Game of Thrones, continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not even the pilot. Is it really worth it?

I mean if you want to watch a show that has action, sci-fi, comedy, romance, philosophy and is responsible for some of the greatest hours of TV ever, you should prob try Season 1.

I will say that I'm not sure binge watching does the show any favors in the sense that part of the fun of watching it was talking with people between episodes and sharing theories about what was happening, much like what GOT is still able to inspire. But I imagine even without that bonus it should still be very enjoyable.

That's what I'm afraid of, that I missed the boat on what was special, the conversations each week.

lost was one of those shows that i started watching when it first premiered and really liked it, but missed a few weeks for whatever reason and then felt like i had missed so much of the story that i didn't know what was going on anymore (in the days before you could just download the episodes you missed). i really should get back into it.

Lost was fantastic, but I wish I could get some sort of edited down version, because a lot of the flashbacks are completely unnecessary. I’ve watched the whole thing three times, and some of the flashbacks really felt like a slog on rewatching.

That's what I'm afraid of, that I missed the boat on what was special, the conversations each week.

If you watch it with hubby you can still have that!

Lost was fantastic, but I wish I could get some sort of edited down version, because a lot of the flashbacks are completely unnecessary. I’ve watched the whole thing three times, and some of the flashbacks really felt like a slog on rewatching.

Yeah, I wonder if there is any fan edit floating around that trims some of the treading water fat that went up through the first half of S3 before they made their end date agreement with the network.

Probably not because it would be a massive undertaking.

I do feel like there is a list of "skippable" episodes that don't contain essential information.

Last edited:
I got spoiled on how it ends, finally, watching Jeopardy last week, that kinda pissed me off.

Trust me, a Jeopardy answer isn’t long enough to spoil much of what happens or answer the multitude of questions that are raised over the course of the show.

I haven’t seen the show but it’s my understanding that jeopardy ruining the show’s ending is significantly less disappointing than the actual ending itself.

I never watched Lost at the time and the main reason I have never caught up on it is because everyone seemed so universally angry about how it ended that I figured it was not worth my time getting invested in a show that would only disappoint me. On the other hand, I still have no idea how it ended, so I could still watch it unspoiled.

As for this week's Game of Thrones, wow, well, that was an episode. Going to take some time to process my thoughts.

Anyone who was still on Team Dany needs to switch sides though, she's cancelled.

RIP Daenerys Targaryen, murdered by screenwriters.

I don't know how anyone could claim they didn't see this coming. It was extremely in character. I might have gone "oh god" when it happened but that was in the "yep, here we go" sense rather than "oh no they didn't".

Hell, I've been expecting this (as in, the general vibe, not specifically how it would happen) since I read the books, never mind the show getting ahead of them.

It was predictable but I would argue it was not in character. But most importantly, they did not sell her transformation at all. Daenerys becoming Viserys in the course of 3 episodes is crazy.

Her idea of empathy and mercy has always been rather narrow, only extended to those who pledge loyalty to her or at least act in her interests. Her single-minded mania for the Iron Throne was, to me, always going to end in something horrid and demonstrate that her talk about being a good and beloved leader was just that: high-minded but empty talk.

Perhaps I should spoiler tag this specific bit:

I did find it a little over-the-top that she so thoroughly burned the city rather than going straight for Cersei though.

Her idea of empathy and mercy has always been rather narrow, only extended to those who pledge loyalty to her or at least act in her interests. Her single-minded mania for the Iron Throne was, to me, always going to end in something horrid and demonstrate that her talk about being a good and beloved leader was just that: high-minded but empty talk.

Perhaps I should spoiler tag this specific bit:

I did find it a little over-the-top that she so thoroughly burned the city rather than going straight for Cersei though.

That’s what I mean. Had she destroyed only the castle I think it would have been understandable and in character. There’s nothing in her arc that would lead me to believe she would become a mass murderer of civilians.

Good lesson in white savior complex though.

The first half of that episode was flaming hot garbage. They fucking butchered Tyrion's character with that stupid "Jamie, escape with Cersei" nonsense. Then Dany destroys King's Landing, endangering her own soldiers, instead of doing the obvious avenging Missandei by destroying the Red Keep.

But...Cleganebowl! And it was fucking good!

Last edited:
Trust me, a Jeopardy answer isn’t long enough to spoil much of what happens or answer the multitude of questions that are raised over the course of the show.
What I mean by that is I went out of my way for years to avoid finding out what the BIG ending was and was always proud of not knowing, in case I ever watched it and then Jeopardy was like, hey Ashley, fuck you. That pissed me off.

I'll try out the first season once I'm caught up on Brooklyn 99, which is my current obsession.
It was predictable but I would argue it was not in character. But most importantly, they did not sell her transformation at all. Daenerys becoming Viserys in the course of 3 episodes is crazy.
When they tried to sell her transformation with a hastily edited sequence during the previously in game of Thrones segment, I was out on this episode.

I strongly disagree that this lines up with her character in the book.

I did not see that coming with Jaime but boy am I disappointed.

Cleganebowl, though, was everything I wanted.

It is a tale told by an idiot two idiots, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

To be fair, I have to assume this arc for Dany was told to them by Martin, which is unfortunate. But one would like to think he'll do a little bit better making the case for it (if he ever finishes the series himself). And of course, I'm assuming they (and HBO) were free to change that arc, which they should have.

There's really no way this is salvaged, right? Like, who would actually cheer on Arya (or Jon) killing Dany at this point?

Sorry for being the spoiler tag caller. Typically a new line suffices though... I think anyone who comes in the thread after the episode deserves spoilers. But the first line of the post shows up as a preview, even if you don’t come into the thread.

Anyways.

Hot garbage. Varys literally told everyone of his plans. Suddenly he’s an idiot? After 8 seasons of being the best people’s spy?

And suddenly the same iron fleet she had to abandon fighting, lose all her ships, and have her best friend captured was nothing but a fucking joyride the second go round with only one dragon and no supporting ships?

And Dany has no interest in just going for the red keep? I’m not buying her sudden meltdown after the surrender. Why did she melt down? No clear indication.

Oh and all of the sudden all of the northern soldiers and Dothraki and unsullied turn straight up evil. Marauding, murdering civilians, attacking John Snow willingly. Greyworm is just evil and attacks unarmed surrendering soldiers.

Hot. Garbage.

I’m annoyed. Suspension of disbelief is gone. I can’t stand when tv shows make characters do things that are stupid and most certainly out of character, and about half of the characters were out of character there.

I didn't get into it in my last post, but they did Jaime dirty. What a fucking joke his "arc" was. Tyrion trying to save Jaime and Cersei was stupid enough (who is Tyrion anymore?), but it didn't even lead to redemption of any kind. Now that farewell to Brienne seems even more bizarre.

Sandor yelling "fucking die already" at Gregor while jamming a sword into his neck really sums this season up.

Last edited:
Sorry for being the spoiler tag caller. Typically a new line suffices though... I think anyone who comes in the thread after the episode deserves spoilers. But the first line of the post shows up as a preview, even if you don’t come into the thread.

Anyways.

Hot garbage. Varys literally told everyone of his plans. Suddenly he’s an idiot? After 8 seasons of being the best people’s spy?

And suddenly the same iron fleet she had to abandon fighting, lose all her ships, and have her best friend captured was nothing but a fucking joyride the second go round with only one dragon and no supporting ships?

And Dany has no interest in just going for the red keep? I’m not buying her sudden meltdown after the surrender. Why did she melt down? No clear indication.

Oh and all of the sudden all of the northern soldiers and Dothraki and unsullied turn straight up evil. Marauding, murdering civilians, attacking John Snow willingly. Greyworm is just evil and attacks unarmed surrendering soldiers.

Hot. Garbage.

I’m annoyed. Suspension of disbelief is gone. I can’t stand when tv shows make characters do things that are stupid and most certainly out of character, and about half of the characters were out of character there.

SPOILER FILLED POST AHEAD:

While it has been poorly executed, I do think that Dany's break from character is intentional, as in she's living up to her family's reputation of going mad. It's actually what I expected to happen and they've been setting it up all season; the writing just hasn't been great.

But yeah, her entire army devolving into raping and pillaging was beyond the pale.

Cersei, meanwhile, was true to her character to the bitter end. With the city burning down around her, she didn't give a fuck about anyone but herself (and her baby), not even Jaime.

So I assume next week we get Arya assassinating the Mad Queen. I hope I am wrong because it's too predictable, but it looks like we are heading that way. And either Jon (if he survives) or Sansa end up on the Iron Throne.

If they can even find the Iron Throne at this point.

I think Jon ends up beyond the wall with Ghost after declining to take the throne.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom