though. It took a lot to get people to root for him after the attempted murder of a child, but that's why his arc is so great. Now all the good in him will be overshadowed by turning a consensual (but admittedly in poor taste) sex scene into a rape.

Once again, Arya/Hound is the clear standout. Pure joy.

I do love the tense and smoky Sansa/Littlefinger open, as well as Oberyn's shit-talking.

The winners of tonight's episode:

2. Sansa/Littlefinger

I wouldn't call Sansa a winner. Yes, she's out of the snakepit that is King's Landing. But ending up with Littlefinger might not be much of an improvement.

5. The dude who looks way different than the previous actor, who winked at Daenerys and will probably get to have great sex with her

Daario, played by Dutch actor Michiel Huisman. Yeah, his fighting scene was badass. One throw, one cut and that pissin' champion and his horse were dead.

The losers:

3. Jon Snow - Fuck this guy, he's lame

How come? He did very well in my eyes. Showing some leadership, probably pissing off Alisser Thorne (the acting Lord Commander). OK, pissing him off might not be that preferable, but at least he thought things through.

6. Those three other dudes who Daenerys doesn't want to fuck as much as she wants to fuck that one dude who looked way different last season

Why are they the losers of the episode? They weren't badass winners by beating that Meereen warrior, but that doesn't automatically make them losers, IMO.

As if the others ever had a chance (especially the one who commands the unsullied army :) ).

Then again, I should've known better. That was GAF speaking, the one who loves young women fucking. :p

Especially when they casually change Jaime and Cersei banging in the sept into a fucking rape scene.

Maybe it's because Joffrey is dead, but the episode was the most lackluster yet. Sansa's story is finally moving along but that's all. And the hell is winter going to come after all the hype from Ned Stark and those white walkers? Also that scene in the pleasure house was also pointless and didn't advance anything. Just an excuse for being gratuitous, that's all.

Completely unnecessary and undoes all the strides in character Jaime made in S3. I'm not going to quibble over changes to the books because they're two separate entities and many changes have been positive (famously the Arya and Tywin scenes in S2). I don't give a shit at all that they cut Strong Belwas entirely and had Daario fight the champion of Meereen, for example. I just can't even fathom why making Jaime a rapist was a good idea though. It took a lot to get people to root for him after the attempted murder of a child, but that's why his arc is so great. Now all the good in him will be overshadowed by turning a consensual (but admittedly in poor taste) sex scene into a rape.

It sounds like this may simply be a terrible case of direction, because here's director Alex Graves' talking about the scene:

Well, it becomes consensual by the end, because anything for them ultimately results in a turn-on, especially a power struggle. Nobody really wanted to talk about what was going on between the two characters, so we had a rehearsal that was a blocking rehearsal. And it was very much about the earlier part with Charles (Dance) and the gentle verbal kidnapping of Cersei's last living son. Nikolaj came in and we just went through one physical progression and digression of what they went through, but also how to do it with only one hand, because it was Nikolaj. By the time you do that and you walk through it, the actors feel comfortable going home to think about it. The only other thing I did was that ordinarily, you rehearse the night before, and I wanted to rehearse that scene four days before, so that we could think about everything. And it worked out really well. That's one of my favorite scenes I've ever done.

So I guess it's not supposed to be a rape? Just a horribly put-together scene?

Favorite scenes he's ever done? Poor choice of words.

That's the second time Game of Thrones has turned a consensual yet awkward sex scene into rape. Remember Daenerys' wedding night? Even the two actors there admitted to being uncomfortable. Chances are, so we're Heady and Coster-Waldau. Actors sometimes have to do what they're told.

I wouldn't call Sansa a winner. Yes, she's out of the snakepit that is King's Landing. But ending up with Littlefinger might not be much of an improvement.

I think you're reading too much into my post. I was just sketching out my thoughts on the parts of the episode I liked, and the parts I didn't like. Not necessarily whether the characters themselves are in good positions within the bigger story. I got a kick out of the Sansa/Littlefinger opening scene. Therefore, they were one of the winners of the episode, in my mind.

How come? He did very well in my eyes. Showing some leadership, probably pissing off Alisser Thorne (the acting Lord Commander). OK, pissing him off might not be that preferable, but at least he thought things through.

I don't like Jon Snow all that much. I never really have. Sorry. The Night's Watch shit, and all the shit north of the wall, has been my least favorite area of focus on this show since Season 1.

Dear show:

Thanks for the reminder that we aren't supposed to like Jamie, because he's a shitty, shitty person, even though he only has one hand and is fun to watch with Brienne.

We feel sufficiently scolded, thanks.

The Jamie/Cersei seen was awful but I don't know, I'm not mad at the show about it. It's consistent with Jamie's character, I think. Many of us would like to believe that he was somehow "redeemed" by his sympathetic demeanor of late, but I never felt that way. All this latest scene shows is that he is not one-dimensional.

And sadly this kind of "it's not really rape because we are in a relationship already" rape is more common than we'd like to think. I'm sure there's more than one so-called "good guy" who has done this sort of thing.

Burn Gorman is Willem Dafoe's pseudonym right?

How hot was Sansa? (Answer: Very hot)

How great was Tyrion and Jaime's one-on-one convo? (Very great)

And the one with Bronn, too? (Yes)

And the goodbye to Brienne? (Felt like lovely partings, almost Sherman-Palladinoesque)

Would you have sex with the Mother of Dragons? (Yes)

An episode that doesn't have Melisandre makes the show feel WAY less like True Blood, right? (Oh god, yes. She's an awful character, and she'll never fully fit in this world. Go hang out with Sookie and Eric.)

The Jon Snow shit is the worst thing in the episode, yes? (Yes, and it's not even close. How about we have a scene where a room of people slowly volunteer for an unexpected leader?)

If there is one more episode without Arya, I'll kill Martin himself and parade his fat, broken, blue and bloodied face up and down the stacks of my local Public Library.

I switched right over to AMC for MM after the episode ended. The tail end of Turn was on when what to my wandering eyes should appear but... Burn Gorman. Everything's coming up Burn!

Well, until Jon Snow shoves Longclaw through his throat next week.

Back
Top Bottom