Game of Thrones, continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’m suggesting she’s the faceless man and she’s taken the face of that white walker.
I'm going to put on the nerd glasses and say that wow the show has completely ruined how the house of black and white works. Arya does not have magical powers. She can't just shapeshift into other people's faces.

I'm going to put on the nerd glasses and say that wow the show has completely ruined how the house of black and white works. Arya does not have magical powers. She can't just shapeshift into other people's faces.
If it's not magical powers then what is it? Seemed pretty magical when she looked like Walder Frey that one time.

Come to think of it, they have not explained how Arya's faceless powers work in a clear way at all. At least on the show. And it's kind of become a forgotten part of the story. I'll bet it shows up in a big way at some point in these last three episodes.

I don't think that was her as a White Walker in the last episode, btw.

If it's not magical powers then what is it? Seemed pretty magical when she looked like Walder Frey that one time.

Come to think of it, they have not explained how Arya's faceless powers work in a clear way at all. At least on the show. And it's kind of become a forgotten part of the story. I'll bet it shows up in a big way at some point in these last three episodes.

I don't think that was her as a White Walker in the last episode, btw.
Thus why I absolutely despised that Frey plot line. It just seemed way beyond what is discribed in the books of how it works.

There is some magic involved, but she can't just take on any face in a moment.

This article is REALLY good at summerizing what happened, plus they called Arya killing the NK: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...on-7-episode-6-bag-of-faces-faceless-man-arya

Cool, thanks. I'll check out that article tomorrow. I should probably get some sleep but I keep wanting to stay up and bullshit about Game of Thrones with my online friends.

Interference is back!

Seriously, I'm just glad to see a lively thread on Interference in 2019. The discussion is pretty good and impassioned too, which is nice.

You don't care that the Night King was killed in seconds with hardly any suspense, foreshadowing or struggle? Arya killing him isn't an issue at all, it's obviously badass as fuck, but definitely anticlimactic in the way the sequence was shot.

Oh, I care about how the whole end game of the NK was written. What I didn't have any problem with was with showing Arya getting ready to kill him. That would have been out of character and unnecessary after the foreshadowing with Melisandre (seriously, did anyone not think that she would play a key role at the end of the episode after that exchange?).

Everything leading to that moment kind of sucked, but the moment itself was fine with me? I wish they would have given better explanations of the NK's weaknesses - which could have been done through Bran's visions and established, for example, that his only vulnerability was the spot where he was stabbed with dragonglass when he was first created.

Thus why I absolutely despised that Frey plot line. It just seemed way beyond what is discribed in the books of how it works.

There is some magic involved, but she can't just take on any face in a moment.

This article is REALLY good at summerizing what happened, plus they called Arya killing the NK: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...on-7-episode-6-bag-of-faces-faceless-man-arya

A Mission Impossible storyline where Arya removes a white walker mask after she kills the NK would have irked me to no end.

At one point I thought she might have been "hiding" as Bran and would have surprised the NK at the last minute.

Be that as it may (or however that fancy saying goes [emoji851]), Arya does have magical powers in the show. Sorry, but one doesn’t have the ability to call in another actor and use their voice, only to secretly be inside their body and wearing an amazing highest quality ever produced mask of another human being.

Idk what they got wrong from the books, but my suspension of disbelief is out the window if she doesn’t have the ability to take the face of specific people. And to me it appears as though she can take the face of those she kills. Or something.

But do recall they're actual physical faces, she had them in a bag last season. So if nothing else, she can't just snap her fingers and take on a face, even on the show.

Fwiw, this is also why I don't care for where Arya's plot went in the books or in the show. This whole taking on faces thing introduced way too many issues, and room for all sorts of deus ex machinas as well.

Fwiw, this is also why I don't care for where Arya's plot went in the books or in the show. This whole taking on faces thing introduced way too many issues, and room for all sorts of deus ex machinas as well.

So I take it you didn't like Terminator Waif?

But do recall they're actual physical faces, she had them in a bag last season. So if nothing else, she can't just snap her fingers and take on a face, even on the show.

I do recall they’re actual faces, to ehh h I was displeased, but said to myself “it’s part of the magic” that she takes the physical face of her victim. At no point in time is there any suggestion she has meticulously skinned a victims body, nor sat at a crafting table being an artist from another world.

And I won’t buy that if it’s supposed to be the case. She uses their voice.

I think I get the luxury of not having the book to compare to here.

I curious about what they will do with the remaining three episode. I will be somewhat disappointed if it is predictably just (i) setting the pieces for the battle with Cersei; (ii) the battle with Cersei; (iii) denouement and Jon/Dany coming to terms with who is the rightful heir.

I'm of the opinion, and hope, that the plot with the NK is NOT over. I'm probably in denial, but I can live with it.

I do recall they’re actual faces, to ehh h I was displeased, but said to myself “it’s part of the magic” that she takes the physical face of her victim. At no point in time is there any suggestion she has meticulously skinned a victims body, nor sat at a crafting table being an artist from another world.

And I won’t buy that if it’s supposed to be the case. She uses their voice.

I think I get the luxury of not having the book to compare to here.
If you read the article, I think it kind of explains how she's able to do those things. I still think her being Walder Frey was far beyond the abilities laid out in the book, but that's life, it's not perfect.

So I take it you didn't like Terminator Waif?
This was probably not the show's first shark jump, but it was the point where I realized it probably wasn't being guided by the source material as much anymore. So damn goofy.

Also one of the funniest things I've seen on GoT.

I'm of the opinion, and hope, that the plot with the NK is NOT over. I'm probably in denial, but I can live with it.

As much as I'd like for you to be right, I don't think the show is heading that way. They were eager to get rid of the fantasy elements as quickly as possible.

Plot-wise, it seems clear now that the NK's primary role in the last two seasons was to make sure the Dany vs Cersei fight was a balanced one. Dany could have done away with Cersei in S07E02, and then the sequence of stupid Tyrion plans took over to make Dany lose a dragon and her army while Cersei got the Golden Company and now looks like a formidable rival. It drives me crazy how none of those decisions made sense in the story.

Cersei is way too overpowered in general, but I do expect mad queen Dany vs Jon to be the final episode.

I just started this series and finished the 3rd episode. I'm guessing it must get pretty good, eh?

Haha you son of a bitch. How's life? Let's hijack the Game of Thrones thread and turn it into a chat thread. It'll be the new Superthread. You, me, LeMel, Ashley. We can get Axver and Bonnie and all those people over here too.

Hehe. Life is swell; I showed Em my trolling in this thread and she said Danny Boy's response to one of my posts was exceptional. How's life for you?

Hehe. Life is swell; I showed Em my trolling in this thread and she said Danny Boy's response to one of my posts was exceptional. How's life for you?
Life is good. Just smoked a bowl, gonna go meet some friends for drinks. For some reason getting involved in the discussion on this thread got me feeling super nostalgic and I had flashbacks to when this forum was so much fun and so so active. I had a similar feeling when I went back and looked at the old LOST thread. And then I kinda tried to resurrect some talk about Community (the greatest show ever) but it didn't work.

Something about television discussion in Zoo Station makes me think of the good ol days.

Yeah man, those were some of my favourite times too. We were all so passionate about a select group of shows and we'd all watch around the same time and then just post over and over after episodes aired. I treasure those mems.

I never really take part in TV threads because I'm almost always behind :sad:

Same here. And in any case, the way we consume TV has changed so much that we rarely watch the same shows at the same time anymore.

Ser Jorah :sad:

That last episode was a fucking mess. I loved the previous one though, great character work. But the battle tactics in Ep.3 were totally idiotic, and in a show that talks about strategy so much it's unforgivable.

I think the other big issue argued over is not that more big characters should have died, but that they shouldn't have had so many characters in dire positions that they all somehow managed to survive.

Also, if you want to see what a truly great epic battle looks like, go back to Helm's Deep. The writing and direction here was amateur hour by comparison. And even on GOT they've done a better job in the past with these types of episodes.

Back
Top Bottom