Game of Thrones, continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The timeline about Cersei's pregnancy is also so ridiculous, by the way. So she is supposed to have gotten pregnant before the dragon pit meeting at the end of season 7. Since then, armies have marched North, fought the NK, and marched back south. And yet her pregnancy doesn't show?

Also, will Euron Greyjoy realize that if Tyrion knows about the pregnancy, the child is not his?

wsr4801q3iw21.jpg

I highly doubt Tyrion knew. He's an emotional guy sometimes and I think he really was just appealing to her because he does believe she'll be killed.

Tyrion knows she will do anything to maintain her family control of the throne. The inbred bastard can’t be king or queen.

This is Joffrey all over again IMO. Tyrion knows.

There's no way for Tyrion to know that Euron thinks that's his baby.

I feel like I just proposed a perfectly valid explanation though. Tyrion was around when Cersei was married to Robert Baratheon and Cersei used her son as a means to leverage power. She convinced Robert that that was his child, legitimizing the child and allowing her to use that to exert her control over Robert.

She’s doing the same thing the Euron and Tyrion probably knows it. Using her unborn son as leverage to keep Euron in check.

I get what you're saying, but I just don't see it that way. Based on his character in the books and on the show, to me, it's way more in character that he was trying to save her.

Well that’s what i mean by a “checkmate” move.

Tyrion wants, more than anything else, for there not to be a slaughter.

He appealed to her emotion where, if unsuccessful, she will experience a mutiny and lose her control over the only thing keeping her in the game. Without Euron, in theory, she stands no chance.

I'd say chances of that happening are above 80%.

I also don't believe the story can be finished in only two books.

I am convinced GRRM will finish book six but not seven.

And I am absolutely fucking furious about Euron's little ol' dragon ambush. Am I seriously meant to believe that neither Dany nor either dragon noticed this huge fucking fleet taking up half the bloody ocean? Like, sure, Dany's having too much fun up there riding, whatever, but neither dragon saw it coming? Get real. When the shot was first fired I assumed we were about to see a sniper hidden on a clifftop or something.

God, this season. I couldn't watch episode two for five days and I was initially amazed that with minimal effort I managed to avoid spoilers for that whole time. Then I watched it and realised I avoided spoilers because it was a boring as shit episode with almost nothing to spoil. Episode three was largely exciting in the moment, the abysmal lighting aside, but the more I think about it the more I am irked by basic flaws that I am sure would not have occurred if there were a whole book of source material to use. And now this.

I am especially bugged by the Night King being defeated so abruptly, with three mega-episodes thereafter, given that the books start with a chapter about the mysterious Others beyond the Wall. I expected we would learn a lot more about the Children of the Forest and the First Men and that this would ultimately overshadow squabbles about the throne. Instead it basically just... ended, with so many unanswered questions. At least Arya did it.

I am convinced GRRM will finish book six but not seven.
And I am absolutely fucking furious about Euron's little ol' dragon ambush. Am I seriously meant to believe that neither Dany nor either dragon noticed this huge fucking fleet taking up half the bloody ocean? Like, sure, Dany's having too much fun up there riding, whatever, but neither dragon saw it coming? Get real. When the shot was first fired I assumed we were about to see a sniper hidden on a clifftop or something.

It's funny you mention that:

[TWEET]1125580781760524288[/TWEET]

I mean, can you get any sloppier?

I was about to come here and post this. It's incredible.

Good read today by Ben Lindbergh on the accumulation of poor decisions because they're rushing to the end.

https://www.theringer.com/game-of-t...794/game-of-thrones-ending-too-quickly-pacing

Euron repeatedly pops up to even the odds, bearing weapons we didn’t know existed (except in a far less effective form). Dany “forgot about” his fleet, which she was warned about in the previous scene. (We have ample evidence that Jon, while brave and skilled at swordplay, is legitimately bad at battle strategy, but someone should be better at this.) Those legendary dragons are easy fodder for projectiles, and Dany doesn’t hold off on her strafing run until nighttime or simply circle around from the stern. Cersei, never one to be bound by propriety, passes up a chance to take a shot at Dany (or at the very least, her hand) instead of beheading the dragon queen’s personal assistant. And Euron doesn’t react when Tyrion announces that he knows about the baby Euron believes to be his son.

If Thrones loses its last war because its stewards wanted their watch to be over, the series’ rushed ending could be remembered as one of TV’s all-time unforced errors. Shepherding Thrones is a draining responsibility, and D&D can’t be blamed for wanting to do something different after working on Thrones for more than 12 years (although they can be blamed for Confederate). Handing off the series they started to someone else would have been a difficult decision, but it may have been the best one if their hearts and minds were far, far away. Pushing to end a series sooner than the network and audience dictated isn’t always a worrisome sign, but the only winner will be George R.R. Martin if the results in this case are closer to Lost’s than Breaking Bad’s.

Amen.

Last edited:
At this point, for my enjoyment of the tv series, I think I'm glad I haven't read the books.

There is enough to criticize about the last two seasons without also knowing what they fucked up from the source material

i love how people who were ragging on me for nitpicking star wars in that thread are in here nitpicking game of thrones 100x harsher than i ever did there [emoji23]

Some of the Star Wars nitpicking had to do with matters of physics and realism in a fantasy world.

The "nitpicking" in here is requesting a prospective queen of seven kingdoms to be able to see an enormous fleet of ships 200 feet below her. This doesn't happen because the plot can't move forward as written if she had the observational skills of a normal human being, let alone an experienced leader of men.

Yep. And I made that distinction earlier, in that GOT spends a lot of screen time on strategy which makes throwing away logic more egregious. Star Wars doesn’t have this contradiction.

Also, nitpicking a 70-hour show vs a 2-hour movie is different.

But in any case, most of the thread is not about nitpicking specific moments, it's to use these moments as examples of the broader problems affecting storytelling, character development and writing in general in the show.

Exactly. And when you have that much more time to develop characters, people get to know them a lot more and can easily detect when they aren’t acting within acceptable historical boundaries.

Yes she has. There is no way I'm watching Lost. I am busy and life is busy and I don't have the fucking time to do most of the things I want to do let alone watch an old TV show I'm not really interested in.

If he were to die before finishing they might bring in another author to finish up the series - like what they did with Robert Jordan and the Wheel Of Time series.
This is what I told Travis yesterday morning. I've and Fire WILL be finished but probably Ala wheel of time

Well that’s what i mean by a “checkmate” move.

Tyrion wants, more than anything else, for there not to be a slaughter.

He appealed to her emotion where, if unsuccessful, she will experience a mutiny and lose her control over the only thing keeping her in the game. Without Euron, in theory, she stands no chance.
Referring back to the books again, because I can't help it. Imo, Tyrion wouldn't do that because Euron is insane and dangerous and by saying that, if he knew that Euron didn't know, he immediately put his sister's life in danger, surrender or no surrender.

Back
Top Bottom